Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis

(Read 4274 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 02:55 PM »

Andy seems distracted. A lot in his mind lately. Can't blame him. A lot going on after all. AO is just around the corner. The partnership with Lendl made huge news everywhere and it hasn't even taken off yet. This is a big change. Must be nervous about the whole thing. Otherwise I believe he would have won both matches in straight. Kuku should have been an easy put away. Muller can be tricky as always and had his eyes on Nadal just last year. Still, Andy should have been able to close it out in two tight sets.

Baggy will be tough. Hope he pulls through somehow.

I actually don't believe it matters too much to Andy. His whole intention of playing Brisbane is to remove the dust and non-competitive matches from his body.

Yes, I want him to beat Baggy, but his body loosening is much more important, particularly with Oz just around the corner.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 05:11 PM »

I actually don't believe it matters too much to Andy. His whole intention of playing Brisbane is to remove the dust and non-competitive matches from his body.

Yes, I want him to beat Baggy, but his body loosening is much more important, particularly with Oz just around the corner.
I agree - but that's the whole reason why it's important that he beats Baggy, so that he can get as many matches under his belt before the AO.

I don't hold much store by H2Hs - anything can happen on the day, especially in a match like this one. The two last met in Tokyo where Andy won 7-6(7-4), 2-6, 6-4, and this is what Andy had to say after the match -

"It was very tough and long ... I did a lot of the running, especially in the first two sets ... I think he played very well. At the end of the third set, we were both playing good tennis, but in the first two he was the better player. Marcos is a very, very good player. He might not have played his best tennis so far this year, but he has been close to the Top 10 before. He has a lot of talent, a big serve and has many ways to hurt you on the court."

I just hope that Andy's knee problem has resolved itself otherwise Baggy will take full advantage of it, although Andy's a gifted enough player to try and find a way of winning, even if it does mean winning ugly.  Baggy, however, can blow a bit hot and cold, so, as with Andy, a lot depends too on which Baggy turns up, but from his performances so far in this tournament he seems to be in top form, so I reckon Andy will have to hit the ground running - no slow start like his last two matches.

By the way, I hope you're feeling a lot better now, OSS.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 05:54 PM »

I agree - but that's the whole reason why it's important that he beats Baggy, so that he can get as many matches under his belt before the AO.

I don't hold much store by H2Hs - anything can happen on the day, especially in a match like this one. The two last met in Tokyo where Andy won 7-6(7-4), 2-6, 6-4, and this is what Andy had to say after the match -

"It was very tough and long ... I did a lot of the running, especially in the first two sets ... I think he played very well. At the end of the third set, we were both playing good tennis, but in the first two he was the better player. Marcos is a very, very good player. He might not have played his best tennis so far this year, but he has been close to the Top 10 before. He has a lot of talent, a big serve and has many ways to hurt you on the court."

I just hope that Andy's knee problem has resolved itself otherwise Baggy will take full advantage of it, although Andy's a gifted enough player to try and find a way of winning, even if it does mean winning ugly.  Baggy, however, can blow a bit hot and cold, so, as with Andy, a lot depends too on which Baggy turns up, but from his performances so far in this tournament he seems to be in top form, so I reckon Andy will have to hit the ground running - no slow start like his last two matches.

By the way, I hope you're feeling a lot better now, OSS.

Thanks, Aileen, not quite, but getting there. I have been working from home over the last 3 days, which shows some improvement.

Incidentally, for those who sometimes use Bet365, I have been in touch and they are working on the facilty to provide full screen access. Unfortunately, they could not advise a prospective date, but hopefully this year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 05:58 PM »

Thanks, Aileen, not quite, but getting there. I have been working from home over the last 3 days, which shows some improvement.
Glad to hear that OSS. Smile  It all sounded pretty unpleasant to me.  Hope complete recovery is soon.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Think he loses this.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Think he loses this.
Nah, I think Baggy,s got a wee chance.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 07:51 PM »

Andy may have other things, rather than this match, on his mind, cos isn't Friday the day Ivan The Terrible arrives.....awesome...
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 08:03 PM »

Baggy being coached by Miles a problem for Andy???
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Andy may have other things, rather than this match, on his mind, cos isn't Friday the day Ivan The Terrible arrives.....awesome...

Of course he has other things on his mind. How can he not? AO is only a week and half away. He has to be distracted. Both are huge deal. I won't mind much if he loses here to Baggy tonight but he should really scrape it out and even things out. Make it 3 all. I get that Baggy is a great player but Andy is on whole another level.

And if he's not distracted, then he has no business having such a slow start back to back. I like it how Federer, Nadal, Nole go on about business from the get go. No nonsense there. It's establishing your authority right away. You should let your opponent know who the boss there is. With that sort of attitude, your opponents will be half beaten even before they enter the court. If you let loose, they will be all over you like Kuku and Muller did. I don't like pampering too much. I am like Lendl!! lol
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane International QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 08:06 PM »

Andy is going to play an exhibition Match next friday against Nalbandian.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 08:33 PM »

pure gutted that I won't be able to see this match Frown  but hopefully when I wake up in the morning I will get some good news Smile
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 08:59 PM »

pure gutted that I won't be able to see this match Frown  but hopefully when I wake up in the morning I will get some good news Smile

Me too on both counts!!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 10:18 PM »

Now that these two are out of the doubles, it's time for Andy to concentrate on progressing further in the singles.

Baggy is a bit of a bogey player for Andy but he should be buoyed by the fact that he won their most recent encounter.  At the end of the day, H2H stats mean nothing, but here they are, just in case you are wondering Very Happy

I'm going for Andy to win it, as ugly as it may be cmonandy

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the OOP is not yet out for Friday (or not on the ATP site at least),
Thanx Bev for the H2H. I hope Andy will improve on the stats against Marcos ... in just a few hours now.

Bye the way, Happy new year.
IP Logged
WannabeScot
Junior

Re: Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 10:59 PM »

OOP is out. Not before 12 noon local time, so on or after 2am for UK viewers and about 3 pm in the afternoon for me Very Happy

cmonandy

It just doesn't feel like a real Andy Murray match for me when I haven't got up in the middle of the night to watch it!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Brisbane QF: Murray vs Baghdatis « Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29 PM »

Of course he has other things on his mind. How can he not? AO is only a week and half away. He has to be distracted. Both are huge deal. I won't mind much if he loses here to Baggy tonight but he should really scrape it out and even things out. Make it 3 all. I get that Baggy is a great player but Andy is on whole another level.

And if he's not distracted, then he has no business having such a slow start back to back. I like it how Federer, Nadal, Nole go on about business from the get go. No nonsense there. It's establishing your authority right away. You should let your opponent know who the boss there is. With that sort of attitude, your opponents will be half beaten even before they enter the court. If you let loose, they will be all over you like Kuku and Muller did. I don't like pampering too much. I am like Lendl!! lol

I'm all for straight talking and don't believe in molly-coddling either, but did you actually watch Andy's last two matches?  If you did then did you not notice that he was having problems with his bi-partite right knee, especially in the early stages?  Also it's worth remembering that Andy has played very little competitive tennis since October, having pulled out of Basel due to injury and then being forced to retire after one match at the O2 because of a groin strain, so he's bound to be somewhat match rusty and lacking a little in confidence.  What a great pity that the momentum he built up in the Far East was never given the chance to continue, otherwise we might be looking at a different player here.   I would hope that Lendl, who, unlike his armchair critics knows first-hand what these situations are like, will have at least a modicum of sympathy for him.  

Baggy being coached by Miles a problem for Andy???
I'd forgotten about that!  Can't see why it should be a problem since the two have played each other often enough to get to know each other's games, so I don't think Miles can tell Baggy anything about Andy that he doesn't already know.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 05, 2012, 11:33 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »