Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  FO QF : Murray v Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who progresses to the semis?
Andy in 3 - 8 (17.8%)
Andy in 4 - 17 (37.8%)
Andy in 5 - 13 (28.9%)
David in 3 - 3 (6.7%)
David in 4 - 2 (4.4%)
David in 5 - 2 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 58 Go Down Reply
Author

FO QF : Murray v Ferrer

(Read 10576 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « on: June 04, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Toughie.

Who is going to seal their passage through to a semi-final slaughter by Rafael Nadal?

I think Murray can win this, but he'll have to execute a very aggressive gameplan.

Bev, do your magic please.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:11 PM »

Ferrer in 3, dont see what Murray has to hurt the Spaniard on Clay and Ferrer has looked incredible all tournament he will give Rafa a great match in the semis.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:15 PM »

Ferrer in 3, dont see what Murray has to hurt the Spaniard on Clay and Ferrer has looked incredible all tournament he will give Rafa a great match in the semis.

No he won't, he'll get bitchslapped by Rafa were they to meet.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:19 PM »

This one could go the distance - Andy is going to throw everything at him as the definite underdog, and with his tennis IQ supported by Ivans know-how who knows?  I'm hopeful, anyway
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:32 PM »

Could be the usual mammoth grind, but hoping to see more of the incredible smorgasbord of tricks Andy had on full display today.. maybe he can confuse the wee demented scurrier.

IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:36 PM »

I'm not sure I get this "Andy is the underdog" stuff at all.  I;ve read a lot about Ferrer being great on clay, but his record doesn't seem particularly special.

I'm not sure as well that I understand this "Andy can't play on clay" stuff either.  He played bloody well on clay today, bar the first set.  In fact he played magnificently.  Don't forget he made the semis here last year, and he's going to do the same this year.  If he plays like he did finsihing off Gasquet today, he need fear no-one, not even the King himself.

Wouldn't it be just like Andy to win his maiden grand slam in the event where he's supposed to have no chance?

Well. I can dream anyway!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42 PM »

Toughie.

Who is going to seal their passage through to a semi-final slaughter by Rafael Nadal?

I think Murray can win this, but he'll have to execute a very aggressive gameplan.

Bev, do your magic please.

goodjob  Will sort at lunch time Very Happy
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42 PM »

If Andy keeps it all together,I do believe he could take this from Ferrer,from my lips to Gods ear.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50 PM »

I'm going on holiday to Majorca on Friday.  What kind of a coincidence would it be for Andy v. Rafa to be the semi-final on Friday?  Would I dare carry a Union Jack and a Saltire to a sports bar for the match?

Damned right I would!

Just three matches from the elusive maiden grand slam.  I can still dream!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:57 PM »

Why would you want a Union Jack, mickey?  Too close to the Euros, pal, you might be mistaken for an Anglophile!!:no:
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03 PM »

I'm not sure I get this "Andy is the underdog" stuff at all.  I;ve read a lot about Ferrer being great on clay, but his record doesn't seem particularly special.

Correct. In his last 11 attempts at Rolland Garros the best Ferrer has done is reach the quarterfinals. He's done that 3 times now. I think Andy has a stronger record here, certainly in the last 5 years. Andy has a semi-final and 2 quarter-final appearances to his name.

Ferrer is Nadal-lite. He's even more one dimensional though and has nowhere near the power of Nadal.

Another point being made is the courts here are playing more and more like hard courts. Ideally we probably want the courts dry and hot for wednesday. I think its to get warmer but showers are forecast for wednesday. I'll still take Andy to win in 3.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07 PM »

Why would you want a Union Jack, mickey?  Too close to the Euros, pal, you might be mistaken for an Anglophile!!:no:

Ah yes - the footie!

I'd be happy enough for a Scotsman to take the French on Sunday, and for England to take the French on Monday!
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Very interesting match.

Ferrer has never been past the QF at Roland Garros, Andy in 4 for me. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Ferrer hasn't even won a Masters on clay. The best he's done is to reach 2 Masters finals over his whole career. So while its correct to say he's a good clay court player  he's a definetly level below the big 3. The myth that Ferrer is a great clay courter is probably because he wins a lot of tournaments in South America that none of the big boys play in.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31 PM »

Who done away with the match poll?  Your standards are slipping, Mark.  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 58 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »