Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam?

(Read 2981 times)
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 11:57 AM »

I guess we should be grateful for what Andy has achieved so far in his career.  Go back fourteen months or so ago, who would have dared to dream that I could have opened this thread with the words?

"Our hero has a US Open, a Wimbledon and an Olympic Gold medal in his trophy cabinet."

I'd like to think that he could do the golden slam, but I admit that the stars are going to have to align in an unlikely fashion for the French title to come Andy's way.  But who knows?

Let's have the Aussie Open in the trophy cabinet next January, then we can maybe start to dream?

As Tamila noted above, the Smug One is now very unlikely to complete a Golden Slam (Andy saw to that last August!)  Hey, wouldn't it be something for Andy to achieve this feat, when the Fed couldn't?
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 12:23 PM »

Because the French Open finnishes so close to Wimbledon which has been Andy's priority in the past I don't think Andy always gave it a 100% in fear of injury that would not heal in time for Wimbledon. But he has now won Wimbledon!
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 01:43 PM »

I admit, the golden slam would be the icing on the cake for me. I hope for this more than him getting to no.1
I think Andy will do it despite not having a great record on clay. He's too good not to win a clay title at some point in his career.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 02:39 PM »

I don't think he will. Rafa, Djokovic, Federer, Ferrer, Del Potro and Berdych are all better than him on clay, as well as some others outside the top 10. His main problem is the movement and I don't think he'll ever be as comfortable on it as players who learnt to play tennis on clay.

His back problems have flared up two years in a row during the clay season, so he maybe won't want to play too much on the surface if it risks his Wimbledon run.

I would like to see him end his career with a clay title though - any title. As you say Sparkle, playing tournaments in the South American swing would be a good idea. He'd have a decent shot at somewhere like Vina del Mar, as top 10 players don't generally enter, though he'd still have to play good claycourters.
There will be some good clay courters in the South American swing, so it would be a risk if he were to enter, but if he does decide that he wants to prioritise clay, then it would be worth it.  The media might try to hype up the significance of wins and losses, but with a bit of luck he could string together a few decent wins against players who are ranked low enough that he can beat fairly easily, whilst trying things out.  If he can do that at the start of the year, and feel more at home on the clay, he wouldn't need to push himself so hard when it came to the main clay-court season, so hopefully stay injury free.

I'm not convinced that would be enough to make him one of the favourites for the French, but I definitely think he could improve his overall form on the surface if he were sufficiently motivated to do so.    It just might mean compromising other parts of the season.

I agree the proximity of Wimbledon to the French may also be a factor, even if it's just subliminal.  With a Wimbledon trophy under his belt, he may feel he can fully focus on the French Open without worrying if he could be compromising his chances at SW19.  The extra week between the tournaments will help too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 03:18 PM »

I don't think he'll ever win FO because of his back and the associated fear of injury to it.  If it were not for that, I think he could probably turn himself into a good enough clay court player, if that became his number one goal ie (assuming he'd won AO by then) to win a golden slam before he was finished.  But I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact it's very unlikely to happen.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 03:39 PM »

I don't think he'll ever win FO because of his back and the associated fear of injury to it.  If it were not for that, I think he could probably turn himself into a good enough clay court player, if that became his number one goal ie (assuming he'd won AO by then) to win a golden slam before he was finished.  But I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact it's very unlikely to happen.
My thoughts exactly Ruthie.....at present, anyway!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 04:04 PM »

There will be some good clay courters in the South American swing, so it would be a risk if he were to enter, but if he does decide that he wants to prioritise clay, then it would be worth it.  The media might try to hype up the significance of wins and losses, but with a bit of luck he could string together a few decent wins against players who are ranked low enough that he can beat fairly easily, whilst trying things out.  If he can do that at the start of the year, and feel more at home on the clay, he wouldn't need to push himself so hard when it came to the main clay-court season, so hopefully stay injury free.

I'm not convinced that would be enough to make him one of the favourites for the French, but I definitely think he could improve his overall form on the surface if he were sufficiently motivated to do so.    It just might mean compromising other parts of the season.

I agree the proximity of Wimbledon to the French may also be a factor, even if it's just subliminal.  With a Wimbledon trophy under his belt, he may feel he can fully focus on the French Open without worrying if he could be compromising his chances at SW19.  The extra week between the tournaments will help too.

Yes I definitely think it would be a good idea for improving his overall clay form. The big problem with him only playing clay Masters and sometimes Barcelona is that he's running into excellent claycourt players from R3. Like this year at Monte Carlo when he drew Wawrinka. He'd get more matches at the smaller tournaments and could test things out without the pressure of winning/losing big points.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 04:55 PM »

I think the reason Andy has back issues on clay is because he's waiting for it to be a problem, which means he is tense and not relaxed, it's like people who suffer from anxiety attacks, they worry about having an attack, then have one because they were worrying about it. So to me clay is more a psychological problem for him, which is a shame because in 2011 he looked like someone who could really be decent on clay and actually win stuff.

That being said, he could make a run at it in near the end of his career when he has nothing to lose, like Henman did in 2002? can't remember exactly which year, but all of a sudden Tim was making semis in Paris and New York, in fact i think it was his best ever season.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 06:40 PM »

The fact we can have this thread is making me smile. A year ago it would have been Will Andy ever win a slam? 2/3 since then plus runner up aint too shabby!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 12:44 AM »

He will never be good enough to challenge for the French.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 12:47 AM »

YES HE CAN.l believe that he can win the FO one day and Rafa won't be playing for ever.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 01:07 AM »

YES HE CAN.l believe that he can win the FO one day and Rafa won't be playing for ever.

Erm? Even with Rafa out of the picture there's plenty of players better than Andy on clay.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 01:09 AM »

Erm? Even with Rafa out of the picture there's plenty of players better than Andy on clay.
I still think that he can win the FO just have to wait and see.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 08:51 AM »

I think the point is that most people think Andy can play a lot better on clay himself.  Whether or not he'll ever prioritise that enough is unknown, and it's uncertain how much better he could get, but suggesting he might be able to do something, or could do something, doesn't mean he definitely will.

Obviously, if you just base this on his current form on clay, he's no chance, but the original question includes the word "ever", which suggests it's OK to add a few conditions to how it would happen, even if they aren't very likely.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23 AM »

The fact we can have this thread is making me smile. A year ago it would have been Will Andy ever win a slam? 2/3 since then plus runner up aint too shabby!

That's hoe I feel about it WW...  I'm over the moon that we can even talk about it!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »