Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB  (Read 12966 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #135 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48 PM »

That's your view - perhaps you'd like to afford others theirs? 

I'm sorry, you appear to have mistaken disagreement for censorship. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #136 on: September 13, 2013, 10:08 PM »

I think the DC is a great opportunity for many players, especially for the lesser players.    It's not every day you get to play for your country.  I think Andy enjoys playing DC. You can see the enjoyment he gets out of it, especially when it's at Braehead.    I think it's great he decided to play this tie,  it would help with his confidence.   
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #137 on: September 13, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Agree - stopped him coming home from new york and berating himself - gave him an immediate purpose and something he loves to do- play in a team.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #138 on: September 13, 2013, 10:48 PM »

Anyone remember when he crashed out of the 09 US Open, losing to Marin "I love drugs" Cilic, suffering from a wrist injury? Then played in the Davis cup and made it worse?

Seems eerily familiar doesn't it.
It does indeed Boogers, and even more unfortunately GB lost the tie despite him playing, although I seem to recall that on that occasion John Lloyd was twisting his arm, something Leon Smith wouldn't do, so we have to assume Murray stuck to his commitment knowing what the risks are. 
[ Last edit by Aileen September 13, 2013, 10:51 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #139 on: September 14, 2013, 01:11 AM »

Yes, in the first game - 57 shots!

After the match the Briton said: "My goal at the start was to make it incredibly physical and the sixth point [a 57 shot rally] showed that. I missed some forehands at the start but after the first six games I found my rhythm. "I was happy with my return throughout and apart from the start of the third set where I lost a bit of concentration I finished well." - See more at: http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/News/2013/One-apiece-after-day-one-of-Croatia-v-GB/#sthash.qnErNsud.dpuf

Watch your back, Andy..
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #140 on: September 14, 2013, 01:31 AM »

I don't think that is Andy's real laugh. I think it may be a bit of an in-joke.

I saw him do that laugh during some interviews during the Asian swing in 2011.

nah I think his reaction to the mic problem was way too quick to put on a calculated laugh.

I also remember the 2011 Asian swing interviews, mainly because I'd never heard him laugh out loud like that before. He appeared pretty genuine to me.

Andy's laugh at 6:10

And at 4:20 "Perfume or tie?" roflmao

IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #141 on: September 14, 2013, 04:06 AM »

can only think Andy is helping out his tennis mates playing this comp....makes no sense for his career to be playing this. His back is clearly causing him alot of probs this season....and I sense that he is constantly trying to patch the problem inbetween comps. Switching back to clay court with little practice time is a huge risk for him at this stage of his career....with an ongoing back problem that seems to be getting progressively worse and more frequent.

I can see Andy requiring time out of the game like Nadal to try and improve it. The problem with that , of course , is that he is approaching his peak... and a terrible time to have to do that.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #142 on: September 14, 2013, 06:52 AM »

Am mixed about this one. Personally can't get excited about the Davis Cup, but can see that it's the only chance you get to get a "team" feel in tennis. Also, when it's held in this country it's very inspirational for kids. As Andy now says it should be mandatory, he must feel strongly about it. Clearly, now Lloyd is out of the way, he loves it.
Also, as someone mentioned,  no time to brood over US loss.
The only downside is if his back has been adversely effected.
Having said that the majority of tennis players are carrying chronic injuries. Perhaps on MW we stress about Andy too much?   Think
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #143 on: September 14, 2013, 08:29 AM »

I think by saying it should be a mandatory event, he hopes it would be easier to find time in the schedule for it, or that they could gain points by doing it, instead of taking part in a random 250 event. 

The problem is that players can gain points for doing it, but only if their team does well, which makes it more worth-while for players who are part of a strong team, who are already benefiting from the added glory.

I've got to agree with the damned if he does, damned if he doesn't vibe.  If he plays, and sets back an injured back, he could impact his performance over the coming months.  If he doesn't play in order to protect his back, then plays well, it would be seen as an excuse for someone who doesn't want to do his bit to support his country/team/tennis development.

I imagine Andy is acutely aware that all eyes are on him right now, and following Wimbledon, the British tennis infrastructure is trying to capitalise, and his presence in the Davis Cup team is a great advert for tennis not just being about the very elite.

I also think that chasing ranking points and big trophies is all very well, but Andy's got two slams and an Olympic gold in the trophy cabinet.  Tennis geeks on tennis websites might see him very differently with an extra couple of slams, but when Andy's reminiscing about his playing career in the old folks home, he'll have happy memories of that time he played doubles with Colin in Canada, and hopefully happy memories of that time helped the British team gain promotion to the World Group.

They got to the play-offs without him, so he's not been propping them up all year.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #144 on: September 14, 2013, 08:39 AM »

I think playing in a team is good for andy otherwise tennis playing singles all the time is very lonely arguing to yourself all the time, why did I do that shot then and so on. andy will play the doubles but I only hope it does not reck his chance with dodig the match may hinge on that match. we cannot rely on evans we should be able too but I fear not. andy will do what is the best for the team
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #145 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49 AM »

nah I think his reaction to the mic problem was way too quick to put on a calculated laugh.

I also remember the 2011 Asian swing interviews, mainly because I'd never heard him laugh out loud like that before. He appeared pretty genuine to me.

Thanks for reminding me of those interviews Linda. I remember watching them so well
 I love Andy.  wub

They dont make'em more genuine than that. hug

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #146 on: September 14, 2013, 10:07 AM »

Best of luck to the doubles team today, whatever the pairing

cmon GB
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #147 on: September 14, 2013, 11:48 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed watching these interviews again. Definitely a refreshing change from the usual dumb questions!

Am mixed about this one. Personally can't get excited about the Davis Cup, but can see that it's the only chance you get to get a "team" feel in tennis. Also, when it's held in this country it's very inspirational for kids. As Andy now says it should be mandatory, he must feel strongly about it. Clearly, now Lloyd is out of the way, he loves it.
Also, as someone mentioned,  no time to brood over US loss.
The only downside is if his back has been adversely effected.
Having said that the majority of tennis players are carrying chronic injuries. Perhaps on MW we stress about Andy too much?   Think
Good point BBH.  Andy has said himself that all players have niggles they have to cope with, only (apart from 'the knees' and more recently Fed's back) we never hear what they are, so do their fans or media know about them?  I think Andy's problem really became high profile when he was forced to pull out of RG and has been the focus of general attention ever since, not helped by reports of conferences and discussions as to whether he's fit to play in a match or not.  I mean, how long does it take for a player to decide what level of pain he's in and what the chances are of aggravating the problem when he's had to cope with it for years?

I also think that the Davis Cup, perhaps under another name - since the current Rules state that each country is obliged to put forward it's best players - should be played, but that the higher ranked players should not be expected to participate.  A bit of competitive teamwork would be good for younger and lower-ranked players.

I think playing in a team is good for andy otherwise tennis playing singles all the time is very lonely arguing to yourself all the time, why did I do that shot then and so on. andy will play the doubles but I only hope it does not reck his chance with dodig the match may hinge on that match. we cannot rely on evans we should be able too but I fear not. andy will do what is the best for the team
Andy should do what is best for himself, but that remains to be seen.  However if his back was troubling him in the first math (and a 57 shot rally is ridiculous when he should be trying to make the points shorter to save wear and tear on it) then how is it going to hold up against Dodig in a match which could go to four or five sets? 

[ Last edit by Aileen September 14, 2013, 12:03 PM ] IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #148 on: September 14, 2013, 12:20 PM »

if you have ever played team sport andy will not be thinking of himself. he will go out and do his upmost he is a professional player . his country is important to him. he make not think about himself that is all I am saying
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #149 on: September 14, 2013, 12:28 PM »

Best of luck to the doubles team today, whatever the pairing

cmon GB
I don't know how up to date the LTA website is, but it shows Andy as playing in the doubles at 1 o'clock and then first on tomorrow at 10 o'clock UK time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »