Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB

(Read 15026 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #615 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24 PM »

Is that you suggesting you are silly whether or not Andy is playing? Whistle

No, I'm not silly, I'm an objective, unbiased tennis analyst.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #616 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04 PM »

backtotopic   Well, sort of!

On another subject, I see that Marin Cilic is banned for 9 months for inadvertantly taking a glucose derivitive. A team member bought Coramine glucose tablets at a pharmacy, it states:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24116444

They have to be so careful, dont they? One little slip and you're out for a long time.
As Scottish skier Alain Baxter found to his cost when he was stripped of his bronze medal after testing positive for a banned substance at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.  His crime? - He bought a Vick's inhaler to help a cold while he was there, not realising that the US inhaler contained a substance not present in the British version. He did receive a ban as well but this was later overturned on appeal, although the IOC refused to give him back his medal.  The really sad thing here though was that Baxter won Britain's first Olympic medal on snow for 78 years.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 16, 2013, 11:09 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #617 on: September 16, 2013, 11:29 PM »

On another subject, I see that Marin Cilic is banned for 9 months for inadvertantly taking a glucose derivitive. A team member bought Coramine glucose tablets at a pharmacy, it states:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24116444

They have to be so careful, dont they? One little slip and you're out for a long time.

The thing I find odd about Cilic's ban is how different it is to Victor Troicki's. Troicki didn't take anything, at least that we know of, he missed a blood test. Cilic did take something, admittedly not deliberately to enhance performance, but he did take something, and he is only banned for 9 months, which has been back-dated to May, so he'll be playing again at the end of January. It just seems weird to me that the ban is so diffferent for the two.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #618 on: September 16, 2013, 11:40 PM »

The thing I find odd about Cilic's ban is how different it is to Victor Troicki's. Troicki didn't take anything, at least that we know of, he missed a blood test. Cilic did take something, admittedly not deliberately to enhance performance, but he did take something, and he is only banned for 9 months, which has been back-dated to May, so he'll be playing again at the end of January. It just seems weird to me that the ban is so diffferent for the two.

But it didn't enhance his performance?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #619 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26 AM »

But it didn't enhance his performance?

No, that's what I'm saying. I realise he didn't use it as a PED, but he still took something. Troicki didn't take anything at all and his ban is more severe. It just doesn't make sense to me.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #620 on: September 17, 2013, 06:26 AM »

No, that's what I'm saying. I realise he didn't use it as a PED, but he still took something. Troicki didn't take anything at all and his ban is more severe. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Once again I agree wholeheartedly, TJ.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #621 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04 AM »

Troicki didn't take anything at all and his ban is more severe. It just doesn't make sense to me.
We don't know that.  He deliberately refused to give a blood sample when required that may or may not have been clean.  It's perfectly plausible that he was trying to cover-up deliberate doping, knowing that if he managed to delay the test, the offending substances would be out of his system, or he could take something to ensure that happened, or at the very least he could speak to an expert to check when he'd test clean. 

His ban is already reduced from the maximum 24 months, and any further reduction is just going to encourage deliberate dopers to make excuses to refuse tests, knowing that they'll get a shorter ban and better PR.

Cilic's ban seems a bit short, even if you believe it was accidental.  The Baxter case was sad, but that was years ago and there's no excuse for someone like Cilic to make that kind of mistake these days.  It's so much easier to check these things now, and all professional athletes should know to check.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #622 on: September 17, 2013, 07:44 AM »

There's a parallel with drink driving rules.   Refusing to take a breathalyser or to give a blood or urine sample when required, carries the same penalties as being tested positive.  It takes just a moment's thought to appreciate that this MUST be the case, or the prevention system would fail completely.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #623 on: September 17, 2013, 08:05 AM »

Ermmm...... confused this isn't back on topic! (Doping thread)  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #624 on: September 17, 2013, 08:43 AM »

We don't know that.  He deliberately refused to give a blood sample when required that may or may not have been clean.  It's perfectly plausible that he was trying to cover-up deliberate doping, knowing that if he managed to delay the test, the offending substances would be out of his system, or he could take something to ensure that happened, or at the very least he could speak to an expert to check when he'd test clean. 

His ban is already reduced from the maximum 24 months, and any further reduction is just going to encourage deliberate dopers to make excuses to refuse tests, knowing that they'll get a shorter ban and better PR.

Cilic's ban seems a bit short, even if you believe it was accidental.  The Baxter case was sad, but that was years ago and there's no excuse for someone like Cilic to make that kind of mistake these days.  It's so much easier to check these things now, and all professional athletes should know to check.

I suppose when you put Troicki's case like that I can see why his ban would make sense, but it does make Cilic's ban look very lenient because how can he prove he wasn't aware of what he was taking? As you say, he appears to have made a mistake, but these days there's no excuse really for an athlete to make a mistake like that.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #625 on: September 17, 2013, 08:55 AM »

Ermmm...... confused this isn't back on topic! (Doping thread)  Rolling Eyes
Eh.....well before all this gets moved Angie, I just want to say I'm a huuuge Rod Stewart fan too! Got all his old LPs, but sadly......nothing to play them on these days! Maybe I'll be able to get them on CD now! I never did get to see him live, but I once saw a stripper dressed up as him and dancing to his songs on a girlie night out!  w00t Don't suppose that counts though!  lmao
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #626 on: September 17, 2013, 09:14 AM »

Eh.....well before all this gets moved Angie, I just want to say I'm a huuuge Rod Stewart fan too! Got all his old LPs, but sadly......nothing to play them on these days! Maybe I'll be able to get them on CD now! I never did get to see him live, but I once saw a stripper dressed up as him and dancing to his songs on a girlie night out!  w00t Don't suppose that counts though!  lmao

Lol no the stripper doesn't count Caz Wink yeah get your hubby to treat you to a pile of rods CDs for Xmas.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #627 on: September 17, 2013, 10:24 AM »

Lol no the stripper doesn't count Caz Wink yeah get your hubby to treat you to a pile of rods CDs for Xmas.
He had all the right moves though.......plus a few others!  Whistle
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #628 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33 AM »

Anyone know what time the draw takes place tomorrow? Fingers crossed for a home tie   pray
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup : Croatia vs GB « Reply #629 on: September 17, 2013, 05:07 PM »

Anyone know what time the draw takes place tomorrow? Fingers crossed for a home tie   pray
It'll take place in London at 11am BST and will be streamed live on http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/157860.aspx

As for the venue -

The draw will reveal whether Murray and company will play a home tie in February, which would probably entail a match against Argentina, France, the Czech Republic.

Should they find themselves facing one of Spain, Serbia or the USA, the last meeting with all these countries was staged in the UK – and therefore the next one must be overseas.

The other two potential opponents are Kazakhstan and Canada; in both cases, the venue would be decided by a coin toss.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/10315564/Davis-Cup-world-group-draw-awaits-Great-Britain-for-the-first-time-in-five-years.html
[ Last edit by Aileen September 17, 2013, 05:17 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »