Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Reply
Author

C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments

(Read 8184 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #165 on: June 27, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Fair enough Masaka - most of the points you raise make the point that the parents should not have left the child in that situation, and that is a certainly a reasonable viewpoint.

My original comment was just to make the point that the abuse our no. 1 tennis player get gets is not surprising when you see the vitriol directed at the McCanns, when , as you say, they will have suffered terribly whatever happened

Equally fair enough. The only difference is that Murray gets the abuse because of a comment made when he was young, and naive, and set up by the press. The McCann's have perhaps a greater culpability in what has happened to them. Equally I recognise that what Murray goes through, has gone through is in no way comparable to the loss of a child, regardless of who was/is responsible.  One should also not forget that there are two other complete innocents in the McCann situation - their two younger children.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #166 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58 PM »

Is this the first year the England comment is completely and utterly behind us in the minds of the public? Seems like it to me.

Time for Andy to make a joke about the referendum on Scotland's independence.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #167 on: July 07, 2013, 12:07 AM »

Is this the first year the England comment is completely and utterly behind us in the minds of the public? Seems like it to me.

Time for Andy to make a joke about the referendum on Scotland's independence.

Eh? No shortage of it here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2357102/WIMBLEDON-2013-Andy-Murray-beats-Jerzy-Janowicz-reach-final.html#comments
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #168 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13 AM »

Hmmm. Alright... first year we haven't had people join the forum to moan about it. That's got to count for something.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #169 on: July 07, 2013, 12:21 AM »

The England comment is still everywhere unfortunately, he will never escape it sadly.  It always puzzled me why he never sued the ass off the newspaper.  There have been dogged detractors on every BBC article, and some have been getting most annoyed when the BBC moderated their comments.  There have been a few articles written on some of the independence news websites (wingsoverscotland has a couple) where they have discussed some of the disgusting racist vitriol Andy still generates on twitter.

Winning tomorrow might just win the last few naysayers over, but some will always hate him, just simply because he is Scottish.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #170 on: July 07, 2013, 12:24 AM »

The England comment is still everywhere unfortunately, he will never escape it sadly.  It always puzzled me why he never sued the ass off the newspaper.  There have been dogged detractors on every BBC article, and some have been getting most annoyed when the BBC moderated their comments.  There have been a few articles written on some of the independence news websites (wingsoverscotland has a couple) where they have discussed some of the disgusting racist vitriol Andy still generates on twitter.

Winning tomorrow might just win the last few naysayers over, but some will always hate him, just simply because he is Scottish.

I live in England (sadly). Almost everyone I know has never taken to Murray. I have absolutely no idea why. It continues to baffle me. I think he's bloody great.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #171 on: July 07, 2013, 12:25 AM »

I live in England. Almost everyone I know has never taken to Murray. I have absolutely no idea why. It continues to baffle me. I think he's bloody great.
Two reasons: Monotone voice so must be boring. Fiery on court personality, so must be a dick.

So basically, idiotic assumptions.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #172 on: July 07, 2013, 01:38 AM »

I live in England (sadly). Almost everyone I know has never taken to Murray. I have absolutely no idea why. It continues to baffle me. I think he's bloody great.
Other way round for me - not a single person I know is a tennis fan, but none of them are anti-Murray either. When Wimbledon comes around they all tend to support Murray (because he's British). My dad and brother too - not particular tennis fans (although now have more than a passing interest and follow his results whenever he plays). My dad watched the USO final until what, 2, 3am? with me (which was nice) and is getting quite excited about Murray's chances this year. We've always been quite patriotic with regards to sport stars in our house (big Hamilton fan too).

I get pissed off enough as it is with all the comments on the internet, so thank god I don't have to put up with it in reality as well. It's easy enough to ignore on the internet now, just have to avoid certain places.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #173 on: July 07, 2013, 01:41 AM »

The England comment is still everywhere unfortunately, he will never escape it sadly.  It always puzzled me why he never sued the ass off the newspaper.  There have been dogged detractors on every BBC article, and some have been getting most annoyed when the BBC moderated their comments.  There have been a few articles written on some of the independence news websites (wingsoverscotland has a couple) where they have discussed some of the disgusting racist vitriol Andy still generates on twitter.

Some people just need to make a bridge and get over it!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #174 on: July 07, 2013, 01:42 AM »

Two reasons: Monotone voice so must be boring. Fiery on court personality, so must be a dick.

So basically, idiotic assumptions.
That's pretty much the crux of it. And some people just love to hate/complain. A lot of grumpy yorkshiremen on the Leeds board who will complain about almost of the popular comedians, presenters, British sportsmen... pretty much anyone who is popular or cheerful (Michael McIntyre, James Corden, Jamie Redknapp...) gets ridiculous amount of stick. And Murray, of course, because he's a 'bottling dour Scot'. It's become clear over the years that they don't really give a **** about Murray, they just love to moan about him. In the last 2-3 years Murray has got noticeably more support though, and particularly recognition. Although still a lot of Federer 'fans' on there (your typical English 2-weeks-a-year fans).
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #175 on: July 07, 2013, 01:44 AM »

That's pretty much the crux of it. And some people just love to hate/complain. A lot of grumpy yorkshiremen on the Leeds board who will complain about almost of the popular comedians, presenters, British sportsmen... pretty much anyone who is popular or cheerful (Michael McIntyre, James Corden, Jamie Redknapp...) gets ridiculous amount of stick. And Murray, of course, because he's a 'bottling dour Scot'. It's become clear over the years that they don't really give a **** about Murray, they just love to moan about him. In the last 2-3 years Murray has got noticeably more support though, and particularly recognition. Although still a lot of Federer 'fans' on there (your typical English 2-weeks-a-year fans).

blink  Can only apologise on behalf of my fellow Yorkshiremen.  no  
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #176 on: July 07, 2013, 01:48 AM »

blink  Can only apologise on behalf of my fellow Yorkshiremen.  no 
I think it's just grumpy old (football mad) men more than anything!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #177 on: July 07, 2013, 01:48 AM »

There was a comment on one of the BBC articles from a guy who said he would never forget watching Andy on the TV and hearing him say that he would support 'anyone but England'. Murray then smirked at the camera apparently.  I've also seen numerous comments from posters about Andy wearing a Paraguay shirt.

Do you think these posters are just so full of hatred that they've convinced themselves that they have seen these things?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #178 on: July 07, 2013, 01:49 AM »

I worry for these people. Serious issues.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: C'mon! Let's monopolise the Daily Mail comments « Reply #179 on: July 07, 2013, 01:51 AM »

I think it's just grumpy old (football mad) men more than anything!

lol  None of my family like tennis and are football mad Rolling Eyes  Life must be very disappointing for them at the moment when they have nothing to celebrate Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »