Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your match result prediction?
Andy in 2 - 13 (43.3%)
Andy in 3 - 15 (50%)
Dimitrov in 2 - 2 (6.7%)
Dimitrov in 3 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov

(Read 13715 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #510 on: January 06, 2013, 10:03 PM »

I'm sorry, what was it Boogers said that people are getting so outraged about? Saying that Murray needed to 'cut out the brain farts'?

Some perspective, please.

The comment was made before he knew about Hutchins' illness. It was a perfectly fair comment given Murray's performances this week (second set v Millman, first few games v Nishikori and Dimitrov). He really be able to afford to handicap himself like that in matches against guys in the top 10 in big Slam matches.

Get off your high horses, seriously. Murray's had a patchy week, and he admitted as much himself. Whatever the reasons for them (and as we now know it is quite understandable - however Phil didn't know that when making the comment), he can't really afford to have spells like that at the AO if he is serious about winning it, particularly in the latter stages.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #511 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Great to see Andy won this.  Really looking forward to the AO. cmon yeah

Very sad news about Ross, though - what a blow.  Frown
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #512 on: January 06, 2013, 10:14 PM »

this is a test.....working on computer
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #513 on: January 06, 2013, 10:14 PM »

I'm sorry, what was it Boogers said that people are getting so outraged about? Saying that Murray needed to 'cut out the brain farts'?

The comment was made before he knew about Hutchins' illness. It was a perfectly fair comment given Murray's performances this week (second set v Millman, first few games v Nishikori and Dimitrov). He really be able to afford to handicap himself like that in matches against guys in the top 10 in big Slam matches.

Get off your high horses, seriously. Murray's had a patchy week, and he admitted as much himself. Whatever the reasons for them (and as we now know it is quite understandable - however Phil didn't know that when making the comment), he can't really afford to have spells like that at the AO if he is serious about winning it, particularly in the latter stages.
Well, as far as I can tell from watching Andy - he's pretty often patchy?  Of course Phil didn't know about Ross' illness, when he made his comment, but I think the point most people are making is that it's becoming very tiresome reading the usual negative derogatory remarks when Andy is not winning, or not playing as we'd like him to.  We all know what he's like and we all know he's not a machine and we all know we may well be disappointed as fans who want him to win by the way he plays.  We all get it!  It's not really a useful road to go down.  no
[ Last edit by Elly January 06, 2013, 10:23 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #514 on: January 06, 2013, 10:43 PM »

I'm sorry, what was it Boogers said that people are getting so outraged about?

Most people were asking for perspective, and that people should stop being outraged all of the time or acting as if Andy has run over your puppy just because he didn't play brilliantly on every point.  I was one of several people saying that it would be nice if people could find a way to discuss Andy's play that is honest, including acknowledging weaknesses, but without it having to be a disaster and all doom and gloom because he's not perfect.

IMO, a couple of people over-reacted to the 'brain-fart' comment, although if you read back Madhatter, you'll see that comment is irrelevant to most of the conversation.  There is a recurring theme that a few people just seem to revel in being miserable, and some members, myself included, find it all quite wearisome.  It's not about pretending Andy is perfect, it's about realising no-one is.

More specifically, people were upset earlier in the day because they saw Andy upset and the news about Ross, and some harsh things were said.  That doesn't make them right, but if we are attempting perspective, then a little understanding needs to be included in the mix.

Yes, Boogers first said what he said before Ross's illness was known, as several people already pointed out, but it was after it was known that Andy was upset about one of his friends being ill, so while I don't think it was malicious, it was thoughtless.  Today would have been a good day to give the doom mongering a rest, not least because Andy won the match and the tournament.   It's just feels as if negativity is being forced onto everyone, and frankly, there's no fun in that.  It's not why I'm here.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #515 on: January 06, 2013, 10:48 PM »

Boogers, I have defended you in the past, when you have insulted Andy through disappointment when he lost........or so I believed! However, you have made some dreadful, hurtful [if he should ever read them] remarks this week, when he has been 'winning'........winning every day! I find this intolerable and undeserved.......so, the next time you do this, I shall be hoping with all my heart, that your damn noodly appendage rots and drops off! Syc23......don't you dare apologise!
Oh Caz! lol

[ Last edit by Aileen January 06, 2013, 11:03 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #516 on: January 06, 2013, 10:58 PM »

Syc23......don't you dare apologise!
He should. He fabricated the idea that Phil knew of Ross's illness and therefore was being cruel with his negativity.
[ Last edit by Mark January 06, 2013, 11:03 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #517 on: January 06, 2013, 11:00 PM »

He should. It's one thing to criticise Phil for his negative comments but to then use Ross's illness as a way to suggest Phil was insensitive to the fact was very wrong.
I don't think anyone on here who 'knows' Phil will think that that.  For me, I just struggle with hearing derogatory comments and not fair criticism.  It's like having a child or a family member who sometimes doesn't live up to your expectations and you turn round and say - so you had brain farts today? - You just wouldn't - would you?  And in my opinion, if you did, it speaks volumes about you - not about them.
[ Last edit by Elly January 06, 2013, 11:25 PM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #518 on: January 06, 2013, 11:01 PM »

It's the first week of the season, a lot of top players underperformed this week, including djokovic himself losing to tomic which would have got him an early exit if he was in brisbane and not the hopman cup.

And did he not have "brain farts" in the US open and still won it? i really do not understand this perception people have that Andy has to be totally infallible every tournament he plays just to make us all happy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #519 on: January 06, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Most people were asking for perspective, and that people should stop being outraged all of the time or acting as if Andy has run over your puppy just because he didn't play brilliantly on every point.  I was one of several people saying that it would be nice if people could find a way to discuss Andy's play that is honest, including acknowledging weaknesses, but without it having to be a disaster and all doom and gloom because he's not perfect.

IMO, a couple of people over-reacted to the 'brain-fart' comment, although if you read back Madhatter, you'll see that comment is irrelevant to most of the conversation.  There is a recurring theme that a few people just seem to revel in being miserable, and some members, myself included, find it all quite wearisome.  It's not about pretending Andy is perfect, it's about realising no-one is.

More specifically, people were upset earlier in the day because they saw Andy upset and the news about Ross, and some harsh things were said.  That doesn't make them right, but if we are attempting perspective, then a little understanding needs to be included in the mix.

Yes, Boogers first said what he said before Ross's illness was known, as several people already pointed out, but it was after it was known that Andy was upset about one of his friends being ill, so while I don't think it was malicious, it was thoughtless.  Today would have been a good day to give the doom mongering a rest, not least because Andy won the match and the tournament.   It's just feels as if negativity is being forced onto everyone, and frankly, there's no fun in that.  It's not why I'm here.
I'm not excusing Boogers, but hasn't it occurred to anyone that being negative could be his coping mechanism?  Perhaps some of the older members might recall the equally negative, and frequently rude, comments made by Clydey and Joe, both of whom seem to have disappeared, for a while anyway.  If you don't like people's comments, then why read them?  After all you soon get to know who the culprits are.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #520 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06 PM »

You know, this is actually mildly irritating yet hilarious. If Murray plays a faultless match (win or not), and receives a glowing writeup - praise unending for the reporter... myself included, amusingly.

If Murray loses because he played badly and the subsequent report acknowledges it? Barely coherent screams of rage. It's pathetic. Sometimes Andy plays badly and loses - and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

Dire isn't really a pejorative term. In the cold harsh light of hindsight, it's easy to explain Murray's up-and-down performances away as a side-effect of Ross's illness. At the time it simply looked like he was playing badly. He lost a set (and almost a match) to a man who'd never strung together consecutive ATP wins. He fell a break behind multiple times against opponents he should be easily dispatching. In the slams, that won't be good enough.

In hindsight, it's easy to explain away the patchy performances using Ross's illness. Nobody knew that at the time.

Now, onto the multifarious complaints: 

Ross Hutchins has been diagnosed with cancer and you go and make this f-----g disgusting comment that he needs to cut that out for AO? You really are a nasty piece of work.

When that post was made, I didn't know Ross had cancer. So **** off.

Andy Murray isn't perfect but it is a bit galling when he is attacked on this forum by people like
Boogers who himself has not attained perfection as far as I can judge from his posts.

Attacked? Superlative cretinism. Mentioning that he's played badly by his standards is not "attacking" Murray. It's simply making an observation.

I obviously don't know the bloke, but I'm sure he'd be more embarrassed by the fuckwit sychophancy exhibited by some of the posters here than a benign and honest appreahisal of a performance.

Boogers, I have defended you in the past, when you have insulted Andy through disappointment when he lost........or so I believed! However, you have made some dreadful, hurtful [if he should ever read them] remarks this week, when he has been 'winning'........winning every day! I find this intolerable and undeserved.......so, the next time you do this, I shall be hoping with all my heart, that your damn noodly appendage rots and drops off! Syc23......don't you dare apologise!

Until after the final speech we had no idea he had something as weighty as a friend with cancer on his mind.

Wise words Caz. I am the same. Boogers you redeemed yourself with that actually quite joyful report of the Istomin match, but now you've dropped yourself back in with the sharks. Andy has needed support in his hardest times. Has it ever occurred to you to give it to him. I'm very unsure as to where your fanship lies. Syc23, ignore the hateful comments towards you. You are faithful to Andy and your defence to Boogers comment was needed. I actually thank you.

My word, what a pile of festering ********. Pull yourself out of the non-conformist dogpile and look at the timestamps on the posts.

Also to added what a ridiculous way to describe a crippling thought that has been on Andy's mind. Brain farts... phahaha.. my arse.

"Brain farts" is exactly how I would characterise this tournament, if I didn't know in retrospect that Ross has HL. Which I didn't. Nobody did.

So, in conclusion: a scrappy tournament win without facing a top ten player. His best friend has cancer, which is awful. Anything other than an AO semi would be underachieving.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #521 on: January 06, 2013, 11:07 PM »

He should. He fabricated the idea that Phil knew of Ross's illness and therefore was being cruel with his negativity.
Is that true?  Maybe he thought Phil knew?  There's a massive difference.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #522 on: January 06, 2013, 11:12 PM »

I'm not excusing Boogers, but hasn't it occurred to anyone that being negative could be his coping mechanism?

You may be right, Aileen. There are a bunch of people here who appear to be realists or pessimists  (Joe, Clydey, MadHatter, etc.) who have ways of coping.

What irritates me is that I don't think anyone has been pessimistic at all this week.

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #523 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18 PM »

You may be right, Aileen. There are a bunch of people here who appear to be realists or pessimists  (Joe, Clydey, MadHatter, etc.) who have ways of coping.

What irritates me is that I don't think anyone has been pessimistic at all this week.

Why should that irritate you?  It's not beyond reason to be objective and still support Andy.  No need to make his losses or wins that don't satisfy you subjective.  
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International 2013 F: Murray, OBE [1] vs. Dimitrov « Reply #524 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23 PM »

You know, this is actually mildly irritating yet hilarious. If Murray plays a faultless match (win or not), and receives a glowing writeup - praise unending for the reporter... myself included, amusingly.

If Murray loses because he played badly and the subsequent report acknowledges it? Barely coherent screams of rage. It's pathetic. Sometimes Andy plays badly and loses - and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

Dire isn't really a pejorative term. In the cold harsh light of hindsight, it's easy to explain Murray's up-and-down performances away as a side-effect of Ross's illness. At the time it simply looked like he was playing badly. He lost a set (and almost a match) to a man who'd never strung together consecutive ATP wins. He fell a break behind multiple times against opponents he should be easily dispatching. In the slams, that won't be good enough.

In hindsight, it's easy to explain away the patchy performances using Ross's illness. Nobody knew that at the time.

---------------

I obviously don't know the bloke, but I'm sure he'd be more embarrassed by the fuckwit sychophancy exhibited by some of the posters here than a benign and honest appraisal  of a performance.

---------------

So, in conclusion: a scrappy tournament win without facing a top ten player. His best friend has cancer, which is awful. Anything other than an AO semi would be underachieving.
thumb up  Although I'm not so sure about the use of the word 'benign' to describe some of your comments.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »