Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Reply
Author

Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey

(Read 5863 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #210 on: August 15, 2012, 11:28 PM »

54% first serves in. 75% points won behind both first serve and second serve.

Thanks for that TMH. It's around what I thought. Amazing to see those stats behind first and second serve. That is fantastic. I'm almost at a point now where I worry a tiny bit less about his FSP because he is winning so many points behind both serves now so consistently. I think the points behind the second serve are astonishing for Andy, and it isn't just a fluke either. It has been like that since Wimbledon. I just wish I understood how he is doing it, but it is great to see.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #211 on: August 16, 2012, 01:43 AM »

It is great that he's turning the serve from a liability to a weapon. In the past getting the first serve in was just about being able to get into the point, and every second serve it'd feel like we were just waiting for the opposite number to attack it, particularly the likes of Djokovic and Federer. Winning below 50% behind second serve was the norm.

Now the second serve is powerful enough to survive on its own, whilst the first serve has turned into a big weapon, gifting free points or else setting them up. It's an absolute delight.

How many times has Andy been broken lately? In the past he's been a player who has often been broken, but has been able to get through most occasions due to his great reading of the opponent's serve. He didn't get broken once against Djokovic, nor against Federer. Not today. In-fact, apart from in the first set against Baghdatis, did Andy get broken at all throughout the Olympics?

He needs to keep it up though, that's the main thing. As Wimbledon progressed his serve was absolutely wicked - Tsonga was getting nowhere near it in the opening two sets of that match and neither Ferrer in the final two sets of that match. Unfortunately against Federer (Wimbledon) it did fall apart a little and Murray was really struggling to hold on it. Was a completely different story in the Olympic final though - despite the low percentage, he didn't get broken once. Largely due to his playing the break points.

As pointed out by SP in Philip's thread, with the improved forehand (which is another feature of his game that has gone from liability to weapon), the beefed up serve (particularly the second) and the mental fortitude Andy is pretty much the complete player. Sure, call me biased (ok, you guys won't, but any non-Murray fans reading this as guest may feel so), but how often does Federer get torn apart like at the Olympics, on GRASS? I know Nadal's battered him on clay a couple of times, but grass? Yes you can argue tiredness (but then it was still the length of a five setter and he had an a day's rest), and that Federer played poor, but then how much of the latter was down to Murray?

If, if Andy can play like this consistently, he can beat anyone. He has the game. He's always had the game, but now with the serve, and more importantly, the forehand (I absolutely love watching him hitting winners with that, how has it ever been a liability?), and most vitally, the mental toughness, he is the complete player. Seriously, where's the weakness? Consistency is the only question. That's the difference between Andy and the top three right now.

It's an exciting time right now, I just hope it's not a false dawn.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #212 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12 AM »

Andy's first serve is definitely more of a lethal weapon now than it ever was. It was actually but he could never keep it consistent but nowadays, it's more reliable than ever. More importantly, he can get himself out of trouble at times and if he does that on a consistent basis, which basically I feel he will, it will be one of the most talked about aspects of his game. It's been already making news. His forehand is also becoming massive. Andy is like this new born planet that's constantly evolving and gathering confidence at the same time.

Anyway, Sampras is probably the best server in history so far but he wasn't always too consistent. Because I was lucky enough to watch most of his matches, I am aware of the occasional ups and downs. There were times when he struggled a lot with his first serve but he came through on crucial moments and that's where I thought it was most effective and that's where it's most required anyway. So I am sure Lendl is giving  him all the right advice. Another thing I'd say Andy needs most of the time is the natural power. He has it but I don't feel he always executes it  - only sometimes and only when he's very comfortable with that shot. That's another transition I feel he needs to make.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #213 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04 AM »

TMH: good serving stats. First service was so good for most of Wimbles. Level seems to have dipped a bit in USA.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #214 on: August 16, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Source, Sky Sport:
Cincy stroll for Murray - Murray makes no mistake in brushing aside Querrey.

Post match interview with A Croft.  Rolling Eyes

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12611_7993594,00.html

Rather strange comment from her at the end,  `Many, many congratulations and better luck with the next one'.

A cryptic comment, or just a slip of the tongue?  confused
Ugh, she's comes over sickly, sweet but is smarmy at the same time. 
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #215 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11 AM »

Perhaps Croft meant to say "best of luck with the next one" or more likely had already written her post match interview script, assuming he would lose, and she could be patronising as usual...!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #216 on: August 16, 2012, 12:51 PM »

I think it was slip of the tongue and typical of her sloppiness.  Previous day she'd talked about Andy's thigh injury  doh
Actually listening again I think perhaps she did say best of luck though Andy looked slightly startled so perhaps also heard it as better luck
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 16, 2012, 12:55 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #217 on: August 16, 2012, 03:26 PM »

Don't know if Andy's post-match interview has already been posted:

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #218 on: August 16, 2012, 04:54 PM »

Thanks sn, not seen it elsewhere.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #219 on: August 16, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Don't know if Andy's post-match interview has already been posted:

Hadn't seen that Scot, thanks.
 He's was a bit of a fidgit when he was being interviewed, wasnt he?  Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Querrey « Reply #220 on: August 16, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Hadn't seen that Scot, thanks.
 He's was a bit of a fidgit when he was being interviewed, wasnt he?  Smile
He always is which suggests he's still not entirely comfortable with all the media stuff
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »