Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  FO QF : Murray v Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who progresses to the semis?
Andy in 3 - 8 (17.8%)
Andy in 4 - 17 (37.8%)
Andy in 5 - 13 (28.9%)
David in 3 - 3 (6.7%)
David in 4 - 2 (4.4%)
David in 5 - 2 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 58 Go Down Reply
Author

FO QF : Murray v Ferrer

(Read 10949 times)
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Now, I'm  not a betting man, honest.  A tenner on the Grand National once a year, that's my lot.

I had a quick look online to see the latest odds, and to check out what the bookies reckon.  They've actually got Ferrer as favourite to beat Andy, which doesn't add up to me.  Never mind, the bookies usually know best.

Then I looked at the odds to win the tournament outright.  Rafa is favourite, whcih is fair enough.  Andy is 40-1.

What?  40-1?  Now, I appreciate that Andy's chances of winning the tournament aren't great, but they've got to be better than 40 -1, surely?  Hell, Nadal could have an off day and lose his QF - it happens.  Or he could get injured.  Same for Djoko and Federer.   Or Andy could play like he played for the final two sets tonight and be capable of taking on anyone....

40-1??  Hell, I'm tempted to take a small punt on that..........
[ Last edit by mickeypops June 04, 2012, 10:43 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:03 AM »

Lots of people saying Andy in 3 - admire your optimism, folks!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 01:28 AM »

Andy leads the H2H, just.  David leads the wins on clay 3-0 but Andy leads their Grand Slam meetings 1-0.

As Andrew says, a toughie as David Ferrer is a work-horse fitted with Duracell batteries - goes on and on and on.

I watched part of the match vs Granollers and that was an error strewn match from Granollers but my comms did say that David is vunerable when he has to come in to the net not on his terms.

We shall see.

Back to the wall stuff but who knows.  I'm guessing the organisers put Andy on 1st, so he doesn't have time to warm up Whistle

* Murray vs Ferrer.JPG (121.78 KB, 672x963 - viewed 113 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 01:32 AM »

Their most recent meetings.  Can't see anything on clay atm search

WTF RR

Shanghai final

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 01:40 AM »

Oh. I voted for Ferrer when there were just two options, now it's changed and my vote has counted toward Andy in 4.

Also, was it really necessary to pin this?
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 06:32 AM »

If something is certain, then that is the facz that Ferrer is going to serve well and he ain't going to give Andy cheap points from his errors. Andy is going  need to earn them and in the best case he's gonna win in a long physical demanding match.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 06:47 AM »

Maresmo pointed out  that Andy has the variety in his game to give Rafa a better challenge than Ferrer. She was the only "expert" backing Andy against David.
If Andy plays like he did against Richard in sets 3 and 4, of course he can win. I'm hopeful, but wont be disappointed if he doesn't because.....
that forehand has started to rock and I'm very excited about the coming months.
 yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 08:19 AM »

If you love the most poetic journalist for miles, read this
http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/06/pictures-from-a-cold-island.html
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33 AM »

If you love the most poetic journalist for miles, read this
http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/06/pictures-from-a-cold-island.html
t

Thanks BBH, that's a really interesting article.  I didn't get the impression from the TV yesterday evening that the French crowd were booing Gasquet eventually - anyone else think so?
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36 AM »

Maresmo pointed out  that Andy has the variety in his game to give Rafa a better challenge than Ferrer. She was the only "expert" backing Andy against David.

I'm pretty sure I heard the British Eurosport co-commentor plump for Andy to beat Ferrer.  It may have been MacMillan, but I'm not sure.
[ Last edit by mickeypops June 05, 2012, 09:42 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 09:51 AM »

I doubt macmillan would plump for Andy as he's always pretty grudging in any praise for him and even managed to get in a dig about Andy not having much DC experience [I watched the match of the day last night otherwise have given up on eurotrash].
ITV comms said Andy better at closing out matches than the terrior so to win I guess it would need to go the distance.  I certainly think Andy can beat him but he's got to be playing the kind of tennis he was in last 2 sets yesterday and he can't afford to go walkabout for a set like yesterday.  I'll vote with my heart I think and also on the basis that it might help Andy that he's not the favourite to win.  It could also depend very much on the conditions as the comms were saying yesterday that the Spaniards deal with bad conditions on clay better than other players just because they are so used to playing on clay.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25 AM »

I'm going for Andy in straight sets.  Let face Ferrer is not a shot maker  he's a grinder.  Doesn't really have any big weapons.  Andy is better at everything than Ferrer, Serve  Backhand  the Fh might be questionable.  can someone tell me  like a real expert tennis fan  as to why clay is different from other surfaces.  I know that sounds like a stupid question but I just want to know.. other than  its slower?   Also  Ferrer hasn't faced Andy on clay for a very long time.  Ferrer doesn't scare me.. what scares me is Rafa.  cmonandy
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 June 05, 2012, 10:36 AM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 10:33 AM »

I'm making a safe bet and going for Andy in 5, as not knowing the weather conditions, and if damp affecting his back.  cmonandy  cmon yeah
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47 AM »

I'm going for Andy in straight sets.  Let face Ferrer is not a shot maker  he's a grinder.  Doesn't really have any big weapons.  Andy is better at everything than Ferrer, Serve  Backhand  the Fh might be questionable.  can someone tell me  like a real expert tennis fan  as to why clay is different from other surfaces.  I know that sounds like a stupid question but I just want to know.. other than  its slower?   Also  Ferrer hasn't faced Andy on clay for a very long time.  Ferrer doesn't scare me.. what scares me is Rafa.  cmonandy

It's the movement required on clay more than anything else that makes it so different especially for guys that have no played on it growing up! On a hard court you can anticipate then move on clay you can't overcommit because it's tough to change direction with the sliding that's required to move well on clay!

Sampras made the semis here once an admitted movement was his biggest issue on clay he could hit the ball great serve was still a weapon but the concept of sliding on a clay court was to alien for him to ever feel comfortable, hope that helps.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49 AM »

It's the movement required on clay more than anything else that makes it so different especially for guys that have no played on it growing up! On a hard court you can anticipate then move on clay you can't overcommit because it's tough to change direction with the sliding that's required to move well on clay!

Sampras made the semis here once an admitted movement was his biggest issue on clay he could hit the ball great serve was still a weapon but the concept of sliding on a clay court was to alien for him to ever feel comfortable, hope that helps.

thanks  Smile that explains a lot
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 58 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »