Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  FO QF : Murray v Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who progresses to the semis?
Andy in 3 - 8 (17.8%)
Andy in 4 - 17 (37.8%)
Andy in 5 - 13 (28.9%)
David in 3 - 3 (6.7%)
David in 4 - 2 (4.4%)
David in 5 - 2 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 Go Down Reply
Author

FO QF : Murray v Ferrer

(Read 12477 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #825 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53 PM »

Am I the only person who thinks Andy is quite capable of working things out for himself without the help of Lendl - a man currently more familiar with the golf course than the 21st century sport of tennis?

Granted, the man experienced similar psychological effects of major losses before coming through but his style of tennis was different to Andy's natural game (I'm open to correction btw) and I'm not sure what he can add in terms of technicalities and game plans.

According to Courier, Lendl spends most of his on court practise with Andy, working on his forehand which we all know must be improved if he is to win a slam.
I think we've seen improvements in that area already. Also, Andy is being more aggressive, hence huge UE error count.
His game is clearly in transition and until he feels totally confident with this FDL, I'm expecting more UEs per match. He has to be more aggressive, Rafa and Fed have both improved in that area. No gain without pain.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #826 on: June 07, 2012, 01:55 PM »

Can someone tell me how many ranking points Andy loses?  I keep forgetting from one GS to the next I'm afraid. 

Andy's official ATP points at the moment is 7500.

On Monday he'll lose last year's RG (720) and Queens (250), but gain 360 for this year's RG, and I think Barcelona (90) will be counted again.

So he should end up with 6980 (I think, but as always, could be wrong). At start of Queen's last year he had 6625.

Withdrawals so far from Queen's: Fish, Gasquet, Harrison, Wawrinka, Young
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #827 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59 PM »

Thanks Nigel and Elena.  Well really hope smugfed loses tomorrow then.  And encouraging that Andy has slightly more points this year than last despite not getting to AO final or RG sf.  It shows how much he lost out last year because of his post-AO slump.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #828 on: June 07, 2012, 02:06 PM »

Just heard on TV that Andy is considering withdrawing from Queens. He will be discussing it with his team. He feels that he has to improve his fitness. We will have to wait and see.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #829 on: June 07, 2012, 02:11 PM »

The impression I got from the interview on bbc website llb was that he hadn't thought about withdrawing from queens but will be discussing it with his team probably today.  He pointed out he'd done very well at queens usually and this had led to good Wimby results and he likes playing there.  Has he said something different more recently? Not sure that improving fitness and playing Queens are incompatible whereas if he felt he had to rest the back tht would be different.  So unless the back is playing up I'd have thought he will play.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #830 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Agree Ruthie, anyway match practise on grass is surely what he really needs?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #831 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16 PM »

Hope he does play - it's always great to watch him play on grass. A lot of the players struggle with the movement but Andy just glides around a grass court.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #832 on: June 07, 2012, 02:23 PM »

Nole lost to Meltzer in the quarters at the French in 2010 and went on to win the next 4 out of 8 Majors.

Many had written Nole off in those days and see how wrong they were then. This only means that you can't always predict the future based on what happens today, because one's will can change all that.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #833 on: June 07, 2012, 02:25 PM »

no I was following someones twitter account   omg  I was in tears  hahaha  btw  if you did listen  he did actually say that  lol

That's hilarious given the circumstances. lol. Who did he say that to? Dani? I would have thought he's the closest of them all but I could be wrong.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #834 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27 PM »

Many had written Nole off in those days and see how wrong they were then. This only means that you can't always predict the future based on what happens today, because one's will can change all that.

Its true, people have short memories, almost everyone outside of Serbia thought Novak was a one slam wonder who would slide down the rankings soon enough. If it can happen for him then Andy has a chance.
To me he is the more more skilled player.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #835 on: June 07, 2012, 02:28 PM »

Once again......it's not the tennis, it's stuff like this (from Ben Rothenberg, New York Times)

ESPN montage of players talking Wimbledon, its history. Federer then talks about all the history "he's" had at Wimbledon. Hmm.

Federer will be history in time too and his records will be shattered by someone else in the future as well. Nothing is permanent in this World.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #836 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34 PM »

I really am fed up with all the Andy bashing....

Yes he lost today but it's not the worst Grand Slam performance and how many people where begging him to pull out of the bloody tournament anyhoo?.

Unfortunately, that sublime match vs Gasquet had given fans a lot of hope just prior hence the disappointment all over again. Because Andy's a superior player, a loss to Ferrer even on clay doesn't give a lot of fans a lot of hope, but they only need to detach themselves from that. Some positive results in the future will change all that.

Btw, I've downloaded the match just last night and will watch it this weekend. Can't wait! One question though, would I be able to use your account going forward or do I need to open a separate account?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #837 on: June 07, 2012, 02:37 PM »

That's hilarious given the circumstances. lol. Who did he say that to? Dani? I would have thought he's the closest of them all but I could be wrong.

No it was a parody  acc/  he said it to one of the spectators in the crowd  lol
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #838 on: June 07, 2012, 02:44 PM »

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/06/french-open-andy-murray

When the courtside microphone picked up his heartfelt ode to a lost cause at the start of the fourth set – "I've tried my tits off!" – two sets to one down and having just dropped serve for the fifth time after a break, it was hard not to feel for him.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO QF : Murray v Ferrer « Reply #839 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45 PM »

No it was a parody  acc/  he said it to one of the spectators in the crowd  lol

OMG - it's even more hilarious! Oh Andy...lolol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »