Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals

(Read 3275 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:36 PM »

^^Cheers Nige,how things have changed.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 09:45 PM »

Wasn't the Aussie Open the only time John Lloyd got to a final?  I always thought that was a fantastic result for him but if most of the big names weren't there it would explain it.

Yeah, it was weak. Vitas Gerulaitis beat him. It was also the SECOND Australian Open of 1977.

Pre-77, the AO had a bit of cred and was often won by top Aussies. It was held in January at this time. It was in 77 that it moved to December and there were 2 held that year (Lloyd made the final of the 2nd and weaker one). In 87, it was shifted back to January and no tourney was held in 86.

Some pretty ropey times - so it's quite amazing to see it with its current status.

IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 07:53 PM »

This 'joke' is going around Facebook.  Would be vaguely amusing if it were at least factually correct.

Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45 PM »

That's old. Pretty sure I heard Frankie Boyle say it on Mock the Week years ago.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11 PM »

That is now nine Slam semi finals Murray has played in.  The top three have played in the following since the start of the 08 USO.

Djokovic - 9 out of 14 - 4 titles
Nadal - 10 out of 13 - 5 titles
Federer - 11 out of 14 - 4 titles

IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13 PM »

Cool.  Now Andy just needs a few GS titles to go with the SFs. 4 would be a good to match the rest Whistle
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25 PM »

Four would be good to match the rest, the next 4 slams would do very nicely.  Don't think it will happen though.

Del potro has played in two and has a slam win.  The law of averages have got to work in Murrays favour soon haven't they.
[ Last edit by Geo January 30, 2012, 11:30 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 06:20 PM »

The signs are there that he is a great player in the waiting, the stats support it. I would even say its inevitable that he will be a multiple slam winner. But nothing's really for certain in life. Still it would be strange if he did not become one.

He has the stats of an all-time great in all but on category: slam wins.

His stats are incredible for someone who has not won a major.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 11:56 PM »

What about the French Open this year. Can Andy at least reach the semis?
I think he can because last year Andy improved immensely on the red filth and was clearly the 4th best on that surface. Or did he even get more points than Federer. I couldn't beleive how andy almost beat Nole in Rome. Im really looking forward to the clay season again.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 07:02 AM »

And Ivan won RG...Wink
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40 AM »

I feel like we are going to be in for a surprise come RG. Last year I thought Andy played great on clay, and at the time thought why does he think it is his worse surface.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 03:20 PM »

What about the French Open this year. Can Andy at least reach the semis?
I think he can because last year Andy improved immensely on the red filth and was clearly the 4th best on that surface. Or did he even get more points than Federer. I couldn't beleive how andy almost beat Nole in Rome. Im really looking forward to the clay season again.
Federer was runner up at the FO last year so I doubt it, but he did play very well on clay last season. He took a set of Nadal in The Monte Carlo match too.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 03:26 PM »

I feel like we are going to be in for a surprise come RG. Last year I thought Andy played great on clay, and at the time thought why does he think it is his worse surface.
I agree, but I remember he used to say on the ATP site that it was his favorite surface.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23 AM »

I agree, but I remember he used to say on the ATP site that it was his favorite surface.

Yes, I remember him saying that too. And I remember thinking, "Well do a bit b****y better on it then!"
Perhaps he will this year. I feel he's got such a chance.....must change name to Pollyanna....Wink
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32 AM »

The problem with clay is that a) the bounce is lower,  b) ability to slide correctly into position is important  and c) the ball moves slower after the bounce giving more time for defender to recover their position

This means that someone who puts more top spin into the ball (like Nadal) and can slide properly will have more success.  

Last year Nole was able to break this trend by hitting the ball cleanly near the baseline, taking the time away from the clay courters and blasted them off court.

If Andy is able to improve his sliding, and duplicate Nole baseline hugging, clean ball striking technique, then there is no reason why he can't do well on clay this year.  I look forward with eager anticipation as Andy excellent results last year shows he has come to grip with the red dirt Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »