Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy  (Read 6748 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #405 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04 AM »

Reading the comments on the dreaded Daily Mail report of this match, they are surprisingly sympathetic apart from the odd cretin. I don't think many people are surprised. The come down had to happen at some point.  Better now than later. The people below him are not going very well. Mr Nadal is losing points hand over fist. His no 4 ranking surely is in no immediate danger?
I think most sensible people will be sympathetic.  I've said it before and will say it again - it's extremely unfortunate that Andy had to play Toronto, and even here, given the circumstances.  I wonder what many other medalists are feeling now?  Wouldn't surprise me if the big come-down has hit them too.  Even if they're on holiday, a reaction has to come at some point.

I'm sure many of us have experienced this in our lives at some level after we've achieved something special - when the adrenaline stops pumping and the euphoria and elation begin to wear off and feelings of flatness, even anxiety, loss of confidence and self-doubt, take over, especially if we're tired as a result of the effort we put into that achievement in the first place.  Of course you do get over it, but it can be a bit settling.  Andy may have beaten Querrey but in that state of mind it doesn't take too much to throw you - in his case a few bad shots, off-court distractions, windy conditions ...

P.S. - Thanks for posting the interview Linda.  Andy's agitated demeanour rather bears out what I've just said.  He needed a good rest for a few days after London, not travelling 3,500 miles to run round a tennis court either in training for, or playing in, more competitions.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #406 on: August 17, 2012, 07:06 AM »

Completely agree Aileen. Andy had two minutes to savour his victory, then onto a plane, off to the other side of the world and playing "normal" tournaments.  There's bound to be a huge let down. Fed was lucky he was not obliged to play Toronto.
With Rafa out, there's not the same urgency about defending points either.
Also , if his knee was giving him trouble, which looks likely because of serving motion, then  I'm really glad he's out.
He needs to get to NY, get some rest, get some TLC from Ivan  lmao and prepare for the BIG ONE.
Like Iris though, I think AO will be the first slam. Ivan will've been working with him for a year so the timings right and Andy's always done well there anyway. Fingers crossed
Of course, really happy to be proved wrong and this one is the first yay
IP Logged
Ivelina

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #407 on: August 17, 2012, 07:12 AM »

At least he still has chances for US Open plus now the time to prepare mentally and to rest properly.
Life goes on and young talented people like Murray can always get back on track,whatever happens.It's not like his career is in danger.
Hope his knee is healing hug
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #408 on: August 17, 2012, 07:44 AM »

The disaster from here will be if people read too much in to this and then it is used as a stick to beat Andy with. Andy is in no danger of losing his place in the top four, and any suggestion he is is ridiculous.

Heres the Race points. Fact is Ferrer just needs to do a little bit better than Andy from now till the end of the season and he will overtake him. With Andy being so inconsistent this is a very real possibility. Results like yesterday just heap more pressure on him.

1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)    8,110    1    12
2 Federer, Roger (SUI)    7,545    -1    14
3 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)    6,840    0    13
4 Murray, Andy (GBR)    4,640    0    14
5 Ferrer, David (ESP)    4,005    0    17
6 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)    3,030    0    15
7 Berdych, Tomas (CZE)    2,710    1    16
8 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)    2,700    -1    16
9 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB)    2,350    2    19
10 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP)    2,195    -1    20

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #409 on: August 17, 2012, 08:12 AM »

Well Ferrer seems to be going through something of a mini-slump at present as not performed well here or in Olympics but yes the gap is too close for comfort so no room for complacency,
Re my post re Boogers' match report: yes it was harsh but then so was his match report - and the headline in particular - harsh.  While of course a report of that match will be critical I do think it could have shown more understanding of Andy's situation as it sounds like comments on the Mail website even have shown.  If Andy's own fan website is posting the harshest assessment of the match, then I think other members are entitled to query this.  But Joe it's not a campaign,  It's an expression of my anger * that the official assessment of the match on MW is so very harsh and I'm sorry but I find this is so often the case with Boogers' reports.  

* reference to your other comment that Boogers reacts in anger rather than sorrow.  Well I react in sorrow when Andy falls short but in anger to match reports which dub Andy 'dismal'.  w00t
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #410 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39 AM »

In the cold light of day, ok, it did bring us all back down to earth, but we just got remember Queens this year, he was big favourite for that tounament & look what happened afterwards!!

I too take offence to Andy being called 'dismal'. We all know thats not true. Wimbledon final & Olympic champion in his last 4 tournaments is hardly inconsistant.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #411 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09 AM »

Hi All,

Okay, I must be thick. Someone explain the difference to me between the race and the ATP rankings. My understanding is that the race is basically relevant to qualification to the WTF. Is that right?

When I say rankings I mean the ATP rankings, where even with the points Andy has now lost, there is still a considerable gap between him and Ferrer, so I don't see any need to panic. Andy is four in the world. He's not budging from there, except to move upwards, any time soon.

Anyone would think this loss was going to set the pattern for the USO and the rest of the year. I very much doubt that. Andy brings his best to the majors, no doubt about it, and it is what he should be doing.

I'm in no doubt whatsoever that Andy will move on from this quickly. It is unfortunate, but not the end of the world. I think Aileen said it right. There was bound to be some reaction to the euphoria of the Olympics. Tennis doesn't allow time, unlike a lot of other sports, for success to be savoured, or for the mind to come back down to earth from such a success. The trouble with playing Toronto and Cincy is that Andy would have been damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

I get the feeling that this was the sort of result Mark Petchey was wary of early in the week. Listening to him after the match yesterday I do think there was a sense of almost inevitability to it, as if he knew a come down was going to happen at some point. Well it seems as if it now has. Andy certainly seemed flat out there.

I have no doubt that Andy will be ready for the USO, and that he will qualify for the WTF. Yesterday's result wasn't great, don't get me wrong. Andy's face after the match said it all. That said, I don't see any point in turning a minor blip into a melodrama.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #412 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34 AM »

Hi All,

Okay, I must be thick. Someone explain the difference to me between the race and the ATP rankings. My understanding is that the race is basically relevant to qualification to the WTF. Is that right?

no not thick tj as the system is confusing.  ATP rankings are what decides whether you're #1 etc and are based on a rolling annual count so each week the same points gained in the equivalent week last year fall off.  The race is, as you say, what decides who qualifies for the WTF and is based on points gained in the calendar year.  Ferrer has been doing v well until recently this calendar year so is doing v well in the race. Andy is still carrying alot of points from last Autumn so bigger gap between him and Ferrer in the rankings.  But of course this means Andy can't afford to drop many points between now and end of season though a good showing at WTF would be good news for his ranking.  Hope that makes sense - as I am sure no expert!
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #413 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44 AM »

As I understand it tj the race is the number of points a player has achieved during the season Jan to Dec. The rankings go from date to date  so from August last year to August this year.
 Try live-tennis.eu I find it helpful
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #414 on: August 17, 2012, 09:54 AM »

I do feel that Murray is playing a dangerous game concentrating so much on Slams  but never forget that he is a canny Scot and knows more about things than I do. I feel that if and when he wins a Slam he will suddenly retire He's made a lot of money and I'm sure he has other plans for his life other than playing tennis.
 Whatever he does he has my good wishes. He beat Federer at Wimbledon in a final most unexpectedly  Have we forgotten that already?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #415 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57 AM »

Heres the Race points. Fact is Ferrer just needs to do a little bit better than Andy from now till the end of the season and he will overtake him. With Andy being so inconsistent this is a very real possibility. Results like yesterday just heap more pressure on him.

I can't see that happening though - Andy should gain more points than him at the USO and he usually performs really well in the autumn. Also, a good showing at the WTF will boost his ranking.

It's unfortunate that he lost yesterday but not a disaster either. Rafa never does particularly well in Cincinatti but he's gone on to reach the USO semis from 2008-2009, and the final in 2010-11. So long as Andy gets some good practise in on the hardcourts, he'll be ready to go - the downside of the Olympics is that he's not been able to go to Miami to acclimatise to the heat and the hardcourts again.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #416 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19 AM »

@ Bignose.
Andy was No5 at the AO once and got either to semis, or final can't remember, don't think it makes much difference tbh. Besides looks as if Rafa is out of the running for a bit, so who knows what will happen Shrug
Yeah, "dismal" is not the right word. "Below Par" much more like it.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #417 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35 AM »

@ Bignose.
Andy was No5 at the AO once and got either to semis, or final can't remember, don't think it makes much difference tbh. Besides looks as if Rafa is out of the running for a bit, so who knows what will happen Shrug

It was the AO final in 2011 - he also reached the AO final in 2010 as the fifth-seeded player (though ranked number 4), beating Rafa in the QF on his way to the final. And then at the USO 2008 he was ranked number 6. So being ranked outside the top 4 definitely didn't stop him reaching GS finals.

It would be just as much a disadvantage to Nole, Roger and Rafa if Andy did leave the top 4. I'm sure none of them would want to face Andy as early as the QFs of a slam. But I don't see it happening, especially now that he's received such a boost after winning Olympic gold. He's been inconsistent all year outside of the slams/Olympics but has played excellent tennis where it really mattered. I dare say that if his ranking was under immediate threat, he'd raise his level in other events too.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #418 on: August 17, 2012, 10:55 AM »

To me it all comes down to Andy being tired, he has just run out of steam. Though I hate to see him loose,I think it was for the best in the long run. Andy needs to recuperate, and he will be fit a ready for the US Open.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Cincinnati R3 : Murray v Chardy « Reply #419 on: August 17, 2012, 11:43 AM »

Below par yes or flat would have been appropriate.  Andy was flat.  His team were flat.  I felt flat watching it. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »