Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB

(Read 16997 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #120 on: September 13, 2013, 05:24 PM »

GB are obviously not favourites but Andy is capable of winning two 5 set matches against anyone. And our doubles team is one of the best.
GB are favourites to win this tie.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #121 on: September 13, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Russell Fuller ‏@russellcfuller
Andy Murray & Leon Smith will be locked in conversation tomorrow morning to decide whether the Murray back is up to doubles & Sunday singles

Russell Fuller ‏@russellcfuller
Smith told @DavidLawTennis for tonight's 5Live Sport on @bbc5live that Murray will 'lead the way' in the decision
I always supported Andy decision to play Davis Cup but if his back is not up it he should not be playing.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #122 on: September 13, 2013, 05:28 PM »

GB are favourites to win this tie.
I meant the Davis Cup, not just this tie.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #123 on: September 13, 2013, 05:28 PM »

I meant the Davis Cup, not just this tie.
Well ok
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #124 on: September 13, 2013, 07:16 PM »

Andy's laugh always cracks me up, and clearly I'm not the only one. roflmao

I don't think that is Andy's real laugh. I think it may be a bit of an in-joke.

I saw him do that laugh during some interviews during the Asian swing in 2011.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #125 on: September 13, 2013, 08:22 PM »

Not surprised Dan lost tbh.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #126 on: September 13, 2013, 08:35 PM »

I have to wonder wtf Murray is playing at. Who cares about the Davis Cup? The GB team have no chance of doing anything significant in the world group, and he's just going to make his back issue worse. Pointless.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #127 on: September 13, 2013, 08:41 PM »

I have to wonder wtf Murray is playing at. Who cares about the Davis Cup? The GB team have no chance of doing anything significant in the world group, and he's just going to make his back issue worse. Pointless.
Maybe it means something to him.  I'm not sure he really cares about what it means to you?  Just a thought. Shrug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #128 on: September 13, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Maybe it means something to him.  I'm not sure he really cares about what it means to you?  Just a thought. Shrug
He does seem to enjoy playing for his country and being part of a team - but if the next thing we hear is that he's pulling out of Tokyo/Shanghai because of his back then surely even he must question the wisdom of having played, especially right on top of the USO.  Unfortunately his back really flared up after he announced his commitment to play, so I guess he didn't want to break that commitment.  That Croatia chose to play on clay was also unfortunate.

Like Boogers though I feel the DC is no longer of any relevance.  In fact I see it as a complete waste of players' time and energy in a Tour calendar which is already packed.  Also GB are where they are at the moment because without Murray that is exactly where they should be.  We simply aren't worthy of the World Group.  Andy should be left to focus on his career and let the rest of the lads get on with it.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #129 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18 PM »

He does seem to enjoy playing for his country and being part of a team - but if the next thing we hear is that he's pulling out of Tokyo/Shanghai because of his back then surely even he must question the wisdom of having played, especially right on top of the USO.  Unfortunately his back really flared up after he announced his commitment to play, so I guess he didn't want to break that commitment.  That Croatia chose to play on clay was also unfortunate.

Like Boogers though I feel the DC is no longer of any relevance.  In fact I see it as a complete waste of players' time and energy in a Tour calendar which is already packed.  Also GB are where they are at the moment because without Murray that is exactly where they should be.  We simply aren't worthy of the World Group.  Andy should be left to focus on his career and let the rest of the lads get on with it.
Yes - Andy should be left to focus on what's important to him, and that may not be what's important to others.  I'm not fussed what he does now, as long as he's true to himself. The guy is a legend, and I'll never tire of seeing him lifting that Wimbledon Trophy. 
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #130 on: September 13, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Yes - Andy should be left to focus on what's important to him, and that may not be what's important to others.  I'm not fussed what he does now, as long as he's true to himself. The guy is a legend, and I'll never tire of seeing him lifting that Wimbledon Trophy. 

I think that's true. I feel like Andy has already delivered everything we could have hoped and dreamed for. Everything else from now is just extra gravy ! :-)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #131 on: September 13, 2013, 09:26 PM »

I really can see why Andy would want to play DC. He loves the whole team thing. The problem is that in terms of playing or not, Andy is damned if he does, but equally damned if he doesn't. Someone was bound to carp if Andy hadn't played this tie. I can almost hear it now, people saying Andy was keen enough to play DC to qualify for the Olympics, but wouldn't play/pulled out when the team needed him. If memory is right Andy agreed to play before he knew the tie would be on clay and I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to back out of a commitment to play.

I've said for a while that GB are where they should be just now. All Andy can really do is hold back the inevitable, because really, with all due respect to the team, are they going to stay in the world group if Andy doesn't play every tie? I think he should focus on his own career first and foremost.

It's very interesting to me that Andy has been quoted as saying DC should be mandatory. I can see it in the sense that it would attract the top players to it, but I think to really work it would need to mean something in terms of ranking points, which as I understand it, it currently doesn't really.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #132 on: September 13, 2013, 09:28 PM »

Anyone remember when he crashed out of the 09 US Open, losing to Marin "I love drugs" Cilic, suffering from a wrist injury? Then played in the Davis cup and made it worse?

Seems eerily familiar doesn't it.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #133 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Everything else from now is just extra gravy ! :-)

What total horseshit. Murray has the opportunity to win another four or five slams at least, and enter the pantheon of the greats. Jeopardising that by playing in a *totally irrelevant* competition is just a shame.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #134 on: September 13, 2013, 09:37 PM »

What total horseshit. Murray has the opportunity to win another four or five slams at least, and enter the pantheon of the greats. Jeopardising that by playing in a *totally irrelevant* competition is just a shame.
That's your view - perhaps you'd like to afford others theirs? 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »