Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Andy in 2 - 13 (46.4%)
Andy in 3 - 13 (46.4%)
Berdych in 2 - 2 (7.1%)
Berdych in 3 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 Go Down Reply
Author

Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!!

(Read 6659 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #540 on: August 17, 2013, 12:05 PM »

Said at the start of the year he really wants to improve his Masters performances so he can stake a claim for the number one spot.

In 2013 his Masters results have been: QF-W-R2-QF-R2-R3-QF.

Compare that to 2012: R2-F-QF-R3-DNP-R3-R3 (F-R3)

Honestly? That's pathetic for a player in the top 3 in the world. One semi-final all year. Only three semi-finals in the last two years.

Yes his Slam performances have been incredible but why is he incapable of performing well in both? Djokovic manages it. Nadal manages it.

And yet Andy is the tours 2nd most succesful player this year with 4 titles, so Djokovic made more semis than Andy whoopydoo, i think he would prefer actually winning them than making semis, no pleasing some people apparantly.

And how exactly has Djokovic "managed it" this year? he has won 1 masters (the same as Andy) and hasn't even been a runner up anywhere else (the same as Andy) i guess that's even more pathetic considering he's the worlds best player?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #541 on: August 17, 2013, 12:06 PM »

Flatness. Of course. He's flat when he wins wimbledon. He's flat when he loses a big final. He's flat if he goes out early. Why is it, apparently, according to people on here anyway, only Murray who seems to suffer from this flatness or "post-whatever-slam" loss of form? Of course all players go through up and downs. Yet it seems no matter what happens with Andy, a bad tournament is always due to something that happened before.

I didn't say he tanks every match. I said people on this site who defend Andy nonstop say he tanks every match. He didn't tank today. In fact, I've never once said he's tanked. It annoys me like crazy when people say he tanks. It is the defenders who tend to use the tanking excuse. Despite that, it is clear that Murray is trying to peak for the slams, and seemingly hasn't figured out how to do this without consistently going out early in smaller tournaments.

Djokovic has the advantage of being much more consistent than Murray outside of the slams. Yes, every player loses matches early from time to time, and sometimes experiences worse runs of form than usual. The problem is this has been typical of Murray's level in these events for a few years now. Feel free to give me an example of a similar result from Djokovic/Federer/Nadal and I can give you three from Murray. Those players have all won more slams than Andy, btw, and been number one. And winning masters before slams has never been a problem for them in the past. Nor has it for Andy, for that matter, so using that excuse when he goes out early is silly.

Yes, Murray did play that badly. This is not criticizing him. This isn't having a go, or getting the knives out or anything like that. He played badly. I think almost any unbiased observer would agree.

Again, the "being afraid to get injured" comment was directed at the very type of fan you seem to be a part of. If you read through this thread, and the hundreds of others like it, you'll see a lot of people defending crap Murray performances on injuries, or not wanting to get injured before a big tournament, or tanking, or all sorts of nonsense. The"critics" or the negative fans or whatever you want to call us, will usually just say he played ****. Like today. But then you don't tend to like that either, so, as I've suggested before, it might be best to do away with this forum, as any comment beyond "come on andy! unlucky andy! andy's great" seems to send everyone insane. If you read through my posts I haven't once insulted Murray. But saying he played badly is a big no-no. I'll remember that.

I really do despair.
This is a very good post.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #542 on: August 17, 2013, 12:06 PM »

And yet Andy is the tours 2nd most succesful player this year with 4 titles, so Djokovic made more semis than Andy whoopydoo, i think he would prefer actually winning them than making semis, no pleasing some people apparantly.

And how exactly has Djokovic "managed it" this year? he has won 1 masters (the same as Andy) and hasn't even been a runner up anywhere else (the same as Andy) i guess that's even more pathetic considering he's the worlds best player?

Djokovic almost always makes the SF or later in the MS1000's, Andy does nor.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #543 on: August 17, 2013, 12:17 PM »

Djokovic almost always makes the SF or later in the MS1000's, Andy does nor.

Right so what you're actually saying there is it's slightly less pathetic to lose in the semis than it is in the quarter finals? gotcha

I'd rather Andy win more titles than get the most semis, that's my take on it, Novak is bleeding ranking points in every tournament these days, yet despite these early losses Andy is actually gaining points, he gained 800 for winning Wimbledon (nearly a whole masters event) he gained some in his masters win in Miami, and he gained 200 plus at Queens, and virtually everywhere else he's matched or maybe bettered his points from last year.

In my mind this year he has been more succesful than last year, and everyone on these boards were exclaiming that last year was his best, so he's obviously gone forewards and not backwards, so why has it been called pathetic?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #544 on: August 17, 2013, 12:19 PM »

Said at the start of the year he really wants to improve his Masters performances so he can stake a claim for the number one spot.

In 2013 his Masters results have been: QF-W-R2-QF-R2-R3-QF.

Compare that to 2012: R2-F-QF-R3-DNP-R3-R3 (F-R3)

Honestly? That's pathetic for a player in the top 3 in the world. One semi-final all year. Only three semi-finals in the last two years.

Yes his Slam performances have been incredible but why is he incapable of performing well in both? Djokovic manages it. Nadal manages it.

Another head banging moment for me. Andy Murray is not, mercifully Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, or even god forbid Roger Federer.  Who knows why he doesn't manage it, but he doesn't. I  normally have the greatest respect for your posts, they are usually quite balanced, but I disagree with you today - sorry:-)
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #545 on: August 17, 2013, 12:24 PM »

'Pathetic'? Andy? No pathetic describes those who write such comments about a brilliant hardworking tennis player who is flawed and has never claimed to be perfect.  
Of course reasoned criticism of Andy's below par performances have a place on the forum.  I'm not looking for the kind of DD stuff someone quoted.  But as others have written, it is how that criticism is expressed that is the issue.
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #546 on: August 17, 2013, 12:25 PM »

i was out at a 80th b'day party last night and was following the score on my mobile phone.

Yes i am disappointed but i always am when murray loses. But he cant win all the time

i was hoping to logon here and see how the match actually unfolded. but the last 10 pages or so are arguments over how he is underperforming. This is Andy, we all know he is not the model of consistancy yet he has been more consistant than most this year.

can anyone please tell me in less than 100 words how the match went? did murray actually play ok? did berdych just outplay him? did murray lose his concentration?
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #547 on: August 17, 2013, 12:38 PM »

Thanks, also to Aileen, Ruthie and Debs and others who have agreed with me. It does help to recognise that there are a lot of people on here who are like minded. I also have a lot of respect for the folks who made some rather out of order comments yesterday, but have had the guts to come back on today and retract or apologise. All of us, including me, can have "foot in mouth"moments.  We just need more perspective, and not forget we support the current Olympic, US Open, and Wimbledon champion. Berdych would happily trade his victory yesterday for those.
 Abousltley  clap Also all this getting to number one, it dos'nt have to be straight away!! First it was when will he win a slam , then when will he win another , now it's number one, hopefully Andy will stay injury free, and I am sure in the next 18 months or so he will be number one and will have won more slams, just give the boy a break.  
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #548 on: August 17, 2013, 12:44 PM »

i was out at a 80th b'day party last night and was following the score on my mobile phone.

Yes i am disappointed but i always am when murray loses. But he cant win all the time

i was hoping to logon here and see how the match actually unfolded. but the last 10 pages or so are arguments over how he is underperforming. This is Andy, we all know he is not the model of consistancy yet he has been more consistant than most this year.

can anyone please tell me in less than 100 words how the match went? did murray actually play ok? did berdych just outplay him? did murray lose his concentration?

Andy did play below par...yes,berdy played well,Andy did lose concentration and got quite frustrated by a dodgy line call, the umpire, and the loud music booming out from the next court was quite frankly a disgrace which was clearly grating on both players.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #549 on: August 17, 2013, 12:44 PM »

Oh Teejay, I know it's irritating reading all those negative posts. Yesterday, I couldn't watch the match because I was too tired and when I logged on around 2:30 am (my time) to see the result, all I could see is crap. The match had just ended but there was no sign of the scoreline anywhere in this thread. I read around 5-6 pages but it was no use. I tried to inquire but my post wasn't getting posted. And I was so damn pissed because I had missed the match, couldn't see the scoreline and had to read all this **** instead.

But now, as others have already said this is exactly what happens when Andy loses every time and nothing is gonna change. So it is best to ignore these posts and not give them a read at all if it affects you..

. TJ don't you dare go , we need you  hug
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #550 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55 PM »

Right so what you're actually saying there is it's slightly less pathetic to lose in the semis than it is in the quarter finals? gotcha

I'd rather Andy win more titles than get the most semis, that's my take on it, Novak is bleeding ranking points in every tournament these days, yet despite these early losses Andy is actually gaining points, he gained 800 for winning Wimbledon (nearly a whole masters event) he gained some in his masters win in Miami, and he gained 200 plus at Queens, and virtually everywhere else he's matched or maybe bettered his points from last year.

In my mind this year he has been more succesful than last year, and everyone on these boards were exclaiming that last year was his best, so he's obviously gone forewards and not backwards, so why has it been called pathetic?

Just what I was going to say.  I wish everyone would look at these stats before getting uptight. 

Please do not go TJ.  Your posts were one of the reasons I finally joined this website.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #551 on: August 17, 2013, 01:05 PM »

This is a very good post.
Really!!!!!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #552 on: August 17, 2013, 01:57 PM »

It seems to me that some people on here judge his defeats as crimes against humanity or something, you say people have every right to react however they want to a Murray defeat, fine plough your head into a TV if Andy losing offends you that much and then ring a psychiatrist and book 6 months' worth of sessions for taking life too seriously.

IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #553 on: August 17, 2013, 02:17 PM »

I just want to post something "the morning after the night before" now I am an ardent Andy Murray fan but I do not wear Murray tinted spectacles, yesterday he played below par, thing is he's an intelligent lad that will know what's gone wrong and he'll be working damn hard to put it right before the USO.  He has made it clear his priority are the slams.  Now when he was winning masters titles everyone had a go at him as he had not won a slam, now he's winning slams everyone is questioning his commitment to the masters!!  Damned if he does and damned ifnhe doesn't.  We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, maybe Andy has made the decision to prioritise the slams to protect his back issues and give him the longevity required in his career.
I understand that everyone has their own personal opinions and yes we live in a democracy and people are entitled to that but some of the comments on a Murray fan site in the aftermath of a match which was not a disaster in anyway defy belief.  If you go onto any of the other top players websites you will not find their fans teraring into their player.  We know Andy is an amazing player but he is human not a machine on automatic, he has provided us with some amazing moments throughout his career and he will give us many more.  He has a coach that has guided him to success and a team to support him, have faith in Andy and his team to push him to more success.  Whilst Berdych deserved his win last night, that's all it was a win - not the end of the world. Losses are disappointing but we know Andy will turn up at the USO ready to give his all to defend his title.  I personally support Andy because not only his amazing genius brand of tennis but he's human, complex at times which makes him compelling, most of all what you see is what you get, he's genuine, normal and down to earth but can play a shot that astounds you and then question what you've just seen.  I'll take that any day along with his current haul of titles including 2 GS and a gold medal. 

There's a famous quote by Charles De Gaulle which says "Diplomats are useful only in fair weather as soon as it rains they drown in every drop". Bit like on here after a defeat !!

Keep the faith - onwards and upwards, proud to be an Andy Murray fan......
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Cincinnati QF: Andy Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!! « Reply #554 on: August 17, 2013, 02:44 PM »

MM @2.17pm:  Good posting!
in fact great posting.  Should be last word on the subject imo.  yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »