Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB

(Read 15065 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #570 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48 PM »

I have to laugh when commentators claim that Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool are in the North of England. God help the people who do live in the North of England. If I was them I'd be wanting to join Scotland and declare Independence. Anywhere north of the Watford Gap is classed as the North of England.

Manchester and Liverpool *are* in the North of England. Manchester to the border: 110 miles. Manchester to the South Coast: 193 miles.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #571 on: September 15, 2013, 08:55 PM »

The NEC - great motorway connection

Been to a Davis cup tie a few years back at nec.  (Tim and Greg era) was a great atmosphere
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #572 on: September 15, 2013, 09:41 PM »

^ It was indeed.  I remember watching it on the Beeb, who I hope will once again televise our WG ties.

I spoke to a lot of Scottish people in my time in Edinburgh, and the common consensus is that they think Scotland will remain as part of GB. 
yes  But they're going to have to get up off their asses and vote for it.  Complacency is a dangerous thing, and Alex Salmond knows it.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #573 on: September 16, 2013, 12:25 AM »

It's great to see GB back in the world group. If Andy is fit and happy to play Davis Cup then great. I don't think it's easy to just say the next home tie should be in Scotland/England/Wales. Getting a 'big' venue available for 3 straight days might be problematic. I admit it was great to have so many ties in Glasgow. I do think a part of that selection was to encourage Andy to play. A home tie in Scotland is quite a pull. However, it is the GB squad and fans across the country should get a chance to see the team. The only thing I will say is that pre-Andy we didn't have home ties held in Scotland. There was obviously traveling support but Scots did turn out in Glasgow to support team GB in the E&A zones. I would hate to see the home ties return to England just because we're back in the elite group.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #574 on: September 16, 2013, 01:06 AM »

Braehead is the only suitable venue in Scotland for DC ties, but would it be big enough to hold the number of spectators who would turn up for a WG match?  The seating capacity is 5,200 whereas the NEC in Birmingham is 14,000.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #575 on: September 16, 2013, 01:20 AM »

What about Aileen's back garden?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #576 on: September 16, 2013, 02:07 AM »

If only ... lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #577 on: September 16, 2013, 02:15 AM »

Phew!  For a moment there, I thought I was being reclassed as a southerner! fainting
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #578 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06 AM »

What about the new hydro that's due to open in September? Wonder if that would be suitable for tennis  Think or the secc could be freed up once hydro opens. Both big venues.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #579 on: September 16, 2013, 08:15 AM »

hydro?

IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #580 on: September 16, 2013, 08:27 AM »

hydro?

It's a new concert venue in Glasgow, next to the SECC.  It's not quite ready yet, opens in a couple fo weeks I think.  I have no idea if it is suitable for Tennis, but I suspect that it would need more notice to be available over a three day weekend.

From the website:

The SSE Hydro is due to open in 2013 and will play host to national and international music mega stars as well as global entertainment and sporting events.

With a seating capacity of 12,000 The SSE Hydro will augment the SECC’s existing facilities, and will play host to around 140 events every year. The SSE Hydro will attract an audience of one million visitors each year, which positions it as the fifth busiest entertainment arena in the world, alongside iconic venues like Madison Square Garden and The O2 arena. From its opening in 2013, The SSE Hydro has the potential to inject an additional £131 million annually into the local economy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #581 on: September 16, 2013, 08:33 AM »

The NEC - great motorway connection

Yep! Smile.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #582 on: September 16, 2013, 02:16 PM »

It's a new concert venue in Glasgow, next to the SECC.  It's not quite ready yet, opens in a couple fo weeks I think.  I have no idea if it is suitable for Tennis, but I suspect that it would need more notice to be available over a three day weekend.

From the website:

The SSE Hydro is due to open in 2013 and will play host to national and international music mega stars as well as global entertainment and sporting events.

With a seating capacity of 12,000 The SSE Hydro will augment the SECC’s existing facilities, and will play host to around 140 events every year. The SSE Hydro will attract an audience of one million visitors each year, which positions it as the fifth busiest entertainment arena in the world, alongside iconic venues like Madison Square Garden and The O2 arena. From its opening in 2013, The SSE Hydro has the potential to inject an additional £131 million annually into the local economy.
Thanks mickeypops.  I must admit the first I ever heard about it was when part of the roof caught fire a few weeks back but which fortunately doesn't seem to have delayed the Hydro's opening.  Reading more about it though, it sounds pretty impressive, although the external architectural design might not be to everyone's taste!

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #583 on: September 16, 2013, 02:27 PM »

The opening better not be delayed! I'm going to see Rod Stewart in it first week it opens   lol
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #584 on: September 16, 2013, 02:40 PM »

The opening better not be delayed! I'm going to see Rod Stewart in it first week it opens   lol

Your taste in music surprises me! lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »