Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Has it really been 7 years?! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Has it really been 7 years?!

(Read 1997 times)
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:37 PM »

So what price Murray in the finals at Wimbledon next year looking to hold all four Grand Slam titles?...Wink

Oh stop it... pray cmon yeah
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 01:29 AM »

7 years of highs & lows. Wow!!

Yeah the nadal semi was too the low point for. I made the mistake of drinking alcohol during it (a mistake i never made again). I just lay on my bed for about 2 to 3 hrs & ended up with a **** of a hangover around 7pm. Awful!!
I thought the turnaround started at the French cause i noticed he was going for his forehands more aggressively than i have wtnessed before. In the quarter with Ferrer this was getting mixed results as he probably could not generate the power he needed on the clay court for this to be effective. It was more evident at Wimbledon & even more so at the Olympics. I think this has been his big improvment. Can't wait to see it on the hard courts!! Good point about the second serve being much better.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 12:54 PM »

I was so chuffed when he won the Gold Medal, imagine what it will be like when he finally wins a grand slam!! I'll have a smile for a week.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Thanks for starting this thread with a great post Aran.   I remember the times when some MW members have predicted that Andy would retire, happy to have made his millions.  But they didn't reckon with that burning fire in him that you sum up so well.  I think we have to give him alot of credit for taking the high risk strategy of hiring Mr L.  It would have been easy to carry on in charge but he went for someone who he knew might shake things up and make him play in a way he's not altogether comfortable with.  And that's exactly what has happened as Andy has gradually integrated a more aggressive dimension into his game so that when it comes to a big match like Olympic SF and F he can draw on it with ease.  I feel so proud of him and so excited about the possibilities opening up.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 06:48 PM »

It occurs to me that one of the things Andy was accused of for ages was surrounding himself with yes men. Hiring Lendl totally threw that one out of the window. It seems obvious to me that Lendl is no yes man, although I do think there is a sense that he has Andy's back, if you all know what I mean. They do seem to click somehow. Something tells me they are going to be great together. One could say they already are.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Indeed tj.   And it seems to me they've clicked really well and the fruits of that really showed at wimbledon/olympics even though Mr L wasn't there in person for the latter.  That in itself is encouraging ie that he doesn't have to be there physically necessarily for his influence to tell.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Indeed tj.   And it seems to me they've clicked really well and the fruits of that really showed at wimbledon/olympics even though Mr L wasn't there in person for the latter.  That in itself is encouraging ie that he doesn't have to be there physically necessarily for his influence to tell.

I actually thought it was fascinating to see that Lendl wasn't there and yet he still influenced how Andy played. Shows it works, and also that Andy respects his input.

It seems funny to me now that there were people who questioned Andy's decision to work with Lendl, but I honestly think it seems as if Andy respects the fact that Lendl has been there and done it, and had similar things to overcome.

I get a sense that maybe it works for Andy to be coached by someone who has been out there and done it, rather than being coached by someone who has coached someone who has done it, if that makes sense.

There is an interesting interview on Youtube that most of you will have seen I'm sure. It is with Lendl, talking to Brad Gilbert and someone who I presume is an American TV presenter, although I can't remember for sure. It was done during Wimbledon. The thing that interested me was the way Lendl talked about when he first met Andy, during that time when Brad Gilbert was coaching him. The part that interested me was when Brad Gilbert mentioned a practice session that Lendl watched. He asked Lendl, and forgive me, I am paraphrasing, if he remembered all the backchat Andy gave him. I could have kissed Lendl when he looked at Brad Gilbert and said, dead straight faced, 'No, I just thought the kid had got all the shots'. Classic!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26 AM »

Hi All,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I think this thread seems to fit the bill.

I had an interesting conversation this evening and thought it was worth sharing.

As I have said before, I have carers for mornings and evenings to help me a bit with some stuff due to my disability. A new carer started a few weeks ago. In conversation I discovered she is married to someone who used to coach tennis, but had to stop when he injured his back badly. Anyway, we had a chat, some of which was about Andy. After a few weeks I met this lady again this evening and again we started to talk about the tennis, especially Andy. I was delighted to hear the lady say that she and her husband can see the change in Andy. She said they both feel the change in him has been developing over the last 12 months. She mentioned some of the stuff we have talked about here, saying he looks like he believes now, looks so much more confident, looks like he really believes he belongs at the top. She said even before I could that their feeling is that Andy's triumph at the Olympics really could be pivotal, because it has been coming for a while, as part of a pattern in his development, it isn't just a one off fluke. She mentioned how Andy moves on quicker from mistakes, doesn't get so obviously frustrated. She spoke of how he creates chances for himself now so well, whilst also slamming the door on threats. She said the change in him is clear to see, she said he has matured and developed enormously.

One of the things she spoke so highly of was the way Andy put himself in the position to win in the Olympics. She said that the thing she felt was that he coped so well with the pressure to perform as part of TeamGB, but also with the pressure he would have put on himself, especially after Wimbledon

I just thought the conversation was encouraging. It suggests to me that there are people who can see how far Andy has come, how much he has grown, which I think is great.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 03:31 PM »

That is encouraging tj and it's good to hear how he's seen by people who don't follow him as closely as we all do.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13 PM »

That is encouraging tj and it's good to hear how he's seen by people who don't follow him as closely as we all do.

Hi Ruthie and all,

The funny thing about it is that I didn't think to ask if my carer and her husband were Andy fans as such. I just took them to be neutral observers, and certainly my carer said her husband is mad about the sport, and I guess as a former coach, regardless of what level he had done that to, he would have some idea of what he was talking about.

I just thought it was fantastic to hear all of the things we've talked about so much being confirmed by someone relatively neutral. I think it is brilliant that there are people who can see how Andy has grown and matured, as well as the development in his game.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Well even if they're fans I bet they're not hanging on his every match in the way we all are tj   w00t
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Well even if they're fans I bet they're not hanging on his every match in the way we all are tj   w00t

No, that's undeniably true LOL. I've decided I might be going mad actually. I think I'm addicted to that Olympic final. I could watch Andy serving that match out all day and never get bored.

Changing the subject slightly, the only problem I have this week is that from this evening until Tuesday morning I have visitors over from Ireland. It's my sister, her husband and their two little ones. I'm hoping for Andy's sake he plays on Monday. If he does I am going to have to find a tactful way, assuming he plays in the early evening UK time, of being anti-social. I don't suppose telling your family that Andy comes first is quite the thing to do lol.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Just so long as he doesn't have to wait till wednesday like he did last year tj.  And who knows he might be playing in the middle of our night anyway.  But perhaps your visitors could entertain each other for a couple of hours should Andy be playing Monday - I'm sure they'd understand  Whistle
IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 10:46 AM »

Thanks for your kind words, Ruthie...Smile

The Lendl thing has certainly paid off - and I think there's no way anyone who understands tennis could miss the changes.  Federer would have been much happier to have AM in the other half of the draw in Flushing Meadows.

If he wins the US Open, I reckon he'll get the Australian too - and then we can all settle down and play 'When will he catch up with Novak?'...Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Has it really been 7 years?! « Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31 AM »

Now that's a game I'd enjoy playing Aran.  Little tongue man
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »