Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Favourite Andy Match 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Favourite Andy Match

(Read 1715 times)
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Favourite Andy Match « on: March 16, 2012, 09:07 PM »

After watching an old Andy match from 2006 while being rained out at work I was wondering what Murray match is the favourite of the MW followers.

Mine is the Australian Open match in 2007 against Rafa. Even though he lost this is the way I have always felt he should play as he was aggressive at the right times and moved like a gazelle...

In my opinion if he had never suffered the wrist injury in 2007 I feel he would have had that GS by now.

IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24 PM »

Hard to say. I don't know why you would choose 07 when he beat him convincingly in 10 at the same event.

I always loved the way he knocked Fed out of Shanghai in 08 even though he was already qualified for the semi-finals. That felt sweet.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:30 PM »

USO semi vs Rafa 08. Never forget Rafa hanging his head like a dead dog near the end.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:31 PM »

It has to be USopen 2008 semifinal against Rafa Smile  AO 2010 semi against Rafa was also really good as well
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:48 PM »

Hard to say. I don't know why you would choose 07 when he beat him convincingly in 10 at the same event.

I always loved the way he knocked Fed out of Shanghai in 08 even though he was already qualified for the semi-finals. That felt sweet.

For me the patterns of the rally are a thing of beauty as Murray toyed with Rafa not through hitting flat like in 08 but by demonstrating his range of delicate wizardry until unleashing his final blow.
In this match is the forehand Andy should have had in 08-2011.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:57 PM »

My favourite is 2 months before the USO 08 against Nadal.  It's the Match that I think really launched Murray as a contender for the Slams.  Having failed to win a 4th round at a Slam before, a clash with the previous years Semi Finalist and a winner of grass court titles, a big effort would have to be put in to defeat Richard Gasquet.

2 sets down and Gasquet serving for the match, I thought here we go again in a last 16 tie. Murray was able to turn it all around with the help of a centre court crowd that was going mental after a Murray backhand winner from a Gasquet Smash from way out of court on set point in the third set tie breaker.  A shot that No Andy Murray fan will forget in a hurry. 
[ Last edit by Geo March 16, 2012, 10:09 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:00 PM »

My favourite is 2 months before the USO 08 against Nadal.  It's the Match that I think really launched Murray as a contender for the Slams.  Having failed to win a 4th round at a Slam before, a clash with the previous years Semi Finalist and a winner of grass court titles, a big effort would have to be put in to defeat Richard Gasquet.

2 sets down and Gasquet serving for the match, I thought here we go again in a last 16 tie. Murray was able to turn it all around with the help of a centre court crowd that was going mental after a Murray backhand winner from a Gasquet Smash from way out of court on set point in the third set tie breaker.  A shot that No Andy Murray fan will forget in a hurray. 

It changed his career. yes

Wawrinka match at Wimbledon 09 was a peach, too.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05 PM »

It changed his career. yes

Wawrinka match at Wimbledon 09 was a peach, too.

In the last 2 years the 4th round Monday has been a litle bit boring compared to 08 and 09.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11 PM »

Defo Gasquet at Wimbledon 08, can remember when he went two sets down, nearlr switched it off but stuck with it, what a match, you could almost feel the atmosphere through the TV!!!   After that would be the effort Andy put in to beating Fed in Shanghai, Fed was desperate not to lose but could do nothing to prevent it. 
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13 PM »

I remember the Federer fans getting very noisy as he came back in the second set to force a tiebreak and I started chanting sit down shut up sit down shut up as Murray took that set. I wasn't in Shanghai, just watching it on TV.
[ Last edit by Geo March 16, 2012, 10:21 PM ] IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 03:14 PM »

My memory is terrible.  I always look forward to the next match because I struggle to remember what's gone on in the past.  All the big matches blend into one in my mind.  I'm the same with football.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45 PM »

For the sheer beauty of the tennis without palpitations for those watching I'd say the match against Roddick last year at Queens.  But then like TD I have a terrible memory and earlier games tend to blend into each other.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Like Ruthie, for a game without palpitations, against Rafa last Autumn. T'was a beat down Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:50 PM »

I agree with you Ruthie the game at Queen's against Roddick was a great game. Andy (M) was in great form and moved like poetry in motion. It just shows what a great tennis player Andy is. Perhaps people making comments on another post in the forum should have a look at that match before they make some of the bad comments about him. They tend to forget the good times and only comment on the bad times.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Favourite Andy Match « Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22 PM »

I think my favourite match would have to be the Gasquet one - the way the whole crowd got behind Andy in that 3rd set was fantastic to watch. So much atmosphere.

That would be closely followed by the Rafa match at USO2008. Nobody was expecting Andy to win that one, so to get his first victory over Rafa in a slam was really special. The level of tennis Andy played that day was such high quality too.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »