Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam?

(Read 3065 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 03:39 PM »

In Court Confidential Neil Harman says he always viewed Murray as a potential winner at RG, but he doesn't say what he bases that on!

To be honest I've heard a lot of people say he has the perfect game for clay, but no one ever seems to qualify that with any sort of explanation as to why.
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 04:21 PM »

To be honest I've heard a lot of people say he has the perfect game for clay, but no one ever seems to qualify that with any sort of explanation as to why.

His game is perfect for clay, he has all the shots required to play on clay and has the ability to play patiently from the baseline and grind it out.

What isn't perfect for clay is his movement. He isn't able to slide properly and get back in position as quickly as Nadal and Djokovic so he often ends up on the back foot. If he ever learns to move the clay way, he'll be a real threat.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43 PM »

The thing is, his movement problem on clay is exactly why his movement on grass is so good and why he's probably the best grass court player in the world currently, i'm not sure i'd want him to evolve his movement on clay if it was to the detriment of his grass and hard court games, he's not an all court player i don't think many are, you could argue Novak is but even though he's won Wimbledon i wouldn't put money on him against someone who is good on grass.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 06:32 PM »

isn't it the case that his knee makes sliding difficult and risky for him [it's a different condition from Rafa's]/
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 07:46 PM »

hard to say...
he will win the AO i should think.
but he has yet to prove himself on clay.
does he have any clay titles?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #50 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47 PM »

hard to say...
he will win the AO i should think.
but he has yet to prove himself on clay.
does he have any clay titles?
No, pots maybe from school. Think
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #51 on: September 04, 2013, 07:56 PM »

No, pots maybe from school. Think

Lol......tube
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10 PM »

lol. well it doesn't mean he can't get them. but winning a masters would be good start!
IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Then I think of the stats, of no clay court tournament wins out of his 28.  Not even a final.  Then I start to doubt again.

The thing is, his failure so far to get to any clay finals is a matter of fact - but it doesn't change the fact that he showed very clearly in 2011 that he can live with the very best on clay.

So it's entirely reasonable, of course, to doubt that he'll win at Roland Garros - but at the same time, he's clearly got the game to do it if he's fit enough (and his self-belief survives the switch to the red stuff!)...Smile
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 06:10 PM »

The thing is, his failure so far to get to any clay finals is a matter of fact - but it doesn't change the fact that he showed very clearly in 2011 that he can live with the very best on clay.
IMO, if Andy wanted to win a title or reach a final on clay, he could.  He just hasn't taken enough interest in the surface to enter the smaller tournaments and to reach his potential.  I've no idea the last time Andy played on clay when it wasn't a Masters or slam, but it wasn't recent.  That doesn't mean he could win at the French, just that he's not tried as hard to master the surface if he could.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Would never say never, but would take top 5 to be unavailable especially at the French. Highly unlikely.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24 AM »

Don't think RG is possible tbh. Back issues + movement + Rafa +Nole + too close to Wimbledon.
But AO of course he can!
 yahooo
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31 PM »

I don't think so.  And I don't think he would be too bothered.  I would rather he gave the French a miss, to prepare properly for Wimbledon.  I don't see the point in aggravating his back playing on a surface which he doesn't like anyway.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 06:42 PM »

actually I think he does like the clay - he even used to say it was his favourite surface when younger - but because of his back/knee he doesn't play so well on it as the other surfaces
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Can Andy ever win a career Golden Grand Slam? « Reply #59 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14 AM »

True Ruthie.  I think he's often confused people by saying he enjoys playing on the surface, even though he's had least success there. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »