Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

How did you guys find out about Andy Murray?

(Read 2423 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39 AM »

I was probably dimly aware that a 12-y-o Brit had won the Orange Bowl, but not that it was Andy. First concrete memory was a snippet on the news about him winning the junior US Open in 04. I first realised he was going to be a great player when I watched him play Nalbandian at Wimbledon in 05. He turned him inside out that day.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50 AM »

I used to read snippets about him being a promising junior. I got him confused with Jonny Marray at first as there used to be a lot written about Jonny in my local paper - but I soon realised my mistake! He started getting a lot more coverage when he won the US Open juniors - people were talking about him as a potential slam winner. I think the first match I saw would've been his first match at Wimbledon.

I liked Andy as soon as I saw him for the first time. He seemed so down-to-earth and normal, and I felt I could identify with him. From the very beginning it was clear just what a hard worker he was - I admired that so much.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40 PM »

I read about him in the Press & Journal (Aberdeen news paper) in 2004, just after he won the US Open boys championship. The P&J always has a local or Scottish slant to their stories so this Scottish lad took my notice and I watched out for him from there on.
[ Last edit by dex July 10, 2013, 01:52 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 02:08 PM »

My story is slightly different. I really liked Andy Roddick when I was 7 years or so (mainly because of his looks. wub ). Hewitt and Roddick were the only tennis players I could remember because they wore caps. w00t

Since I liked Roddick, I somehow found out that there was another 'Andy' and slowly started watching Murray's matches. And I wasn't as crazy of him as I am now, I preferred Roddick but as I started understanding tennis, I really liked Murray's game more and more.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 02:10 PM »

When I first visited MurraysWorld

You mean when you first *made* MW? Wink
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 02:26 PM »

The Nalbandian Match. It was just so incredible to see this fearless young guy almost literally knocking himself out to try to win.
IP Logged
maxply
Futures Level

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 03:31 PM »

I was surfing the sports  program's one Saturday afternoon and the Tennis was on from the Aberdeen Cup .This young tall skinny youth was playing amazing Tennis and I have watched every Tournament I could since.
Also driving  my family mad going on about him.Thanks to Murrays World  for all the info and chat.....       hug
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32 PM »

How did u guys find out about murray?
He was on TV.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 03:33 PM »

You mean when you first *made* MW? Wink
One of my worst jokes that one.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 04:08 PM »

One of my worst jokes that one.

You're off your head mate.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 04:20 PM »

Back in 2005 I decided to sit up late one night to watch some tennis at Wimbledon -- something I had not done for the last few years. I watched a match were a young Scottish guy was playing his heart out to do his best against Nalbandian. At some point during the match I turned to tennis uninitiated 15 years old son and told him to watch out for that young Scottish guy because he was going to become a tennis champion and well known sportsman of his generation. My son -- 26 now and still not into tennis -- rang on Monday night to remind of this and said he knew his name is Andy Murray.  
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 04:51 PM »

Watching him on TV playing Queen's in 2005, and Wimbledon the same year.

I can't even remember much about Andy's matches at either tournament, apart from him going down like a sack of spuds at Queen's, and then cramping when two sets to love up on Nalbandian, but there was just something about the way he played. The shot-making, the ability to read the game, to drive an opponent a bit mental, was all there, right from the start.

Andy was this long string of raw talent. Someone else said it exactly right, a Brit who wanted to win - with all due respect it seemed almost unheard of! I've said it before, but to me, with all due respect, Andy was always more John McEnroe than Tim Henman in those early days. Andy had attitude, which is never a bad thing. He could also be fiery, which wasn't always helpful. However, what he also had was a deep and intense competitive spirit. He liked winning, hated losing. Makes sense to me!

I vividly recall watching Queen's in 2005 and telling people we had a player who was going to win grand slam championships. I was certain about it. I told people that his first would be the US Open, and then Wimbledon. I remember being laughed at, or smiled at indulgently. Well, who is laughing now? Smile.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54 PM »

I was on vacation with my family in the Uk and watched this lanky, hair tusled kid play .Loved him then ,love him now.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 05:21 PM »

I read about Andy and Jamie but dismissed the idea that a Scots boy would ever win anything in tennis and the idea that two Scots brothers would be good tennis players seemed preposterous.   On the Scottish news when he came home with the US Open Junior title I remember he looked so sweet and shy but I still paid no attention on the grounds that loads of good juniors disappear into the crowd.   Then I saw his first match at Queens and I remember running through to my next door neighbour to make sure she was watching and I said to her "This one's different".    I remember he played Radek Stepanek, I think at Queens, and  Stepanek did not look too happy being beaten by the skinny 18 year old.   I've loved him to bits from then on.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: How did you guys find out about Andy Murray? « Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I have always watched Wimbledon. One year a young Scot was playing and he kept shouting at the crowd to support him. He lost but I have always followed him since then. I am so glad I did because he is the best thing that happened to British Tennis. I admire his tenacity and fighting spirit and fights to the bitter end.Just look at him now a great tennis player a great athlete who never gives up and above all his skill.He has gone on to be a great champion who we Scots will never forget.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »