Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet

(Read 8988 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57 PM »

I fear it could go the distance again ie a full 5 sets.  Just hope Andy is fit enough to deal with it and come through playing the kind of tennis he played against Giraldo (geared as appropriate to Gasquet).  I'm going to be a complete bag of nerves tomorrow.
Hadn't thought about the extra pressure on Gasquet if Tsonga goes out but I don't think he will as it took Wawrinka time to loosen up today and he won't have that time tomorrow.  As I like Tsonga and don't like Wrawinka (after the way he acted in that match against Andy when he beat him at USO) I can't really wish him out even if it might advantage Andy.  Actually I think the pressure on Gasquet from the French crowd will be pretty intense whatever happens to Tsonga but according to Maresmo he's learning to deal with it better unfortunately.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Andy's match against Gasket in Rome was pretty weird. I thought Andy completely outplayed him in the 1st set and I couldn't see Andy not winning that match. Andy had a huge number of break points over about 3 games and eventually took about the 15th one! Then Gasket broke back soon after with almost his 1st. Andy won the tie-breaker easily then lost his 1st service game and he just seemed to fold from thereon. Andy needs to concentrate at all times. If he wins the 1st set he needs to make sure he's completely switched on for the start of the next set.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 01:15 AM »

Here we go again.  For the fourth time on a Monday at one of the European Slams it's Murray v Gasquet.  This is the Return leg of the Wimbledon Match last year.  Hopefully it will be the same as that match and a straight set victory for Andy as the 2008 and 2010 matches were the same set score, 3-2.
IP Logged
underenthused

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08 AM »

How do you predict this one? Will the back hold, what is the issue with the spasms can he concentrate? On form he's the better player but all year he's been confusing if you are trying to figure out where his game is. Just like every other tournament it will be fun to watch but dangerous to get your hopes up, glad he is still playing regardless of the VW comments, imagine if he had withdrawn, then he would have been a quitter.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16 AM »

So hard to know which session to DVR.  Good Luck Andy, stay focused and run Gasquet crazy.  Let your racquet do the talking Andy and may the force be with you!!! nervous cmonandy Bagpipes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 06:08 AM »

If Andy is 100% fit, he'll win but of course we don't know how fit he is.
I just hope it's not another 5 set victory, followed by a another potentially  horrible 5 set grind against Ferrer, then we all know what a match against Rafa would be like...
As Courier said, Andy's draw is "monstrous."
So actually, I'm hoping for a quick win against Crashquet, followed by a quick exit against Ferrer, followed by a magnificent, injury free grass and hard court season.  
Come on Andy  yay
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20 AM »

I fear it could go the distance again ie a full 5 sets.  Just hope Andy is fit enough to deal with it and come through playing the kind of tennis he played against Giraldo (geared as appropriate to Gasquet).  I'm going to be a complete bag of nerves tomorrow.
Hadn't thought about the extra pressure on Gasquet if Tsonga goes out but I don't think he will as it took Wawrinka time to loosen up today and he won't have that time tomorrow.  As I like Tsonga and don't like Wrawinka (after the way he acted in that match against Andy when he beat him at USO) I can't really wish him out even if it might advantage Andy.  Actually I think the pressure on Gasquet from the French crowd will be pretty intense whatever happens to Tsonga but according to Maresmo he's learning to deal with it better unfortunately.
Tsonga is one of my favourites and I was so disgusted with Wawrinka's gamesmanship [which I see as cheating] last night, that I've decided ro remove some of the letters from his name. From now on in my house, he'll be known as 'Wanka', and I hope big Jo beats the c**p out of him today!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20 AM »

Well.. missed all the fun and games with being incommunicado with camping. So happy Andy is thru to face Gasquet.
I'm feeling he has the measure of his back issue, and the measure of his opponent.
Allez Andy!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53 AM »

I do agree it will be a hard match, but  Andy is a much better player than Gasket, so as long as his back is ok he will come through, Maresmo said Aszareka had a goog chance of taking the title and looked what happened to her. I do feel for Andy re crowd it will be distracting but he is used to it.  nervous
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 08:55 AM »

Tsonga is one of my favourites and I was so disgusted with Wawrinka's gamesmanship [which I see as cheating] last night, that I've decided ro remove some of the letters from his name. From now on in my house, he'll be known as 'Wanka', and I hope big Jo beats the c**p out of him today!  cmon yeah
Brilillant.  roflmao
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Aggressivness is the key. Kill him with your forehand, Andy!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 09:08 AM »

Nice one Caz.
I don't think having the crowd against him fazes Andy.  He'll expect it.  Remember when they booed him when he was playing an injured Simon and was drop-shotting him.  He might even thrive on the atmosphere in same way he came out fighting after Virginia Creeper's hurtful comments.  I'm more concerned about the weather.  If it's cool and damp it will be bad for his back and he tends to come unstuck at RG in such conditions.  Let's hope the morning showers disperse and it warms up for the afternoon and also that the match isn't too delayed so that it goes into a cool evening. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 09:39 AM »

Jeez. Thanks to all the posters reminding us to worry about Andy's back. It looked absolutely fine against Giraldo, and Andy looks happy, but obviously Andy's fans can't stop worrying about it. I hope Andy has a bit more mental fortitude than some of you lot. Otherwise he'd have quit this tournament by now.
IP Logged
Psmannie

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42 AM »

It's going to be tight, there are so many factors.  The weather isn't in Andy's  favour and the crowd will be against him.  BUT if he can get in the right frame of mind and use the crowds negative responses as an incentive to fight then I know he can do it. His serve is crucial! Come on Andy yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 11:02 AM »

On ITV this morning Petch thought the conditions might in fact favour Andy as Gasquet won't be able to use his skill as a shot maker so easily.  Hope he's right. 
And as for concerns about the back you clearly have never suffered from back problems bignose. They don't simply disappear and a good day playing in the warmth does not necessariliy mean he won't have problems on a cool, damp day + we know there is an underlying condition, which has been troubling him since December.  Being concerned does not = lack of mental fortitude and you can be sure the other Andy (Ireland) will have been working hard on the back since the last match.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »