Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams?

(Read 1285 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07 PM »

Personally I don't think he'll win the AO this year, I just think Nole will be pumped up to with him going for 3 in a row. But I will be please to be proved wrong.

In a way, I think so too but I kinda feel that Andy will take the extra effort to beat Nole this time....the problem only occurs when Nole is too adamant and tries too hard to come back for a comeback!!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Andy could certainly win the AO this year. He should have the confidence to stay ahead if he win the first and/or second set.
Wimbledon is going to be the most interesting GS. I think Andy is now the best player on grass. Only Federer is up with him, but much has been said about the Feds staying power if he gets caught up in a five setter. His recovery may suffer. He could get put out before the final or meet Andy before he is fully recovered from his previous match. Even Fed fans said it was the only reason Andy put him out at the Olympics final. So playing their card it could happen again.
[ Last edit by dex January 08, 2013, 01:39 PM ] IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59 PM »

I think Andy will win the AO. Who is going to stop him? Joker and Fed are the only other 2 with a chance. Its been oft-said that the AO is Slam with the surface that bests suits Andy's game. Its a bit slower than the US. Andy usually coasts into the semis at this event, hardly breaking sweat. Now he's recovered from the breakthrough at the US I make Andy a pretty strong favourite.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Winning your 2nd consecutive Slam is essentially the toughest in tennis and as you can see, anyone has yet to do it. It's tougher than winning your 1st Slam. Patrick Rafter, for example who was also a late bloomer, won his first Major at age 25 (like our Andy) which is a bit late in tennis years and he too had to wait another year to win his 2nd, even when he was perfectly good enough to win either AO or Wimbledon in between. In fact, he was so hot in that year (1997), the bookies put him down as one of the favourites to win 1998 AO the following year (even more so than Agassi) but it didn't happen. I guess it's the overwhelming factor of winning your 1st Slam that often gets in the way. This, by no means, suggest that I don't think Andy won't be able to do it. It only means there's a big elephant in the room and we need to be aware of it. So IMO, right now, it depends on how much Andy has handled his success since then and if he has finally overcome those feelings given that it had taken him a very long time to win his first. And if these past three months were enough for him to settle things down. Another factor and almost all the time, the players need to taste a loss at a Slam level as well before the start craving for that winning feeling again. That's when I've noticed certain players in the past had gone on a winning spree after a short or long break of down time.

My gut feeling is that, Andy's in a very good place and should be the 2nd favourite to win AO but if it doesn't happen, I won't be too surprised because I know it's the hardest job to follow up after your 1st Major win.

I agree about it being one of the toughest feats in tennis given no-one has really done it before. but i'm looking at the situation as it is now Andy is unlikely to be overwhelmed by his first slam as he won OG  had been in many GS finals and won many masters event, he's used to the bigtime unlike alot of 1st time winners.

Some of the top players are out- of form or injured, the young guns are starting to improve but i'd be shocked ( and gutted!!!)if tomic/dimitrov/goffin/raonic etc could beat Andy over 5 sets i expect in B03 he may lose the odd time to these kind of guys, but in a slam?  

So really Fed and Novak are the only 2 challengers and seeing as this is not an indoor event I make him favorite ahead of Fed and on a level with Novak - lets face last few times they've played theres nothing to choose between them.

I will not be upset or suprised if Andy dosen't win. Andy Murray has NEVER been consistant or reliable in his level of performance, although his results have been pretty consistant he is liable to have off days more so than Djoke/Fed.

But I think he will win AO Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04 AM »

I agree about it being one of the toughest feats in tennis given no-one has really done it before. but i'm looking at the situation as it is now Andy is unlikely to be overwhelmed by his first slam as he won OG  had been in many GS finals and won many masters event, he's used to the bigtime unlike alot of 1st time winners.

Some of the top players are out- of form or injured, the young guns are starting to improve but i'd be shocked ( and gutted!!!)if tomic/dimitrov/goffin/raonic etc could beat Andy over 5 sets i expect in B03 he may lose the odd time to these kind of guys, but in a slam? 

So really Fed and Novak are the only 2 challengers and seeing as this is not an indoor event I make him favorite ahead of Fed and on a level with Novak - lets face last few times they've played theres nothing to choose between them.

I will not be upset or suprised if Andy dosen't win. Andy Murray has NEVER been consistant or reliable in his level of performance, although his results have been pretty consistant he is liable to have off days more so than Djoke/Fed.

But I think he will win AO Very Happy

But Andy has never experienced the taste of a Slam before until the USO so it's entirely a new territory for him. OG, Masters, Slam finals they all pale compare to his first Major. This is not a stat by chance or accident when the occurrence is regular and most predictable. It has happened for a reason. But anyway, you are right in one sense. There aren't as many players around to really threaten Andy other than the top two, though Andy can really be his own worst nightmare, but he's on a different boat now and has learned to work it out. And as Iluvandy pointed out, Andy has Lendl by his side and that's a big deal. Another thing to take a look at is the fact, he has already seen a series of losses post USO - Shanghai, Tokyo, Paris and finally, WTF., so these losses should bring him back to reality and keep him grounded. Either way, I think it will be mighty interesting to see how it all unfolds. I am going to take one match at a time. Unfortunately, I can never predict unless I am in the moment but overall, I am feeling very good (knockwood).   
IP Logged
batz

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18 AM »

Wow. So no-one has EVER won a 2nd Slam immediately after winning their first one! Hard to believe but what an achievement for Andrew if he can pull it off.

IIRC, nobody has even made the final in the next slam after winning their first (Connors won the next slam he played in after winning his first, but not the next slam that was played).
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 09:20 PM »

IIRC, nobody has even made the final in the next slam after winning their first (Connors won the next slam he played in after winning his first, but not the next slam that was played).

Double wow! 
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Lets hope Andy can do it. I think he won his first two Master's back to back.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Lets hope Andy can do it. I think he won his first two Master's back to back.
Cinci and Madrid, good call.

On the other hand I suspect that's not quite as uncommon.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 06:49 PM »

Well, there's always the first time in anything and who is to say it won't happen with Andy.

I liked what I saw vs Dimitrov so here's hoping.
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Posted this on "News Articles" but thought of posting it here as consecutive slams is being discussed... although the article is more on winning 2 slams in a row after winning your first slam.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2013-01-10/201301101357814917163.html
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: How many male players have won ceonsecutive Slams? « Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 04:56 PM »

surely any success Murray has now will be a record, for he is the only Brit to win a Slam for 70 odd years. I  will be hoping like mad, he wins another Slam this year I'm hoping it will be this year's Aussie Open
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »