Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Berrer in 2
Berrer in 3
The pair decide to forego the match and listen to the "Tales of the Arabian Nights" instead

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Reply
Author

Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer

(Read 3389 times)
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #180 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27 PM »

Gasquet retired today with illness, which is something he rarely does   So maybe something's going around. Get better Andy.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #181 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31 PM »

Andy on in the sun again.  I wonder how it is that Smugfed always gets to set his own schedule?  I know he's a great crowd puller but it happens over and over again.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #182 on: February 28, 2012, 07:49 PM »

This comes on at 1am my time. That's pretty late for me considering that I will have to wake up in a few hours again.

This may actually go to the third set taking a couple of things into account.

For some reason I thought this match was the first up. Anyway, am not too surprised by result. This was Andy’s first match after a long time so he was bound to be a bit out of shape matchwise; plus, Berrer already has the experience playing Andy twice in the past and knowing Andy’s post AO history/slum mentality might have encouraged him to play his highest level who knows. He did push Andy but Andy still came through.

Pete used to be very sluggish in matches like this one. There were times it caused him dearly albeit in small tournaments. I think they both (Andy and Pete) prefer a better challenge against better players. No disrespect just the fact that Andy is most likely to win under any circumstances against these sorts of players. On the other hand, the likes of Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, love to show off from the very first point. Just different mentality/approach I suppose.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #183 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56 PM »

Thought Andy looked a bit out of sorts today. But apparently some bug going around I think Tsonga had been ill too. He had to work hard to win today but got there in the end. Hope he is feeling better tomorrow through to the next round anyway which is good.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #184 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Andy on in the sun again.  I wonder how it is that Smugfed always gets to set his own schedule?  I know he's a great crowd puller but it happens over and over again.
Yep Alis always the same!!! Hope he goes out tomorrow .  pray
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #185 on: February 28, 2012, 09:03 PM »

Never again will I open a thread for one of Andy's matches and say that his opponent shouldn't give him any trouble ... Whistle
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #186 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28 PM »

Never again will I open a thread for one of Andy's matches and say that his opponent shouldn't give him any trouble ... Whistle

aaah - so it's all your fault!  Think
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #187 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01 PM »

roflmao now we no why he struggled!!
IP Logged
NDMS
Junior

You can do it, Andy!

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #188 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Just watched the replay.

I don't mind that he goes to a third set especially in a first round.

But allowing the decider to go to 4-4 and serving second was pretty risky.  

Anyway, he did it!

I always like watching Berrer just for the nothing-to-lose can-do attitude.   The commies mentioned that he skipped AO because his wife had a baby.
[ Last edit by NDMS February 28, 2012, 10:38 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #189 on: February 29, 2012, 12:40 AM »

aaah - so it's all your fault!  Think
roflmao now we no why he struggled!!
Embarassed

IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #190 on: February 29, 2012, 03:02 AM »

Rewatching today's match and Andy had to work hard to win the first set. They showed Andy on the bench and he held up his hand to show blisters. I can't imagine that being too pleasant to play with.

Berrer continued to play aggressive in the second set, but Murray looked tired and kept leaning over like he was stretching. But he hit some really good returns it's too bad he lost the second. unfortunately there were too many unforced errors. Andy didn't scream or yell but you could tell he was beating up on himself. Berrer used his backhand to punish Andy.

Third set to begin with a break only to not consolidate and give the break back had to frustrate Andy even more. Then to break again and get two double faults and get broken again, most players would've given up but Andy kept trying. The commas were maddening saying that his play was pathetic and clumsy for the world #4. There was obviously something bothering Andy. Shaking his head back and forth you just wonder how he did it, but finally he began to take charge running Berrer back and forth. Plus the serve got a little better. Finally Murray breaks making it 5-4, now can Murray hold and win this match?  He hit a beautiful cross court and shook his fist. And Berrer hit long and phew he gets through. Sometimes you just have to win ugly. But it's a win!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #191 on: February 29, 2012, 03:50 AM »

^^ Thanks for that, Apollo.  Much appreciated as I saw so little of the match.  What concerns me though is the blisters.  I don't think I've ever seen Andy do this, so, that, plus the tiredness and the stretching (yes I did see that) begs the question - did he in fact play too much tennis with Lendl.  Being coached for several hours a day for 11 days solid sounds like pretty exhausting stuff, and I'll bet he'd been practising a lot since his arrival in Dubai.  I'm hoping Lendl doesn't turn out to be more of a curse than a blessing because Andy's such a hard worker and wants to win a Slam so desperately that he'll be only too happy to fall in with this, and therefore, unfortunately, the whole thing could end up being counter-productive.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Dubai 500: R1: Murray vs Berrer « Reply #192 on: February 29, 2012, 06:59 AM »

Even though Andy was obviously not feeling great, his first serve percentage was much better than usual or did I read that wrongly?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »