Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Helping the newbies :D 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Helping the newbies :D

(Read 1594 times)
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Helping the newbies :D « on: September 24, 2005, 10:11 PM »

Now this may seem like a stupid idea, but still i will continue.... Very Happy
As a fan of tennis, but by no means an expert, i know the basics but i would love to learn more about the game. A lot of the people on this site really know what they're talking about and are obviously passionate about it.
So....i was wondering if anyone would fancy giving mini-masterclasses (i use the term loosely :d) about tennis - technical terms, what happens behind the scenes, any random stuff, whatever you felt like Very Happy - just a paragraph or a couple of sentences if anyone has the time!
The sharing of your knowledge would be massively appreciated  Smile
(Hope this is ok mark Very Happy)

x x x x x
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 12:36 AM »

LOL. I could write a book about tennis trivia. Fire away with your questions and I'm sure somebody on here will be able to answer them.

I'll leave David to answer any coaching or technique questions. I've got a bit rusty now I can no longer play.

Smile
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

thank you! « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 12:46 PM »

Quote from: "Tally"
LOL. I could write a book about tennis trivia. Fire away with your questions and I'm sure somebody on here will be able to answer them.

argh! where to start! okay um...well if someone could explain the different kind of shots to me - i think i understand most of them, but a comprehensive list would be really helpful, especially as im stuck listening to radio commentaries most of the time Very Happy also, any tennis trivia would be great - the weirder and more randomer the better!!

xXxXxXx
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Hi « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 01:21 PM »

Here's an interesting tennis fact for you...

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~min/images/eleph.jpg

Shock
IP Logged
Jills
Satellite Level

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 07:35 PM »

Haha thats cool!  :P
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: thank you! « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 09:11 PM »

Quote from: "eira_arian"

argh! where to start! okay um...well if someone could explain the different kind of shots to me - i think i understand most of them, but a comprehensive list would be really helpful, especially as im stuck listening to radio commentaries most of the time Very Happy also, any tennis trivia would be great - the weirder and more randomer the better!!

xXxXxXx

erm...well not sure how to answer here  Rolling Eyes i suppose not much point in me writting a whole paragraph on back-hands, chopper grip serves...western grip e.t.c
and general trivia....you'll probably find some random stuff on vamosrafael.com, or visit the Andy Murray thread....our girls know some funny and interesting stuff  :P

im not that great on tennis trivia, but ive got some 'insider' news on all the player's girlfriends....i.e. why Marat split up with Dasha....who Coria got married to....the possibly new Mrs Verdasco (haha getting jealous already) but all that relationship things aren't interesting....
i had some cool facts about wimbledon, but i don't know where they's gone - i'll try get them to you soon  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 09:13 PM »

hope this will put some grins on your faces....Andy's found his destiny, in Mandy Moore..... lol

IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

LOL « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 09:23 PM »

He's keeping abreast of the times I see!
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: LOL « Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 09:43 PM »

Quote from: "David"
He's keeping abreast of the times I see!

lol not the finest of Andy's moments! thing that worries me...is that he looks so terribly normal in the process Rolling Eyes keep your hands to yourself boy!  wink
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 08:23 PM »

what do you want to learn? It's great that more people are being inspired to play tennis.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 09:26 AM »

Quote from: "Amy"
what do you want to learn? It's great that more people are being inspired to play tennis.

anything!! yes, i know, not very helpful Very Happy
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 10:17 AM »

Quote from: "Amy"

anything!! yes, i know, not very helpful Very Happy

Right well heres a few tips to get you started:

When hitting topspin:  Swing low to high;  you can swing as hard as you want at the ball as long as you swing low to high at the ball.

Always bring the racquet back as early as possible allowing you more time to prepare your shot. When you are playing an opponent who hits the ball hard bringing the racquet back early will give you more time to adjust for the shot. Thisll make you seem like your not so rushed to hit the ball.

Take little steps to adjust your position to hit the ball, never large strides.

Watch the ball into your strings!  Avoid taking your eyes off the ball before impact, many people look to see where they are going to hit the ball before they actually hit the ball.  If your head lifts up, so does your racquet, often causing miss-hits.

Do not be afraid to lob.

Always aim to get your ground strokes beyond the service line.

Swing as hard at your second serve as you do at your first serve, just use all spin.

On the return of serve do not take a big backswing swing if your opponent has a big serve.  Instead, keep your backswing compact and short.  This will allow you more time to adjust and hit the ball. Andre Agassi is a great one to watch return serve!!

Hope this gets you started! Amy. xx
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

hi amy :o) « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 10:23 AM »

thats fab, thank you!! Very Happy
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Re: hi amy :o) « Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 11:13 AM »

thats fab, thank you!! Very Happy

no problem! let me know if any of those worked for you   Very Happy
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Helping the newbies :D « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 09:59 AM »

Can someone help with this question please?  If Tim Henman was to pull out off the Madrid Open would his place be offered as a wildcard to a British player or does it go to someone off the alternative list, I'm not sure how this works, also what does SE stand for, I've seen it on the list for the Open along with the Wildcards?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »