Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Down Reply
Author

FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen

(Read 10557 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #435 on: May 31, 2012, 06:21 PM »

MM I'm afraid there will always be those who question Andy's mental and physical fortitude including, unfortunately, some members of this forum.  But he showed he still has the will to win against the odds.  I just hope that he's right and that it won't have had any longer term adverse effect on his back. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #436 on: May 31, 2012, 06:49 PM »

Good posting!

Could not agree more, anyone that questions his mental fortitude should watch a re-run of this match, the phrase Braveheart is so true, some of the shots he made today were breath taking and world class.  When the chips were down his Scottish spirit rose to the top.  Whatever happens next is irrelevant he has shown he has the balls of a real champion.

Well said, MM, I was thinking all through that match if he comes through this no-one should ever question his will-to-win again. EWhether it was the right call physically on his part remains to be seen, but mentally it has to have been good.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #437 on: May 31, 2012, 07:12 PM »

He was great, shows great courage and mental fitness when he gas a problem. well done. he will not give up;
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #438 on: May 31, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Have just read the reports on Yahoo re. Wade and Rudeski's coments on Andy if they are true then they should be removed from Eurosport, they are reported as saying that Andy should give up tennis and take up acting as a career. That is disgusting, Eursport need to take a look at ITV and their coverage quality.

This is from the man that lost his only offing in a grand slam final as he was upset by the death of Diana and had a cold Rolling Eyes  And shame on Virginia naughty
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #439 on: May 31, 2012, 07:25 PM »

Murray has been troubled by an ongoing back problem that saw him pull out of the Masters Series event in Madrid earlier this month, but he insisted this was not the same injury.

"It's a completely different thing to what I had beforehand," he said. "If it was the same, then I would be really, really concerned about Wimbledon and obviously the Olympics.

"But so long as what I'm getting told by doctors and the physios is, if it is just a muscle spasm, then that's nothing to be overly concerned by.

"But they are, when they happen, very difficult to shake off, especially when it's early morning. It takes a bit of time for your body to warm up.

"But I'm not doing any permanent damage by finishing a match like I did today."

Well that's good to hear but maybe Annabel, Greg and Virginia have a more expert opinion to offer.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #440 on: May 31, 2012, 07:36 PM »

Jonathan Overend BBC tennis correspondent

"I've sat through some confusingly dramatic Murray matches over the years, but this one just about tops the lot. The self-belief which enabled him to turn a lost match around was nothing short of amazing. In the very first game he looked a beaten man, slapping returns like he had no chance, and when he starting patting serves into the court, Nieminen wasn't alone in expecting a handshake. But Murray is not a quitter. Even though he could barely move, he somehow still believed he could win. He knew that Nieminen would start choking, which he did, he knew that skill would win the day, which it did. But the pained expression returned near the end to suggest we haven't heard the last of the problem. For the time being, let's just celebrate the win. An amazingly gutsy effort. ."

Yes, lets. cmonandy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #441 on: May 31, 2012, 07:47 PM »

Did Lendl really advise Andy to retire after the 1st set?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #442 on: May 31, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Jonathan Overend BBC tennis correspondent

"I've sat through some confusingly dramatic Murray matches over the years, but this one just about tops the lot. The self-belief which enabled him to turn a lost match around was nothing short of amazing. In the very first game he looked a beaten man, slapping returns like he had no chance, and when he starting patting serves into the court, Nieminen wasn't alone in expecting a handshake. But Murray is not a quitter. Even though he could barely move, he somehow still believed he could win. He knew that Nieminen would start choking, which he did, he knew that skill would win the day, which it did. But the pained expression returned near the end to suggest we haven't heard the last of the problem. For the time being, let's just celebrate the win. An amazingly gutsy effort. ."
Long live Jonathan!  I love that man, he's so fair-minded.

I expect Andy was still in pain by the end of the match.  Muscle spasms don't just vanish without leaving an after-effect.  Fortunately he has a day's rest before he's due to play again, but whether physio plus medication will have calmed things down sufficiently by then remains to be seen.  Heavy rain is forecast for the next day or two, so that might knock the scheduling out a bit and work to Andy's advantage.  I really hope he withdraws though.  Clay is just bad news for him at the moment.

I just heard it said that his team were encouraging him to pull out, but whether there's any truth in that we probably won't find out.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 31, 2012, 08:16 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #443 on: May 31, 2012, 08:18 PM »

Andy said in his interview that he had discussed with his team about pulling out when he had been warming up in the morning with the back problem.  He also said his team were telling him to pull out at the end of the first set.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #444 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20 PM »

This is from the man that lost his only offing in a grand slam final as he was upset by the death of Diana and had a cold Rolling Eyes  And shame on Virginia naughty

Wade is every bit as bad as the other two - I haven't yet forgiven her for saying last year that Andy's ankle injury was psychosomatic!  Their negativity absolutly defies belief - if it had been Djoko, Rafa or Fed out there playing through the pain barrier they would have been on their knees in tribute.  Something very odd about their pysche!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #445 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25 PM »

Virginia Wade is another tool.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #446 on: May 31, 2012, 08:32 PM »

Andy said in his interview that he had discussed with his team about pulling out when he had been warming up in the morning with the back problem.  He also said his team were telling him to pull out at the end of the first set.
Thanks MM.  I'd forgotten the last bit.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #447 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39 PM »

Andy said in his on court interview that his team were telling him to retire, whether that included Lendl we dont know.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #448 on: May 31, 2012, 08:41 PM »

I live in Cyprus and to hear from you guys that Wade said that Andy should go into acting is disgusting. she and greg should loose their jobs where is their loyalty. Disgusting.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: FO R2: Murray vs Nieminen « Reply #449 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/31/andy-murray-french-open-back?newsfeed=true

Don't know if this link will work or not have not figured out how to do this on IPad (bloody thing!!) but this is an excellent article and shames Wade.  If it does not work could someone else paste while I throw this IPad out the window?? 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »