Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 Go Down Reply
Author

FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet

(Read 9843 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #540 on: June 04, 2012, 07:29 PM »

I've been training and playing a tennis match from 1pm till 6pm and just got back to see Andy dismantling Gasquet in the 4th set. Andy hit 27+ FH winners - wow.

Even though I only saw the last set, Andy had that similar look about him when he beat Nadal at USO 08 SF.

I played awful today but was thrilled that Andy didn't!

Yep, beat Richard hands down on forehand winners.  Not sure what backhand ones were.  Possible deduction on winners I guess lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #541 on: June 04, 2012, 07:33 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen Andy play as well as he has done in these last two sets, unless it was when he took out Nadal 6-0 in that final set last Autumn.

Magnficent; utterly magnificent.  It's when I see play like this from Andy, that my belief in his GS prospects is reinvigorated.  Not that I have ever doubted.......
I agree completely.

I just wish we'd see more of the Murray from the latter two sets than we do of the Murray from the 2nd set (I hope we never see the Murray from the 1st set again). Utter aggression, domination, incredible touch. Almost every shot imagineable today, and barely missed a single one in those last two sets. Countless drop shots, lobs, return winners. Good amount of aces, passing shots, down the line winners (like the last shot to win the match).

That Andy we saw out there in the last two sets is capable of beating anyone. Unfortunately that Andy doesn't appear all that often, and it takes a lot of confidence or for him to get really fired up to find that form. All too often he'll start poorly or lose concentration.

The ability has always been there. The consistency has always been his elephant. Maybe one day he'll finally perform like that when it really counts and win that oh so elusive Grand Slam.

Anyway, after Berdych's loss to DelPo earlier this has been a great day. Even if Andy loses to Ferrer on Wednesday (and tbh despite today I'm not that hopeful that he'll win - Ferrer has been magnificent these last 10 days), the fears that Berdych will take giant steps in the rankings have been nullified. Berdych will pick up 180, Andy will, worst case, lose 360, so the gap will still be over 2400. Ferrer and Tsonga may close the gap but long-term I don't see either of them troubling Andy, ranking-wise.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #542 on: June 04, 2012, 07:35 PM »

Enjoyed that match! Always like Andy's reaction to a hostile crowd. Smile

Gasquet fans must be so frustrated by his mental collapses - he's so talented but yet can't keep it all together during a match. But credit to Andy again for hanging in there when he was being outplayed and then turning the tables - brilliant play from him in the last two sets. I really think he's got a good chance against Ferrer.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #543 on: June 04, 2012, 07:36 PM »

What was the final score of the Nieminen match? I noticed this right after the Andy match but went to have tea. It was either completely identical or at least very similar. Bizarre.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #544 on: June 04, 2012, 07:36 PM »

Enjoyed that match! Always like Andy's reaction to a hostile crowd. Smile

Gasquet fans must be so frustrated by his mental collapses - he's so talented but yet can't keep it all together during a match. But credit to Andy again for hanging in there when he was being outplayed and then turning the tables - brilliant play from him in the last two sets. I really think he's got a good chance against Ferrer.
So who will you be supporting on Wednesday then? Wink
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #545 on: June 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »

hostile crowd. Smile

Crowd? What crowd? Are the French actually interested in tennis?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #546 on: June 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Andy 59 winners to Richards 31.

Oh, got the overall match stats for you.

Right, breakfast done and dusted and time to get ready for work Crying or Very sad

* Match stats 1.jpg (105.08 KB, 538x544 - viewed 235 times.)
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #547 on: June 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Proud of Murray tonight. Stayed composed and played some lovely stuff at the end.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #548 on: June 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Ferrer hasn't been tested yet. Andy is more match hardened and I think he'll beat Ferrer in 3. Andy is a different player in a Grand Slam event. As long as Andy serves well he will win. He has too much variety in his game.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #549 on: June 04, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Andy.......You kicked his ass good and proper. I'm soooo proud of you son ! hug
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #550 on: June 04, 2012, 07:47 PM »

Ferrer hasn't been tested yet. Andy is more match hardened and I think he'll beat Ferrer in 3. Andy is a different player in a Grand Slam event. As long as Andy serves well he will win. He has too much variety in his game.

THIS!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ its easy to underestimate Ferrer in any competition  but Andy is the far better player  even if it is clay
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #551 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen Andy play as well as he has done in these last two sets, unless it was when he took out Nadal 6-0 in that final set last Autumn.

Magnficent; utterly magnificent.  It's when I see play like this from Andy, that my belief in his GS prospects is reinvigorated.  Not that I have ever doubted.......

Murray played adequately against a very tired out of sorts 22 in the world, please get a grip. To be honest I saw nothing that would worry Ferrer who routinely thrashes him on clay - and the bookies agree keeping him a rank outsider at 38/1 , same price as before the tournament!
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #552 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49 PM »

What a game. Andy played superbly in complete control. it was just lovely  game to watch.

I actually think Lendl is coming into his own with Andy. I t is lovely to see. The next will be with ferrer, a difficult customer so who knows. andy will do it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #553 on: June 04, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Murray played adequately against a very tired out of sorts 22 in the world, please get a grip. To be honest I saw nothing that would worry Ferrer who routinely thrashes him on clay - and the bookies agree keeping him a rank outsider at 38/1 , same price as before the tournament!
roflmao

Get out.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: FO R4 : Murray v Gasquet « Reply #554 on: June 04, 2012, 07:57 PM »

Don't like the French crowd at all. They are the most obnoxious ones. If it's possible, then this should motivate Andy and he should kick Gasquet's arse real good and real hard in front of the crowd.  

Well, he almost did kick his arse in front of the crowd, didn’t he?

This sluggish 1st set start is really getting notorious but if he is to lose a set in a match like this, then I guess it doesn't matter at which point he loses.

I predicted (along with a few others perhaps; Katie, for example, if I remember correctly) a 4 sets win and that’s how it was. I don’t think against a more solid player, you can’t really predict a straight set victory. Maybe against a lower ranked player like Giraldo the other day.

I also don’t think it will be easy at all against Ferrer. He’s in superb form and may feel mentally a bit ahead of Andy on clay, but still, you can never write off a player like Andy on any surface and especially in a GS. I give this a 50/50.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean June 04, 2012, 08:10 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »