Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author

Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy

(Read 9775 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #390 on: August 16, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Yes he has said he'll probably go straight to NY and start work there in his press conference - have posted transcript on match report thread
Thanks Ruthie, How do I find match report thread .?
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #391 on: August 16, 2012, 10:00 PM »

As I said in the news thread, this isn't remotely relevant to the USO. It is clear to me that whilst another Masters win would be nice, it is the majors where Andy focuses his best play, and he should too.

By focussing on the Slams to the detriment of Masters tournaments Andy just puts himself under a lot of extra pressure for the Slams.  What happens if he faces a Rosol in the 2nd round at the USO? The tournaments he shouldn't be too bothered about are the 250s (like Queens) or the 500s (like Dubai). IMO its a huge mistake not to give 100% in the prestigous Masters tournaments when there is a 1000 points up for grabs. These points are vital to maintain your ranking and make no mistake if Andy falls to number 5 winning a Slam just gets a hell of a lot harder. He is likely to face Joker, Fed, Nadal in the quarters, not the semis as he does now. Andy is 25, super-fit and in the prime of his career. There's no reason he can't play Masters and Slams. He should wait till he's 30 before concentrating solely on the Slams.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #392 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03 PM »

Tsonga's out, Ferrer's out - many others are playing badly. Give the lad a break. He couldn't keep up that pace for ever. Hope he will be fine for the US Open, but he is still operating under great pressure.  Let's not forget he is still the Murray we know and love.

This one is over - lets move on and not analyse it too much.
Good posting!
Yes let's just say  poster_oops .
I too had thought that at least the players closest to him in the rankings aren't picking up any points here this week.  And perhaps this will prove a reality check as Andy had to come down to earth at some point.  This is one of those occasions when I'm so glad that Mr L will be there next week to help him get back on track.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #393 on: August 16, 2012, 10:04 PM »

Thanks Ruthie, How do I find match report thread .?
You go to news deb; it's the front page thread.  I prefer not to name the thread as it's so blooody negative.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #394 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09 PM »

You go to news deb; it's the front page thread.  I prefer not to name the thread as it's so blooody negative.
Thanks again Ruthie, oh i can imagine the negativity !!!

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #395 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09 PM »

You know what so focused on Andy didnt realise Ferrer went out to Wawrinka, score line worse than Andys. What happened there too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #396 on: August 16, 2012, 10:25 PM »

Indeed, which good news from Andy's point of view. Stan now beating Kei easily too, which is a shame as I like Kei.. Stan seems to be on a roll this week.
As for the title of the match report thread let's just say it was written by our most 'dismal' match reporter   Whistle
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #397 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39 PM »

Indeed, which good news from Andy's point of view. Stan now beating Kei easily too, which is a shame as I like Kei.. Stan seems to be on a roll this week.
As for the title of the match report thread let's just say it was written by our most 'dismal' match reporter   Whistle

I don't like your campaign against Boogers.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #398 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43 PM »

I was reading a tweet that it was very hot and very blustery there today, could that have been the reason.  Will have to watch tonight, although I hate watching losing matches.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #399 on: August 16, 2012, 10:50 PM »

Hi again all,

The thing that I was pleased to see today was that though Andy was clearly frustrated, he didn't go too mad at himself. There was no ranting or raving. Some would say that suggests he was flat, and I would take the point, but it also indicates that he has definitely realised that getting down on himself really does not help.

Andy's team looked half asleep throughout the match. There were many moments where I wished for either Judy or Kim to appear to send Andy some positive vibes. Still, that can't be helped. I would still much prefer this result now than at the USO.

I know some will disagree, but I think he is right to focus so much on the majors now, not the Masters. He said in his press conference that sometimes he has gone in to majors having won tournaments and it hasn't helped him. I think as well that Andy has proved himself at Masters level. He has won 8 of the things. Andy is now right, in my view, to focus on getting that first major, and I still feel he is very, very close to it, closer than Chardy wil ever be.

The disaster from here will be if people read too much in to this and then it is used as a stick to beat Andy with. Andy is in no danger of losing his place in the top four, and any suggestion he is is ridiculous. He could still overtake Nadal this year. If he wins the USO and WTF he would still finish the year at No.1 in the world. The big picture doesn't change because of one bad day.

I'd actually quite like to see Chardy win the rotten vase now.  It's not likely (although, who knows?), but it would make me happy.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #400 on: August 16, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Hi again all,

The thing that I was pleased to see today was that though Andy was clearly frustrated, he didn't go too mad at himself. There was no ranting or raving. Some would say that suggests he was flat, and I would take the point, but it also indicates that he has definitely realised that getting down on himself really does not help.

Andy's team looked half asleep throughout the match. There were many moments where I wished for either Judy or Kim to appear to send Andy some positive vibes. Still, that can't be helped. I would still much prefer this result now than at the USO.

I know some will disagree, but I think he is right to focus so much on the majors now, not the Masters. He said in his press conference that sometimes he has gone in to majors having won tournaments and it hasn't helped him. I think as well that Andy has proved himself at Masters level. He has won 8 of the things. Andy is now right, in my view, to focus on getting that first major, and I still feel he is very, very close to it, closer than Chardy wil ever be.

The disaster from here will be if people read too much in to this and then it is used as a stick to beat Andy with. Andy is in no danger of losing his place in the top four, and any suggestion he is is ridiculous. He could still overtake Nadal this year. If he wins the USO and WTF he would still finish the year at No.1 in the world. The big picture doesn't change because of one bad day.

I'd actually quite like to see Chardy win the rotten vase now.  It's not likely (although, who knows?), but it would make me happy.
Good posting!
Thanks for your positive post!!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #401 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20 PM »

Suggestions here of tanking. Hmm.

I doubt Murray wanted to burn 800 points just like that. Defending a title is always a great motivator too. However, I do believe that Murray commits less effort to Masters 1000s than he used to, and quite rightly. He is absolutely desperate to win that maiden slam, and if that requires less investment in the smaller tournaments, so be it.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #402 on: August 16, 2012, 11:24 PM »

Reading the comments on the dreaded Daily Mail report of this match, they are surprisingly sympathetic apart from the odd cretin. I don't think many people are surprised. The come down had to happen at some point.  Better now than later. The people below him are not going very well. Mr Nadal is losing points hand over fist. His no 4 ranking surely is in no immediate danger?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #403 on: August 16, 2012, 11:24 PM »

As for the title of the match report thread let's just say it was written by our most 'dismal' match reporter   Whistle

Harsh.

As much as I do think Phil is ultimately hard on Murray, I think we have all seen that he takes equally great pleasure when Murray does play well.

As someone who worked on the news team, I personally appreciate the time and effort he puts into writing the articles (which I would argue are of a very high quality) at the very minimum. Whether you disagree with the content or not, is of course your prerogative.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #404 on: August 17, 2012, 01:31 AM »

Andy's post-match interview:

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »