Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis

(Read 3693 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « on: January 05, 2012, 06:58 AM »

Now that these two are out of the doubles, it's time for Andy to concentrate on progressing further in the singles.

Baggy is a bit of a bogey player for Andy but he should be buoyed by the fact that he won their most recent encounter.  At the end of the day, H2H stats mean nothing, but here they are, just in case you are wondering Very Happy

I'm going for Andy to win it, as ugly as it may be cmonandy

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the OOP is not yet out for Friday (or not on the ATP site at least),

* Murray vs Baghdatis.png (270.85 KB, 736x886 - viewed 62 times.)
[ Last edit by Mark January 05, 2012, 08:09 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:03 AM »

Was really surprised that Baggy has a positive h2h. But, with one each last year, its got much closer. Earlier victories perhaps could be attributed to Baggy being 2 years older?
Come on Andy cmon yeah
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:51 AM »

Was really surprised that Baggy has a positive h2h. But, with one each last year, its got much closer. Earlier victories perhaps could be attributed to Baggy being 2 years older?
Come on Andy cmon yeah
In 2006 Baggy was a top 10 player (high 8), whilst Andy started that year in the 60's. However he was down to 17 by year end.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:12 AM »

Baghdatis is one of Andy's bogey opponents.

Andy will therefore have to be all systems go from the start to get the better of Baggy. If he starts as slowly as he did against Kukushkin and Muller, then it may well be two sets curtains for our man.

Go get him, Andy
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:13 AM »

it may well be two sets curtains for our man.

Go get him, Andy
[/quote]Pull your self together O.S.S
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:21 AM »

OOP is out. Not before 12 noon local time, so on or after 2am for UK viewers and about 3 pm in the afternoon for me Very Happy

cmonandy
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:37 AM »

To be fair I think Baggys head to head is a bit mis leading, he is a great player and I do think his game matches up well to Murray, but his 1st win as at Wimbledon 2006 which was just after Murray had achieved the biggest win of his career at that stage v Roddick so a little let down was to be expected.

2007 I think he beat him in Cincinnati when Murray was just coming back from injury then last year Murray had a dip after losing in Melbourne again.

So all of Baggys wins have a little story behind them but there is no doubt he has the game to push Murray and if Murray plays as he has this week he will probably lose, but Murray is capable of raising his game against a better player and one that he has a lot of respect for.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:23 AM »

This is off the point but couldn't find anywhere to put it. This is part of an article by Neil Harman in todays Times. This is what Darren Cahill said"Getting a good person alongside like Ivan is crucial. I was there at the first meeting in Miami last month. We sat down for three hours talking about tennis and I thought Ivan was inspiring. The fact that he has never coached before is irrelevant. he understands the sport and the way he used to go about his game was the mark of a professional athlete." He felt that once he wins a GS the floodgates will open. Re Andy's team he said "Andy has a great team, a bunch of strong, loyal,intelligent guys who have been like concrete around him over 5 yrs. For all of them it will be a wonderful day when he fulfills his dream. Hopefully, it's not too far away. I'm confident that it's not."
Good to know what Darren Cahill thinks and to know that he was involved in the meeting with Lendl. Augers well for the handover and the future.
I'm sure that Andy will be up to his match with Baggy and that he will come out firing now that his body is losening up. There were some very good signs with his forehand and moving in and being aggressive.As he always says his ability to be able to move freely gives him cinfidence as it very much part of his game.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:33 AM »

it may well be two sets curtains for our man.

Go get him, Andy
Pull your self together O.S.S

Robbie, I'm just a nervous man & loyal supporter. Thanks for the comfort zone.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:38 AM »

Andy always struggles when he's playing friends in matches. 3 tough tough sets.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 11:45 AM »

I assume that the Quarters might be covered somewhere on TV?  No trace on Eurosport or Sky. Some of you seem to have found other live stream options.

Finding watching the scores a little hard especially when Andy is getting into so many losing positions only to find something to keep his interest in Brisbane alive. With his match in the middle of the night (early Friday morning) following the scores that way is not enticing enough until a semi?

The overnight result of such a narrow loss to the No 2 doubles pair seems to have gone unreported. Has anyone reported on this?
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49 AM »

http://tennishaven.com/index.php?logged=true is a great place for downloading matches after they have happened if you need anything to join just ask.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 12:18 PM »

According to the Brisbane website, Andy v Baggy is second in the day session following a doubles match. Brisbane is 10 hours ahead of us so Andy could be playing around 2 a.m. Friday 6th.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 01:19 PM »

That is excellent. Let's hope that Andy does the business overnight. Perhaps go out and play a hard set before he arrives at the court?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:45 PM »

Andy seems distracted. A lot in his mind lately. Can't blame him. A lot going on after all. AO is just around the corner. The partnership with Lendl made huge news everywhere and it hasn't even taken off yet. This is a big change. Must be nervous about the whole thing. Otherwise I believe he would have won both matches in straight. Kuku should have been an easy put away. Muller can be tricky as always and had his eyes on Nadal just last year. Still, Andy should have been able to close it out in two tight sets.

Baggy will be tough. Hope he pulls through somehow.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »