Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Youzhny in 2
Youzhny in 3

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny  (Read 2809 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #135 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14 PM »

A very solid, intelligent performance from Andy.  He was playing well within himself and didn't need to do more than that because it felt as if Youzhny had lost before he even set foot on the court.  That said all credit to Youzhny for not imploding (a source of amazement to the Sky comms) and that he hung on in there and played some decent tennis at times, at least at the net.
Looking forward to a match report to replace 'lacklustre'

Oh and apparently Sky are going to be showing some Murray Masterclasses during USO (apologies if someone has already said that but not read through match thread)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #136 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Ruthie I thought it was almost comical how the comms were waiting for Youzhny to implode today.Good on him for holding it together.

Looking forward to the match report too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #137 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39 PM »

yes wasn't it tj.  Perhaps he'd told himself I know I can't beat Andy but at least I can beat the comms and keep my cool  w00t
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #138 on: August 14, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Nice warm up for Muzza, the first couple of matches are always the trickiest, by the time the 1/4s come around the top players are usually firing on all cylinders and i expect Andy needs a couple of matches under his belt before he starts feeling loose  clap
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #139 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02 PM »

Easy Peasy for El Tradesmano
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #140 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06 PM »

yes wasn't it tj.  Perhaps he'd told himself I know I can't beat Andy but at least I can beat the comms and keep my cool  w00t

It did seem like that, indeed! Mind you, I can't criticise the comms really. I was waiting for a racquet to go myself!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #141 on: August 14, 2013, 07:26 PM »

Aileen on Sky they mentioned the heat. They said it was cool by Cincy standards today, only about 65 degrees, so quite comfortable.
Goodness, that is low for Cincy.  Hope it stays that way.

I think that, if he has got enough self-confidence, he should always play near baseline because it is from there that his new forehand can be dangerous.
Living 3mt beside he risks to play sleeply and then becomes frustrated.

Playing near baseline doesn't mean play offensive, but just let the opponent feels your presence of . 2 in the world.
He can play with passing shots from baseline but with mind would be always offensive.
I agree, but Andy has also said one reason he stays near the baseline is because he knows he can run quickly forward to get balls near the net, which is why he's so keen on doing his 200 metre sprints in Miami.  And more often than not, it works, but I still think it's an energy consuming tactic, and I'm sure he could shorten some of these equally energy wasting long rallies if he did come to the net more often because he's so good there.

IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #142 on: August 14, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Great start Mr Muzz   yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #143 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51 PM »

I agree, but Andy has also said one reason he stays near the baseline is because he knows he can run quickly forward to get balls near the net, which is why he's so keen on doing his 200 metre sprints in Miami.  And more often than not, it works, but I still think it's an energy consuming tactic, and I'm sure he could shorten some of these equally energy wasting long rallies if he did come to the net more often because he's so good there.

Andy himself said in his Sky interview that he needed to play more aggressively in subsequent matches and he referred to coming to the net.  Actually I seem to remember thinking that he was playing quite a way behind the line for much of the Wimbledon final and shouting at him to come forward- and look how that turned out!
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #144 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26 PM »

It did seem like that, indeed! Mind you, I can't criticise the comms really. I was waiting for a racquet to go myself!
Yeah, TJ, we didnt get a lesson "how to beat the life out of inocent tennis raqcuets" from Youz, did we? It would have spiced up an otherwise dull match. But good for him he kept his cool  !
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #145 on: August 14, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Andy himself said in his Sky interview that he needed to play more aggressively in subsequent matches and he referred to coming to the net.  Actually I seem to remember thinking that he was playing quite a way behind the line for much of the Wimbledon final and shouting at him to come forward- and look how that turned out!
Yes I was the same at the Wimby final!  I'm still waiting to hear an interview because TennisTV chopped us off when the match ended.

Yeah, TJ, we didnt get a lesson "how to beat the life out of inocent tennis raqcuets" from Youz, did we? It would have spiced up an otherwise dull match. But good for him he kept his cool  !
I must admit I'd forgotten about the racquet smashing, and Youzhny never looked frustrated enough to do it anyway, so maybe he's been to anger management classes!

IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #146 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Managed to leave work early to watch match - so glad I did, very enjoyable!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #147 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59 PM »

I have to be honest, I love a good racquet smash! I know, it's bad, it's a bad example, those naughty players smashing racquets, but it's a good way to get rid of tension! I swear at the TV, some of the players smash the odd racquet, it's all the same thing Smile.

Youzhny has belted the life out of a few racquets in his time, as has the lovely Baggy, but I think I prefer Djokovic's technique the best. Andy's not bad at it, but his technique could do with a bit of 'something', and I don't mean punching the strings and drawing blood! Ahh, remember the days......Smile.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #148 on: August 14, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Is Marcus on holiday this week? cos Anabel is irritating! Shes is all over Andy now like a rash after she was so rude about him before he won Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R2: Murray vs Youzhny « Reply #149 on: August 15, 2013, 07:40 AM »

I wondered what had happened to Marcus Rachie.  Perhaps he's saving himself for USO.  Would seem odd to have a holiday this week though when he's had most of the summer to have one - unless he does do other sports coverage for Sky.  Although Annabel is the former player he always seems much more on the ball than she is.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »