Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic  (Read 5008 times)
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #435 on: January 08, 2012, 02:07 AM »

You really think so? Murray has a great chance against Nadal for sure and there matches are close but thats a massive call, Rafa is too good a player to write off

for me Nadal has ran out of gas
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #436 on: January 08, 2012, 02:12 AM »

for me Nadal has ran out of gas

Something does seem lacking, but I remember at the start of 2009 we felt the same thing!

I do not expect much from Rafa in the 1st half of the season I have a feeling we will see the best of him come the clay season, even though he won the French Open last year, it was they clay season where Novak really mentally got into his head, many myself included felt that despite Novak's great start to 2011 once they got onto clay Novak's run would come to an end.

Now as it stands even though Rafa is now a 6 time champion, many are asking that had Novak beaten Roger as he was expected to, would Rafa have won the title?

If he doesnt dominate the clay season this year or shows to be lacking then I will agree with you but till then I wont write him off too many times hes come back when written off.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #437 on: January 08, 2012, 02:14 AM »

Rival of sorts?
That is how I would summarise the present 'rivalry' between Roger and Novak NOW. When all is said and done he did lose to him 4 times against That much touted 1 success last year, yes he should have closed off the USO but did not, again!
As for their most recent face off in the emirates, well lets not count that in as it was an exho. Still they did use tennis racquets, a court tennis balls & so on.  Whistle
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #438 on: January 08, 2012, 02:19 AM »

Rival of sorts?
That is how I would summarise the present 'rivalry' between Roger and Novak NOW. When all is said and done he did lose to him 4 times against That much touted 1 success last year, yes he should have closed off the USO but did not, again!
As for their most recent face off in the emirates, well lets not count that in as it was an exho. Still they did use tennis racquets, a court tennis balls & so on.  Whistle

If Roger is only a rival of sorts to Novak then the rest of the field are lambs to the slaughter, yes it was just one win but it was the win the prevented Novak winning the Grand Slam!

Exos are just fun for the crowd plus was Novaks only event before the AO so he wanted to find form while the other guys knew they had more matches coming up!

Edberg played Tsonga in an exhibition yesterday they also play on a tennis court with balls and used racquets but I do not think anyone is using that match as an indicator of form ahead of the AO, the same goes for the EXHOS in Abu Dhabi.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #439 on: January 08, 2012, 02:21 AM »

Something does seem lacking, but I remember at the start of 2009 we felt the same thing!

I do not expect much from Rafa in the 1st half of the season I have a feeling we will see the best of him come the clay season, even though he won the French Open last year, it was they clay season where Novak really mentally got into his head, many myself included felt that despite Novak's great start to 2011 once they got onto clay Novak's run would come to an end.

Now as it stands even though Rafa is now a 6 time champion, many are asking that had Novak beaten Roger as he was expected to, would Rafa have won the title?

If he doesnt dominate the clay season this year or shows to be lacking then I will agree with you but till then I wont write him off too many times hes come back when written off.

Watched him against Monfils in Qatar and I think Uncle Toni might be wiping his hands of Rafa.

It was only a matter of time before his body gave in.

I still expect him to win matches but not against any of the top 4 this year. I hope i'm wrong because its quite sad but I have always sort of looked at Nadal as a physical oddity who overpowers talented tennis players.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #440 on: January 08, 2012, 02:27 AM »

Exho's are just for fun?
Well by the look of Rogers face and the scoreboard I don't think he was having too much 'fun' im afraid, do you?
Still 4 and 1 was all she wrote for the year despite your attempts to hype it up, and if Roger is in either Nadals or Novaks halves I just don't see him pulling through. This year maybe the last year Roger even makes it to all of the quarters in my view.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #441 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33 AM »

Exho's are just for fun?
Well by the look of Rogers face and the scoreboard I don't think he was having too much 'fun' im afraid, do you?
Still 4 and 1 was all she wrote for the year despite your attempts to hype it up, and if Roger is in either Nadals or Novaks halves I just don't see him pulling through. This year maybe the last year Roger even makes it to all of the quarters in my view.

Exos are fun, nothing more and nothing less, yes I saw Roger laughing away on the interview 2 minutes after and the crowd lapping it up! He knew he had more matches and offcial matches at that , Novak didnt hence his desire to play top level tennis in an Exho.

Roger will obviously be in either Nadal or Novaks half they are 1 and 2 in the world!

He can beat either of them I do agree that beating both of them back to back is a very tough ask for Roger at this stage of his career, that is why his efforts in Paris were outsanding.

His win against Djokovic in Paris is not hype, it almost certainly is what prevented Djokovic from completing the Grand Slam as in all 4 in a year.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #442 on: January 08, 2012, 02:35 AM »

Watched him against Monfils in Qatar and I think Uncle Toni might be wiping his hands of Rafa.

It was only a matter of time before his body gave in.

I still expect him to win matches but not against any of the top 4 this year. I hope i'm wrong because its quite sad but I have always sort of looked at Nadal as a physical oddity who overpowers talented tennis players.

I think we have to agree to disagree, I think Toni will stay with Rafa till the end don't see those 2 parting, I do agree always seen him a bit less naturally talent and perhaps a bit more manufactured, but he is still a great champion and one of the best fighters in the modern era.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #443 on: January 08, 2012, 02:41 AM »

I think we have to agree to disagree, I think Toni will stay with Rafa till the end don't see those 2 parting, I do agree always seen him a bit less naturally talent and perhaps a bit more manufactured, but he is still a great champion and one of the best fighters in the modern era.

He is a great champion and THE best fighter in the sport ever but that does not change the fact despite the beefed up serve to win the USO, despite the learning to volley to win Wimbledon and his one handed back hand slice.
He got here by his sheer physicality and in the future he will pay.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #444 on: January 08, 2012, 02:41 AM »

Yeah right AK400 ha-ha-ha!
Roger shall not beat Nadal at the AO or the FO and he won't even meet him at Wimbledon, his best chance is going to be the USO but I don't see it.
It's not hype in the sense that he played at his best and stopped an almost certain Calendar Slam by Novak.
The hype is coming from yourself.
And Novak didn't manage his best on the day in question but again it was only one win in five matches between these two and by the look of Novaks recent form I would suggest that next year Roger shall be lucky to even manage that ratio!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #445 on: January 08, 2012, 02:46 AM »

He's paying already and has done so heavily in the last 12 months when he was out Nadaled by Novak who soundly beat him at his own game.
He's taking February off, he couldn't train sufficiently in December due to his shoulders AND his knees.
My feeling is he wants to make his last stand against Novak in the clay court season and then reassess whether to continue dependent on that and Wimbledon. That's my guess.
Uncle Toni won't be going anywhere till then if ever.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #446 on: January 08, 2012, 02:53 AM »

Yeah right AK400 ha-ha-ha!
Roger shall not beat Nadal at the AO or the FO and he won't even meet him at Wimbledon, his best chance is going to be the USO but I don't see it.
It's not hype in the sense that he played at his best and stopped an almost certain Calendar Slam by Novak.
The hype is coming from yourself.
And Novak didn't manage his best on the day in question but again it was only one win in five matches between these two and by the look of Novaks recent form I would suggest that next year Roger shall be lucky to even manage that ratio!

It was a huge win that is why without that win not only would Novak have got the calendar Grand Slam  and also broke the record for the most wins in a row!

Not only did he beat him there, he was 2 match points up at the Open and Djokovic made a return where he admitted he closed his eyes and swung and it came off, thats a desperation shot and fair play it went in but thats how close Roger was to going through.

French I don't see Roger winning again and the Australian will be tough because I think beating both Novak and Rafa on a slowsish surface at this stage of Roger's career is a big ask.

But if the sun is out the courts will play faster that is in Roger's favour!

I agree that his best chance is at the US Open, followed by Melbourne.

Wimbledon I think he can win but the problem there big hitters seem to line up the pace a lot better courts are not that fast.

His loss to Tsonga was a good example Roger I thought played a clean match but Tsonga came out smoking,and it was tough to contain!

When they met at the US Open Roger had all the answers winning in straights.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #447 on: January 08, 2012, 02:54 AM »

He's paying already and has done so heavily in the last 12 months when he was out Nadaled by Novak who soundly beat him at his own game.
He's taking February off, he couldn't train sufficiently in December due to his shoulders AND his knees.
My feeling is he wants to make his last stand against Novak in the clay court season and then reassess whether to continue dependent on that and Wimbledon. That's my guess.
Uncle Toni won't be going anywhere till then if ever.
Good posting!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #448 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51 AM »

Emma the full match is now up in the Brisbane International YouTube site.
I'm about to watch it actually.

Thanks. I got to see the full match again and the nod! Emma very happy. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Brisbane SF: Murray vs Tomic « Reply #449 on: January 08, 2012, 04:04 AM »

I am not buying any of this Roger's bad back or Rafa's exit in Doha etc. They are into fooling us though Rafa might still be a bit jaded. I think he'll try his best to avoid Nole until clay season. Even Nole's not playing anything. Expect every one of them giving their all come AO.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »