Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Somdev Devvarman, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY!

(Read 6141 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 12:45 AM »

I think your speculations could be spot on TJ.  He's probably suffering from a bit of post-op shock as well.  All of which is why I'm glad he's being kept in for 2/3 days.  Also it looks to me like he's in a private ward in an NHS hospital as opposed to being in a totally private one.  Doesn't look luxurious enough to be one of those.  So, as I said already, Bristol perhaps?

I think any surgery takes a lot out of a person and is a bit of a shock. I can't really speak for Andy, but I can for myself and no matter how many surgeries I had there was always an element of anxiety about it, mainly about the anaesthetic for me because it used to make me so unwell. The thing is, the anxiety is tiring as well, so that on top of the anaesthetic and pain meds, it all adds up.

Andy's room does look like a private NHS room rather than a private room in the strict sense. I'm glad he's not on a ward, not that I thought he would be. Wards are notorious places for patients to become sleep deprived. You would be amazed how noisy hospitals are at night.

I'm still chuckling over Andy's words when he came round! That's so typical! Mind you, I bet he hopes no one on the tour ever sees that hospital gown, bless him. They are hideous things to wear and drafty in all sorts of places!

I think it's so thoughtful of Andy to let us know how he is. I honestly didn't expect to hear anything for a few days, so it was a surprise. He must be feeling a bit rubbish tonight, what with everything, so his thoughtfulness is a credit to him.

I'm just so glad for Andy that the surgery is over now. Fingers crossed it was a success and he'll be fighting fit and raring to go when the time is right.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42 AM »

TJ - I do know exactly how noisy hospitals are at night!  All sorts of machines constantly beeping, patients being admitted, nurses chatting at the nurses station (this never happened in the days when Sisters ran the big open wards and made sure the nurses regularly went round checking on patients at night as well as during the day), the phone ringing at said stations, patients buzzing for attention (usually ignored until they've buzzed at least half a dozen times), and the last time I was in hospital I was 'woken up' - joke!  I hadn't been able to sleep! - at 3am and told I was being moved to another ward. Rolling Eyes  I then had to wait at least 30 minutes until a porter turned up.

Andy may not have the luxurious comfort of a private hospital but at least he should get peace, although looking at the equipment I think he's been attached to a monitor of some kind which might or might not beep.  Hopefully though, he'll be feeling so dopey and tired that he will nod off for a few hours - and I sincerely hope that, unlike patients in normal wards, he doesn't get woken up at 6am - something I have never understood given that breakfast isn't served for at another one and a half hours. Which leads me to my opinion about hospital food. yuk  Hopefully private patients get theirs specially cooked for them and that it's of a reasonable standard, although I suspect it'll still be nothing like the meals provided in private hospitals.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 24, 2013, 04:02 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #77 on: September 24, 2013, 06:52 AM »

Thanks for posting the tweets and photo guys! It's so considerate of Andy to put his fans before himself and put our minds at rest! I'll bet having his photo taken is the last thing he felt like doing!  wub Still, as well as making us feel better, it'll put paid to the rumourmongers and naysayers before they get going......Virginia Wade.....please take note!!  Eyebrow raise. I feel so lucky that the best British Tennis player that we've had in decades, also happens to be one of the nicest, most considerate and most honest guys on the planet! I love you Andy Murray! Get well soon sweetie!  hug
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #78 on: September 24, 2013, 06:54 AM »

Great to see from his hashtags, he's obviously a PseudoFed fan as well!  w00t
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #79 on: September 24, 2013, 07:11 AM »

^Yes, thanx for the tweets and the news.  clap Good to see wub
Good to see that old sense of humour too yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #80 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38 AM »

Thanks for posting the tweets and photo guys! It's so considerate of Andy to put his fans before himself and put our minds at rest! I'll bet having his photo taken is the last thing he felt like doing!  wub Still, as well as making us feel better, it'll put paid to the rumourmongers and naysayers before they get going......Virginia Wade.....please take note!!  Eyebrow raise. I feel so lucky that the best British Tennis player that we've had in decades, also happens to be one of the nicest, most considerate and most honest guys on the planet! I love you Andy Murray! Get well soon sweetie!  hug
I think somebody should send a copy of that photo to Vinegar Wade.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 10:41 AM »

I think somebody should send a copy of that photo to Vinegar Wade.
Vinegar lmao  It really suits her Aileen! Luv it!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 01:25 PM »

Judy on Loose Women saying Andy's op went well and he hopes to be home TODAY.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 01:32 PM »

Wow........that's good news! If there were any misgivings, they'd hang on to him! Thanks Iluvandy!  yay
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01 PM »

Great news Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 02:21 PM »

Wow........that's good news! If there were any misgivings, they'd hang on to him! Thanks Iluvandy!  yay
Thanks from me too Iluvandy, and yes I agree with you Caz, so upwards and onwards!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 02:34 PM »

It is great news that Andy might be home today. I'm sure if there was any doubt they'd keep him in, so it's a positive sign.

Andy might even rest better at home to be honest. It always seems to me that the last place you want to be when you are resting is hospital.

Judy sounded very positive about Andy's surgery, which has to be another good sign.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 02:45 PM »

Thanks iluvandy. Wish I could have seen that show.. sounds hilarious.

Sounds as if everything is going to plan, because you're usually just kept in overnight. He'll be off the morphine pump and saline drip, and a physio will be assessing him by giving him some basic maneauvers to complete before he will be discharged. I had to walk up and down the corridor (using a walker) and climb/descend 3 block steps.

He will be in pain right now, but will be given a few days worth of painkillers to take at home. When he's home he will probably have to get up out of bed every hour and walk around the room. You have to keep moving. There are also other exercises to complete while lying in bed.

It's all good from now on.. goodjob
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 04:02 PM »

Thanks iluvandy. Wish I could have seen that show.. sounds hilarious.

Sounds as if everything is going to plan, because you're usually just kept in overnight. He'll be off the morphine pump and saline drip, and a physio will be assessing him by giving him some basic maneauvers to complete before he will be discharged. I had to walk up and down the corridor (using a walker) and climb/descend 3 block steps.

He will be in pain right now, but will be given a few days worth of painkillers to take at home. When he's home he will probably have to get up out of bed every hour and walk around the room. You have to keep moving. There are also other exercises to complete while lying in bed.

It's all good from now on.. goodjob
Thanks for all that information Scot.  Fingers crossed that Andy makes his target of going to Miami for his winter training, even if it might not be for as long as usual.  I can see him getting very frustrated though.  It won't be too bad right now because of the pain, but as this decreases and he starts to become more mobile, he's going to have to learn to be patient and not try to rush things.

From an article I came across, this is what a sports physio has to say about treating athletes -

We tend to find that athletes have a ‘can do’ attitude to their recovery and they always want to push themselves, because that is part of their character. They usually want to push the boundaries at each stage of the recovery period – whether it’s getting rid of crutches too soon or trying to run before the should. Their mental attitude is all about doing things faster and harder but that is not how recovery from injuries works, especially with something as delicate as the back/spinal nerves.

He also says -

The exact nature of Murray’s procedure will depend on the specific issues he has, the overall extent of problem and how much, if any, the nerve is affected. Some surgeries are more invasive than others but the main aim of most procedures like this is usually to ‘tidy up’ the disc and free up the nerve. From there it would be a matter of easing the inflammation and finding a balance between resting and mobilising the back to gradually get it moving again.

The recovery period is also hard to predict and, again, it depends on the severity of the problem. If the nerve has been compressed significantly then it could cause a bit of weakness in the muscles in the lower limbs. This would show in something as seemingly insignificant as being able to lift a toe but sport at the level Murray plays it is all based on tiny margins.

It may only take a few weeks to get back into training, but even so I think it’s very sensible that Murray’s team are already saying that he is unlikely to be back in time for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London in November. Even though this is probably a relatively minor operation, It’s important to manage Murray’s expectations as well as everyone else’s and not rush things.

So that means his fans managing their expectations as well.  It might not be easy, but it's worth remembering that in seven weeks the season will be over anyway, and that we can look forward to seeing a fit and pain-free Andy back on court, hopefully at the beginning of next year.

If anyone wants to read the full article here's the link - http://www.thetennisspace.com/tennis-physio-murrays-back-surgery-doesnt-surprise-me/
[ Last edit by Aileen September 24, 2013, 04:06 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59 PM »

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray 3m
After spending 2 days in hospital you realise and appreciate how amazing a job carers, nurses, doctors etc do in hospitals all over the world looking after people who are in need.. Thanks to everyone at hospital for looking after me and putting me back together again..
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »