Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals

(Read 3413 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48 PM »

You are right. Paris is no longer carpet. In fact, Basel is no longer carpet either. Since 2007 they have made it indoor hard. I've checked ATP Tournaments schedule and there's no carpet tournament this year at all. They must have scrapped it altogether. All the carpet events are now played on Indoor Hard.

So we have now approximately 65 ATP tournaments:

Hard - 23 (35%)

Clay - 22 (34%)

Grass - 6 (9%)

Indoor Hard - 13 (20%)

Indoor Clay - 1 (2%)

Indoor Carpet - 0 (0%)

Olympics will be played on grass. As to Davis Cup - it has yet to specify.

I really liked carpet but I guess with the rise of players like Nadal, fast surfaces like carpet are disappearing fast.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Aileen Smile Must be easier on the old knees though?
Well that advert does say it's kind to joints and muscles ... Smile  Unfortunately I'm too old to have ever experienced playing any sport indoors on a carpeted surface - just plain wooden floors!
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13 PM »

All my schools had wooden floors too.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 05:15 PM »

Yes we are not as spoiled as the kids these days. Wooden floors from my era too.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 08:13 PM »

Not just schools but church and community halls (badminton) so adults "suffered" as well.  But as we didn't know anything else, we just got on with it and were none the worse for it either, so I don't necessarily see anyone today as being spoiled.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Carpet tennis feels downright dangerous - played on it a handful of times and always feel my feet sticks and the bounce (or lack of) sucks. I get the feeling it would be so easy to twist a knee on this surface.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14 PM »

There are no carpets since 2007 and I don't think there will be any anytime soon.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 11:27 PM »

There are no carpets since 2007 and I don't think there will be any anytime soon.
I think there is still carpet courts down at Futures level.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #53 on: February 12, 2012, 04:18 PM »

I think there is still carpet courts down at Futures level.

I couldn't find any. I looked through all the Challengers and Futures level and there's none. There are a lot of Indoor events but nowadays they are all played on hard courts anyway.

I really think it's the lack of variety of the surface is what making the top guys break all sorts of records in the Open era. Even Federer admits it in his post match interview at the AO, Federer - "Anyway, every surface is very similar today, otherwise we couldn't have achieved all these things on all these different surfaces so quickly, like him and myself." By him, he means Nadal.

Now, I don't doubt for a minute that these players, the top four, are generally very good players, but to break all sorts of records in the same era, pretty much in the same decade (the homogenization of the surface started in 2002) is another matter and this can't be done without the help of the surface and the racquet technology. It's a myth that Federer's favourite surface is fast courts. He is, in fact, a very good slow court player. This actually feels a bit unfair to the previous generations who had to play on different surfaces that varied considerably from surface to surface. I really wonder how many Slams Federer, Nadal and Djokovic would have won had the surfaces were still the same as the 90s. I personally don't give Federer more than 12, Nadal 6, and Novak 1.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 12, 2012, 04:43 PM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 04:40 PM »

I agree Emma. Different surfaces cause different play conditions and there are more possibilities of upsets in the first two rounds as the player adapts to the surface.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Right. For example, Novak didn't play any grass tournaments before Wimbledon just last year and this was always his least favourite surface yet he was able to win it. And what about those clay courters in the 90s who couldn't even get past the first rounds at Wimbledon let alone anywhere else that was not clay? And the only player who was able to make a decent showing was Corretja though not consistently enough. And now almost all the clay courters make the qtr finals on a more regular basis and that's regardless of the surface.

And the tennis itself is so predictable with the constant baseline rallies. Is this really the golden era as some suggest? I highly doubt it. This is not a four way competition but one way. Nadal dominates Federer on all surfaces and Novak dominates Nadal on all surfaces. Heck, he dominates everyone everywhere. The results are always one way traffic. And despite all the long rallies, some players are still able to go all the way and fight another few hours looking just as fresh. Federer, at age 30, still going just as strong. This is all very strange to me.

Andy is the only player who still looks very human to me. I still maintain, while he looked at his best at the AO, he still couldn't have played another 5 setter just after a day against Nadal in the final let alone win it.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 12, 2012, 05:55 PM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #56 on: February 12, 2012, 05:52 PM »

Agree that the grass at Wimbledon used to play much faster so most Spanish players didn't even bother to turn up for Wimbledon.  Nadal was saying in the Wimbledon final that with the grass worn away (due to the baseline slugfest), it played almost like a clay court !
[ Last edit by Philip February 12, 2012, 06:52 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #57 on: February 12, 2012, 07:17 PM »

I couldn't find any. I looked through all the Challengers and Futures level and there's none. There are a lot of Indoor events but nowadays they are all played on hard courts anyway.
http://www.itftennis.com/mens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100026018
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #58 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49 PM »

Thanks, I found 12 in total for 2012 and 2 on the Challenger level. My original source was ATP.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Consecutive Slam Semi-Finals « Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35 PM »

Agree that the grass at Wimbledon used to play much faster so most Spanish players didn't even bother to turn up for Wimbledon.  Nadal was saying in the Wimbledon final that with the grass worn away (due to the baseline slugfest), it played almost like a clay court !

Look at the picture below. Notice how the pristine courts with wear only on the baseline.

This picture is from the Borg-McEnroe 1980. This one was more all court tennis back then. Notice the wear on this court.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »