Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 3. - 14 (73.7%)
Murray in 4. - 5 (26.3%)
Murray in 5. - 0 (0%)
Querrey in 3. - 0 (0%)
Querrey in 4. - 0 (0%)
Querrey in 5. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 7th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Down Reply
Author

DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber)

(Read 4184 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #465 on: February 03, 2014, 08:34 AM »

Previous win GB over US on US soil was 111 years ago.

That's incredible, thanks Apollo.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #466 on: February 03, 2014, 08:35 AM »

@Prod
Would be terrific if you could. Looking at the sunshine in San Diego was very sorry I wasn't there!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #467 on: February 03, 2014, 08:56 AM »

I was interested to hear  the Comms commenting on Djokovic's reason for not playing in the DC, exhaustion .....I wonder if this was caused by listening to Boris, and how great he was etc,etc. Whistle shocking
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #468 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58 AM »

From what they were saying yesterday it could be Fognini who could be trouble on the clay. I could see where they were coming from too.

The general consensus appeared to be that the tie would be tough, but it would be winnable. They made a point of saying the doubles could be important.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #469 on: February 03, 2014, 09:05 AM »

I was interested to hear  the Comms commenting on Djokovic's reason for not playing in the DC, exhaustion .....I wonder if this was caused by listening to Boris, and how great he was etc,etc. Whistle shocking

Yes!

Seriously though, exhaustion after one tournament? I know Australia was very hot, and it was a major, but Djokovic has played one tournament this year. How can a very fit player with no injuries be exhausted so early in the season?

Don't misunderstand me, Djokovic is as free as anyone else to pull out of DC. I know he has played for Serbia very frequently. However, I still don't think you need to guess very hard to work out that the issue is Troicki. It stands out a mile.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #470 on: February 03, 2014, 09:34 AM »

Great to see Andy playing so well on clay (apart from v minor blip). Some truly genius moments.  Augurs really well for clay season. And well done to him and also James Ward.  Doesn't this merit a news item?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #471 on: February 03, 2014, 06:32 PM »

Seriously though, exhaustion after one tournament? I know Australia was very hot, and it was a major, but Djokovic has played one tournament this year. How can a very fit player with no injuries be exhausted so early in the season?

Don't misunderstand me, Djokovic is as free as anyone else to pull out of DC. I know he has played for Serbia very frequently. However, I still don't think you need to guess very hard to work out that the issue is Troicki. It stands out a mile.
I don't swallow the mental and physical exhaustion thing either.  Djoko has long been known for his rapid powers of recovery even after tough five setters well into the season.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #472 on: February 03, 2014, 07:05 PM »

Don't you think perhaps Nole couldn't face playing Stan again so soon after AO?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #473 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25 PM »

Don't you think perhaps Nole couldn't face playing Stan again so soon after AO?

I don't know, but usually he seems to be the sort, like Andy, who would be keen to put the record straight quickly.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #474 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22 PM »

yes but don't you get the feeling that he wasn't confident he'd do so?  That said I'm not sure when he took the decision not to play.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #475 on: February 03, 2014, 09:08 PM »

yes but don't you get the feeling that he wasn't confident he'd do so?  That said I'm not sure when he took the decision not to play.

Well to be honest I've thought for a while that Djokovic was losing some confidence generally in the slams, not just against Stan. I just feel he'd have been keen to send Stan a signal after the AO, but it was also obvious a while ago how fuming he was over the Troicki situation.

Whatever the reason, unless Djokovic is either ill or injured in some way, and of course he could be, I don't buy the argument that he's exhausted after one tournament.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #476 on: February 03, 2014, 09:52 PM »

^^ Djoko played a lot of matches (83) last year, including winning all his 7 Davis Cup matches. After losing to Nadal in the US Open final in Sept he went on a 24 match winning streak, all but one against top 40 players.

He played 2 matches in the DC Semi Final against Canada a few days after the USO Final. Then he won Beijing (but lost No 1 ranking), Shanghai, Paris, WTF, and 2 more DC matches in the Final v Czech Rep.

Then a couple of exho matches v Nadal in South America  (not sure who won those!) marking the retirement of Nalbandian and Massu, which looked fun, but kept him busy until late November.   

I can quite understand him wanting/needing a break from DC this year (even without the Tipsy and Troicki situations) - and I'm fairly sure he took that decision before Stan's win in Australia. And, as someone said, being with Boris must have been tiring!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #477 on: February 03, 2014, 09:56 PM »

Whatever, it seems that Djokovic has other matters on his mind right now - http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/04/djokovic-marry-fiancee-soon
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #478 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40 AM »

Remember the days we couldn't even get near the World Group, feels amazing to be in the quarter finals. And Italy should be beatable shouldn't they surely? At the very least you'd expect Andy to win his 2 matches. Can we win the doubles or one of the other singles? Who would it be - Seppi and Fognini I guess?
Andy's far from guaranteed to win both his ties. Seppi is a very solid clay courter and Fognini is a different animal on that surface, if his mind is in the right place. If Andy isn't near his best (and he's often inconsistent on this surface) he could very well struggle.

This one could really go either way.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA): Murray vs Querrey (4th Rubber) « Reply #479 on: February 05, 2014, 12:08 PM »

Fognini is favourite on clay, even against 100% Andy. He is very good on the surface and won titles back to back on the clay last year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »