Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Dubai F: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 Go Down Reply
Author

Dubai F: Murray vs Federer

(Read 5800 times)
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #555 on: March 03, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Glad that Andy can be philosophical so soon after the loss and look forward to US stretch. Still would be interested to know why he thought his bh went awol and seemed so flat.
So would I Ruthie - a different Andy came to play than yesterday I feel.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #556 on: March 03, 2012, 07:28 PM »

Yes, usually he's really up for Federer confused It may be something physical of course, that always effects his game....obviously  doh
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #557 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Well, congratulations to both of you too. I think you derserve some positive feedback now, since your postings are not as provocative as previously.

The best player obviously won.

Federer is not a better player than Andy Murray. He just believes he is and that is the difference between them. Andy was nowhere near his best today and was still right in the match. Also Federer had evening matches throughout which meant he was used to the conditions. The crowd seemed to be bothering Andy too shouting at crucial points. On a level playing field I would always back our man to beat Smugfed - Braehead perhaps?!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #558 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Elena at 7.21 - thanks for the sick bag warning.  Certainly needed it.  Oh that needling 'I'm sure some were also singing Andy's name' ie there may have been a few sad brits out there but I'm the one.......

And the smug smile on his face at the end was just too horrible.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #559 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Sick bags ready?
Both players produced some sensational tennis that had the packed stadium screaming in delight, and the outcome was in the balance right to the end.

"Yeah, I mean, coming out to the Mexican Wave going on, then chanting when I held for 4-4, with the crowd singing my name," said the 2012 Dubai champion, Federer. "Obviously I'm sure also some were singing Andy's name, but to hear my name resonate throughout the stadium was great."

"I tell you, it gives you goose bumps. It's great motivation to play well. That's why I played so well this week, and particularly in the final. Does give you a lift and that belief to keep going for your shot, and then the risk pays off."

"For me to win the tournament and win so often now is a beautiful thing. It's definitely got a special place in my heart, this tournament here."..................
Murray was naturally disappointed at the outcome, but acknowledged that he had enjoyed a great week.

"I think in the second set he played better than me," said Murray. "For sure I made a few too many mistakes in the second, and he was playing a lot more aggressive than in the first set. It was a good win yesterday, good win the day before, tough match today, so I'm happy with the week."

"The atmosphere was fantastic. I think most of the crowd wanted Roger to win but it’s not often you get the chance to play in a packed stadium."
http://www.dubaidutyfreetennischampionships.com/News/Tennis/2012/ATP-Tournament/Saturday-Federer-Wins-Fifth-Dubai-Crown.aspx

It sure makes you throw up, that sort of talk. He is such a pompous, self-loving, smarmy person.
He could do with a course at a Swiss finishing school to teach him manners and humility.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #560 on: March 03, 2012, 08:00 PM »

Federer is not a better player than Andy Murray. He just believes he is and that is the difference between them. Andy was nowhere near his best today and was still right in the match. Also Federer had evening matches throughout which meant he was used to the conditions. The crowd seemed to be bothering Andy too shouting at crucial points. On a level playing field I would always back our man to beat Smugfed - Braehead perhaps?!
MT, the best player (on the day) won the match. Thus Andy was not as you say at his best. However much we love and support Andy - through thick and thin, RF is several years and many accomplishments in front of many players, including Andy.

Conditions are not often equal for all players, sometimes they fall in favour of one or another. I'm sure Andy wont look for excuses.

As you say, Andy certainly did feel the crowd was with RF but I heard people shouting Andy too. Roger has of course a huge world wide following.

His chance will come again. Smile
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #561 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14 PM »

Andy's game is improving. He can play brilliantly ...  but sometimes he doesn't  ... 
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #562 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19 PM »

It sure makes you throw up, that sort of talk. He is such a pompous, self-loving, smarmy person.
He could do with a course at a Swiss finishing school to teach him manners and humility.
And would you believe there's more - on the ATP website "It's great. There is no substitute to confidence," declared Federer. "I've played great....etc etc

OK, he played better than Andy today (or even AK, he played .. etc)

Was this the on court interview?
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #563 on: March 03, 2012, 09:38 PM »

MT, the best player (on the day) won the match. Thus Andy was not as you say at his best. However much we love and support Andy - through thick and thin, RF is several years and many accomplishments in front of many players, including Andy.

Conditions are not often equal for all players, sometimes they fall in favour of one or another. I'm sure Andy wont look for excuses.

As you say, Andy certainly did feel the crowd was with RF but I heard people shouting Andy too. Roger has of course a huge world wide following.

What you say is true of course but what I think is that Andy has more skill, more shots and more talent in his locker than any of them and I have heard and read some very experienced coaches and commentators saying the same. One day this will be proven.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #564 on: March 03, 2012, 10:19 PM »

I think we need to be careful about always blaming the scheduling. Yes, there are times when it is ridiculous. Times when Fed is playing round 2 before Andy has played round 1.

At the start of this week the later matches were given to Del Potro, LLodra, and Tsonga who were still playing in Marseille on Sunday. The pattern sort of continued. In some ways it was probably good that Andy got his matches out of the way early most days. He apparently doesn't mind the heat. It's true Andy hadn't played a night match before, but if he had people would probably be complaining he'd had less time to recover before the next match.

Fed was the first to beat Djoko last year, but couldn't follow up in the final. Same for Andy this time (though in one of those hardly worth noticing 500 tournaments). Stuff for them all to work on.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #565 on: March 03, 2012, 10:42 PM »

Having overcome initial disappointment, I'm totally cool with this. The overall week was good. IMO RF is trading on his legacy and getting the edge that way, but his stock is declining . His lack of grace in victory will only accelerate that, but I read it as a sign that he knows time is against him.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #566 on: March 03, 2012, 10:54 PM »

quote author=MT link=topic=20777.msg709238#msg709238 date=1330803563]
 Federer is not a better player than Andy Murray. He just believes he is and that is the difference between them.
[/quote]

Actually, I don't think Fed was confident at the beginning of the match MT and if Andy had broken when he threatened to in the first set we would have seen a very different match.  Realising that Andy wasn't playing at his best allowed Fed to become more confident but he's always wary of playing Andy and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #567 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38 PM »

I had to leave while the pres-king was speaking and did not hear the interviews.  I may go and listen to Andy but will not listen to fed now that I have read the garbage.

It's too bad that Andy did not have a night match this week, just so he could have known how the ball would bounce etc, but oh well, good players adapt. Seemed like almost every ball roger touched was golden whereas many balls Andy hit went into the net. But life is like that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, things don't work. I am sure Ivan was watching and will give our Andy some sound advice. Changes I've seen in Andy:  clean shaven, nice haircut, no screaming at th his box, no foul words coming out of his mouth, and better more confident tennis. I still think he needs to come in to the net more, he plays terrific at the net!!  And I would like to see his serve more of a weapon, something to rely on in those love forty games, but serve isn't everything.  I once saw Sampras hit 34 aces in a match and lose because nothing else was working. Forgive me for mentioning Pete from time to time but I've watched him play closely since he was 18, and Andy is every bit as good except in the serving area.

I really love Andy and want only the best for him, today was just an off day.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #568 on: March 04, 2012, 12:02 AM »

The service stats are fascinating. Andy was 48% 1st serves in, Fed 50%. Many of us would think it should be easy to get serves in, given years of practice, and the world nos 3 & 4 should do way better than this. But obviously conditions vary - mental and physical.

I also love Andy, and hope he'll find a way through, but it won't be easy.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Dubai F: Murray vs Federer « Reply #569 on: March 04, 2012, 12:27 AM »

If anybody is interested, Hutchins and Fleming are playing their Delray Beach doubles Semi right now on ESPN UK.

Not a good performance with his backhand against Federer compared to the Semi final.  Very unusual for that to breakdown.  Only the third defeat in a non Slam final since the start of 2008. Nadal 2009 Indian Well sand Querrey LA 2010
[ Last edit by Geo March 04, 2012, 12:40 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »