Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  25 second rule 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

25 second rule

(Read 2217 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 04:08 PM »

No let experiment, really?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11 PM »

I think there is a trial going on at the moment in the lower level but do not know how it is going. We will just have to wait and see. confused
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 04:20 PM »

No let experiment, really?
From the link in previous post
The ATP Board also approved a trial elimination of the service let on the ATP Challenger Tour only, for the first three months of 2013.

Although let services can be annoying, I think it would be a miserable way to lose a set or a match if the serve hit the net and dribbled over.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 08:04 PM »

I think Andy was doing a bit of stretching - arm and shoulder, when he got the warning. Probably knew he was risking it.

The ATP announced in September that they would enforce the 25 second time violation penalties from 2013, and changed them slightly. It's a warning 1st time, then a fault for the server if he is taking too long, or a point penalty for the receiver if he is delaying things.

Slams are different, and I think 20 seconds is correct which seems tough on the players - feel it ought to be the same.

I read complaints that there weren't any Challenger events last week, and concerns that the number of tournaments has been cut. It will be interesting to see though how the "no let" experiment goes. Don't like the sound of it myself!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/09/Feature/ATP-Board-Approves-Change-In-Time-Violation-Penalty.aspx

There were the usual two, Sao Paulo and Noumea. None this week, but there never are the week before a Slam because it's the Qualifying week.

There has been a very significant reduction this year though and it's very worrying. Becomes even harder for the lower ranked players to break through and many are expected to call it a day due to lack of funding.

It also filters down to Futures level with many more higher ranked players playing Futures - this week Edmund, Bambridge, Marsalek and Broady have had to go through qualifying - Edmund's ranking would normally get him a good-high seed in the main draw.

Outside the main tour tennis is in a dire state.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Just watched highlights of last year's SF and counted the seconds between points.  Andy usually did it in about 17 seconds but Nole took upto 30 in some cases and was always on the edge.  Hope he can manage to sort this or that they stick to the rule.  20 does seem a bit silly in the heat and 5 set matches.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 05:55 PM »

Well I hope it is introduced for all players and I mean all players. Nole can take longer bouncing the ball as many times. Delpotro is also very slow and what about  Nadal he goes through his routine all the time much longer than 25 seconds. It will only be fair if all players are treated in the same way.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Aussie Open umps will be flexible on time violations

It appears as if chair umpires at the Australian Open will not be calling time violations as strictly as ATP officials have been in recent weeks. ATP tournament rules permit players to take 25 seconds in between points, while the Grand Slam events have a 20-second rule.

Australian Open tournament referee Wayne McEwen told AAP that the tournament will be flexible and that he has instructed chair umpires "to keep it fair, keep it consistent......

...Novak Djokovic, who beat Rafael Nadal in a record-setting, five-hour and 53-minute final at the 2012 Australian Open, says that he will follow the letter of the law.

"I guess Nadal and myself, we're right up there mentioned in that topic as the players who would be always in danger of the time violation because of the time we are taking between the points,” he said. "It is the way it is. I cannot have any complaints when I take more than 20 seconds between the points. If the chair umpire comes to me and said, ‘Listen, you should be a little bit more careful about it.' If I do it again, he gives me warning, I can't complain about it. It's within the rules and I will respect it."

Full article at http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/01/aussie-open-umps-will-be-flexible-time-violations/45964/#.UPKzXdmZh8F
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »