Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (20%)
Murray in 3. - 22 (73.3%)
Federer in 2. - 1 (3.3%)
Federer in 3. - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 Go Down Reply
Author

Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer

(Read 4990 times)
althusser
Satellite Level

I Conquer

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #465 on: August 16, 2014, 07:36 PM »

I saw the result early this morning, the felt bad for everyone on here who were about to wake up to the result. There is never much of a silver lining to any loss to smugfed
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #466 on: August 16, 2014, 08:20 PM »

I think a lot of people are too young to remember Mauresmo's career, or are conveniently forgetting. She was the ARCH-choker. She has nothing to pass on to Andy apart from the art of the final-set implosion. It's a horrific appointment.

Agree.... fail to see what she can contribute to make Andy successful. I guess they related to underachieving in their careers and skill set. Being an agony aunt for Andy isnt going to win him diddly squat. Needs a kick up the a... and a natural leader type.
IP Logged
gilbys angel
Satellite Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #467 on: August 16, 2014, 08:33 PM »

I'm still sorely disappointed in the outcome of Andy's match last night. There's one thing I'd like to comment on, tho. Several posts have alluded to Andy's 'choking'. None of us really knows what happened to Andy last night but I would argue that he did not 'choke.' In my sphere, choking means that you crumble under the pressure from what you are about to accomplish. Had Andy lost Wimbledon last year after having multiple match points, then, yes, the term 'choke' could have been appropriately applied. Those of you old enough to remember Yana Novatna's loss to Steffi G. after a double break lead in the final set of Wimbledon and then tearfully collapsing into the arms of the Duchess of Kent know what a true choke looks like.  In the recent past, whatever may be bothering Andy, I don't think it's a fear of success. I don't think he looked up at the scoreboard last night and thought, Oh, my gosh, I'm about to win a set; I can't handle the pressure...

Lack of confidence is not the same thing as choking. From my perspective, last night's outcome was not the result of choking. Someone commented when Andy started playing better that it was like he had 'flipped a switch.' Unfortunately, a few games later,  the switch was flipped off. What's going on with his 'on/off' switch is debatable but to label him a 'choker' is both unfair and inaccurate.

I believe Andy when he says he's feeling good, physically. Last night's disappointing  performance didn't appear to be caused by something physical. I'm leaning more and more toward the impact of Lendl's leaving as the underlying cause of what Andy's going through right now. While I don't think AM is necessarily the problem, I don't believe she's the right answer. That's Andy's decision, tho. Hopefully, he can get himself sorted and start to play up to his ability. I'm sure no one is more disappointed in his current performance level than is Andy.
IP Logged
althusser
Satellite Level

I Conquer

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #468 on: August 16, 2014, 08:58 PM »

I agree with the point above on choking. It is becoming such an overused term in tennis circles, almost to the point where any match a good player goes on to lose after being ahead is called a choke. 'He was 2-0 and 15 love up, the CHOKED the set away 2-6!

IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #469 on: August 16, 2014, 10:18 PM »

I think a lot of people are too young to remember Mauresmo's career, or are conveniently forgetting. She was the ARCH-choker. She has nothing to pass on to Andy apart from the art of the final-set implosion. It's a horrific appointment.

unless she wants her career destroyed before its begun she'd better jump ship now.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #470 on: August 16, 2014, 10:28 PM »

unless she wants her career destroyed before its begun she'd better jump ship now.

Well, well, what kept you?     Jumping ship sounds like a good idea - try it.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #471 on: August 16, 2014, 10:53 PM »

Even Mrs ABF who is an Aussie and pretty neutral to Andy questioned his desire to win again ..and observed he just doesn't look the same player....also asked a good question...Where is his coach? Its the lead up to the US Open doesn't she want to practice with him? Questionable commitment!..yup ... Commit Amelie or go do one!

Andy's consistency is so chronic that his quality fluctuates between points never mind between matches.

Next coach please!...and proper one this time, one that didn't fart away their potential, would be awesome Andy!

IP Logged
althusser
Satellite Level

I Conquer

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #472 on: August 17, 2014, 07:36 AM »

Even Mrs ABF who is an Aussie and pretty neutral to Andy questioned his desire to win again ..and observed he just doesn't look the same player....also asked a good question...Where is his coach? Its the lead up to the US Open doesn't she want to practice with him? Questionable commitment!..yup ... Commit Amelie or go do one!

Andy's consistency is so chronic that his quality fluctuates between points never mind between matches.

Next coach please!...and proper one this time, one that didn't fart away their potential, would be awesome Andy!

Well you admitted that you didn't know about Amelie until you looked her up on Wikipedia!! So your knowledge of her or her career is a bit limited to make your view on this especially credible.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #473 on: August 17, 2014, 08:46 AM »

Federer has demolished Raonic to reach the final. That may make Andy feel a bit better. Got to hand to it Fed, at 33 the guy is showing the youngsters how this game should be played.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #474 on: August 17, 2014, 09:21 AM »

I always feel better when Andy's opponent gets through to the final.
Federer is playing well atm, but not great, his opponents are poorer, as has been said by others.

This proves, the opponents game was good that day whilst Andy's was under par.
No two tennis matches are every alike, tennis is not an exact science, therefore players performances vary every day. This applies even to the top 10 guys, as we observe their wins and losses from week to week.

I take heart from this. Federer will beat Ferrer most likely, but I'd like "Daveeed" to win.
Good luck, Duracell bunny!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #475 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30 AM »

FYI, her coaching career began before she took the Murray job. You ought to follow tennis more broadly and learn a bit about the subject matter.

If Andy is going to ruin her career, as you say, then there's no point in you being a Murray supporter as his career is ALSO over, in your opinion.

Well, well, what kept you? Jumping ship sounds like a good idea - try it.
@ Iluvandy: We couldn't get that lucky, could we?

IP Logged
ST Essex
Futures Level

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #476 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25 AM »

Regarding the comment about Andy not being a top ten player, I agree in as much that currently, his form is nowhere near top ten level. However, his skill and ability mean that he should be at the top of the game.

But it's clear for all to see at the moment that there are some serious issues going on between Andy's ears. From reading his comments, he clearly felt a little embarrassed about the match.

Federer has yet again got to a final by playing either sub standard opponents like Raonic, or opponents who are grossly out of form like Andy.

An in form Murray would have murdered Fed the other night. That's what is so frustrating.
IP Logged
althusser
Satellite Level

I Conquer

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #477 on: August 17, 2014, 05:05 PM »

Nowhere near top ten level? He is not on good form but,
Currently number 9
Made semi and quarter in recent slams
Beat the world no 11 a few days ago

Think we can allow that he is somewhere near to 10
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #478 on: August 17, 2014, 05:06 PM »

Nowhere near top ten level? He is not on good form but,
Currently number 9
Made semi and quarter in recent slams
Beat the world no 11 a few days ago

Think we can allow that he is somewhere near to 10
  Indeed. And we can reflect on Djokovic's and Nadal's current woes also.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs. Roger Federer « Reply #479 on: August 17, 2014, 06:34 PM »

Hmm, I'm sure Nole's "woes" are quite bearable in the light of his Wimbledon title.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »