Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA):Inglot/Fleming vs. Bryan/Bryan (3rd Rubber) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

DC 2014 World Group R1 (GBR vs. USA):Inglot/Fleming vs. Bryan/Bryan (3rd Rubber)

(Read 593 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Yesterday, Team Great Britain took an unlikely 2-0 lead over the United States team, after James Ward beat Sam Querrey unexpectedly in five tight sets, after coming back from a 4-2 deficit in the fourth set. Into Day 2 of the tie and the Brits are sure to be feeling confident about their chances of making the quarter-finals of the Davis Cup for the first time since 1997. To do so, all they have to do is win the doubles rubber to make a clean sweep of the tie at 3-0, with no chance of the Americans coming back. In the doubles it is Dom Inglot and Colin Fleming against the No. 1 doubles team in the world the Bryan brothers. The Bryan brothers have won 15 Grand Slam titles, and at least 1 at all four majors, making them one of the all time greats of the doubles game. Such stats should not go ignored, and it is clear that Inglot and Fleming are not coming into this rubber as favourites, nor expected to win.
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray February 01, 2014, 06:28 PM ] IP Logged
eeyorebob
Futures Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

True, but the Bryans are not unbeatable - they were knocked out in the AO and in 2012 were beaten at wimbly too.  I have no idea how they are on clay.

I hope whoever GB team up with Colin put up a good fight but if it is Andy then I hope he doesnt do himself any harm.

Go GB
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Would make much more sense for Dom Inglot to play leaving Andy fresh to finish Querrey off on Sunday.  From his answer to question from Russell Fuller ie that the decision would partly depend on what happened in the 2nd match, got the impression he wouldn't play if Ward won.  If it's not really necessary then I don't think there should be any pressure on Andy to play 3 days in a row even if the first match was a doddle.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Futures Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Agree, but then you know what Andy is like and if he is fit he will want to play.  I guess we'll find out soon
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

I agree Ruthie - even if Andy plays the doubles, the Bryans would still be favourites to win.  I'd rest Andy, and make sure he's well rested and ready to give Querrey a quick three-set tennis lesson  tomorrow.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Do we know for sure it's Andy and Colin?

I think I'm right in saying that the Bryan's have won RG, so it's right that Colin and whoever it is will go in as underdogs in a way. I'm not sure that is a bad thing though. Maybe it will free them up to play very well and get it done.

You never know with the Bryan's, but if they are below par I can see Andy and Colin, if we assume Andy will play, being able to capitalise. I don't think Andy and Colin should be taken lightly at all. The Bryan's are under more pressure really. They'd be expected to win today in a way. They will also know that a loss would end the tie in real terms, so it seems to me as if they have more on their backs than Andy and Colin.

I wouldn't like to call it, but I do think the Brits have a chance.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Nothing is wrong with Andy's back, he had no trouble yesterday, I fail to see how today or tomorrow would be any different. End of.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Gangsta no one is saying there is anything wrong with Andy's back. He is still recovering from surgery though, so I can understand people, particularly fans, being concerned. Whether those concerns are valid in terms of Andy's physical state is another thing, but people are entitled to have concerns.

I can still see it both ways in terms of Andy playing the dubs. I suppose it comes down to what is best for the team, but also how Andy feels physically. If he feels all right I feel pretty sure he'd want to play today and I'm not sure if Leon would tell him he can't, unless Leon truly believed that playing today would put Andy at risk of not being right to bury Querrey tomorrow.

I'm going to trust Andy and Leon. As much as Andy wants to win, I can't see him being silly about it if there is any doubt. I also can't see Leon forcing Andy to play if there is any question of putting him at a silly risk. If Andy is selected I'm going to believe he is fit to play today and tomorrow.

The one thing to remember is that dubs isn't quite as demanding physically as singles.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes  4m
The GB team to play @DavisCup doubles will be announced in two hours. I can tell you they've picked two players but no more... I know what it is so any hint would give the game away. You'll have to wait.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

I suppose there are 2 things to consider here. If Andy does play today there is the chance they could win and go 3-0 up making tomorrow irrelevant.

So either take a chance on that happening so Andy can have tomorrow off, or rely on him beating Querrey tomorrow.

The urge is there now that we're 2-0 up, i assume plan A was to expect us to be level now and Andy would have played all 3 days, but with Ward winning they now have options.

I personally would keep Murray fresh for Sunday and let Inglot get some experience.

[ Last edit by The Gnome February 01, 2014, 05:17 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

British Tennis ‏@BritishTennis
DC Captain Leon Smith has announced that @dominglot and @colin_fleming will star in today's upcoming doubles match. C'mon boys!!! #USAvGB
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Dom Inglot play.  I've never seen him on court, and it's refreshing to have a wee look at someone new.  The good thing is that he hopefully won't feel under too much pressure, and will just be able to go out there and enjoy it.  Best of luck team GB.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Nothing is wrong with Andy's back, he had no trouble yesterday, I fail to see how today or tomorrow would be any different. End of.
Andy is still in the process of rehabbing.  He was wearing a vest under his shirt yesterday as the weather was cool and damp, so obviously there's still some sensitivity there, which is only to be expected at this stage in his recovery.  Also he may have beaten Querrey in their last three meetings, but nothing should be left to chance.

Anyway if GB win the doubles, Andy and James will only have to play best of three in the dead rubbers, which will still be good match practice for him.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 01, 2014, 07:17 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

good decision to put dom inglot in and if anyone on MW doesn't understand why Andy needs to be careful with his back still they've not been concentrating   Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

How can you possibly know? End of Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »