Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY!

(Read 5401 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #105 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12 PM »

Thanks for all that information Scot.  Fingers crossed that Andy makes his target of going to Miami for his winter training, even if it might not be for as long as usual.  I can see him getting very frustrated though.  It won't be too bad right now because of the pain, but as this decreases and he starts to become more mobile, he's going to have to learn to be patient and not try to rush things.

From an article I came across, this is what a sports physio has to say about treating athletes -

We tend to find that athletes have a ‘can do’ attitude to their recovery and they always want to push themselves, because that is part of their character. They usually want to push the boundaries at each stage of the recovery period – whether it’s getting rid of crutches too soon or trying to run before the should. Their mental attitude is all about doing things faster and harder but that is not how recovery from injuries works, especially with something as delicate as the back/spinal nerves.

He also says -

The exact nature of Murray’s procedure will depend on the specific issues he has, the overall extent of problem and how much, if any, the nerve is affected. Some surgeries are more invasive than others but the main aim of most procedures like this is usually to ‘tidy up’ the disc and free up the nerve. From there it would be a matter of easing the inflammation and finding a balance between resting and mobilising the back to gradually get it moving again.

The recovery period is also hard to predict and, again, it depends on the severity of the problem. If the nerve has been compressed significantly then it could cause a bit of weakness in the muscles in the lower limbs. This would show in something as seemingly insignificant as being able to lift a toe but sport at the level Murray plays it is all based on tiny margins.

It may only take a few weeks to get back into training, but even so I think it’s very sensible that Murray’s team are already saying that he is unlikely to be back in time for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London in November. Even though this is probably a relatively minor operation, It’s important to manage Murray’s expectations as well as everyone else’s and not rush things.

So that means his fans managing their expectations as well.  It might not be easy, but it's worth remembering that in seven weeks the season will be over anyway, and that we can look forward to seeing a fit and pain-free Andy back on court, hopefully at the beginning of next year.

If anyone wants to read the full article here's the link - http://www.thetennisspace.com/tennis-physio-murrays-back-surgery-doesnt-surprise-me/
Interesting.......Thanks for that Aileen!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #106 on: September 24, 2013, 08:13 PM »

Thanks iluvandy. Wish I could have seen that show.. sounds hilarious.

Sounds as if everything is going to plan, because you're usually just kept in overnight. He'll be off the morphine pump and saline drip, and a physio will be assessing him by giving him some basic maneauvers to complete before he will be discharged. I had to walk up and down the corridor (using a walker) and climb/descend 3 block steps.

He will be in pain right now, but will be given a few days worth of painkillers to take at home. When he's home he will probably have to get up out of bed every hour and walk around the room. You have to keep moving. There are also other exercises to complete while lying in bed.

It's all good from now on.. goodjob
My mum had to do that too when she had a knee replacement!
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #107 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32 PM »

You have to keep moving. There are also other exercises to complete while lying in bed.

Linda, you are dreadful shocking......do you mean  Sex in bed
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #108 on: September 24, 2013, 08:36 PM »

roflmao someone's in a better mood!   Smile
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #109 on: September 24, 2013, 08:41 PM »

roflmao someone's in a better mood!   Smile
Fingers and tongue.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #110 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »

Lol that's brill Smile
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #111 on: September 24, 2013, 08:49 PM »

I like it. clap
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #112 on: September 24, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray 3m
After spending 2 days in hospital you realise and appreciate how amazing a job carers, nurses, doctors etc do in hospitals all over the world looking after people who are in need.. Thanks to everyone at hospital for looking after me and putting me back together again..

Oh bless his heart. What a lovely thing to say! Shows how genuine he is and how appreciative of what's been done for him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #113 on: September 24, 2013, 10:04 PM »

My mum had to do that too when she had a knee replacement!
An aunt of mine had to do the same sort of thing after a hip replacement. Recovery was a slow process (she was in her late 60s) but it was all worth it in the end because it gave her a new lease of life.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 24, 2013, 10:14 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #114 on: September 24, 2013, 10:11 PM »

An aunt of mine had to do the same sort of thing after a hip replacement. Recovery was a slow process (she was in her late 60s) but it was all worth it in the end because it gave her an new lease of life.
hip hip hurrah. yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #115 on: September 24, 2013, 10:15 PM »

Yes she breathed a thigh of relief when it was all over.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #116 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00 PM »

haaaaaaaaaaaaa
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #117 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Robbie isn't the only clever punster around here. lol
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #118 on: September 24, 2013, 11:14 PM »

Robbie isn't the only clever punster around here. lol

Of course, I am here after all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK SURGERY, ANDY! « Reply #119 on: September 24, 2013, 11:15 PM »

Of course, I am here after all.
Hmm ... well I suppose you aren't that bad. wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »