Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How many slams? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: How many slams?  (Read 5929 times)
notnek
Futures Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #45 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05 PM »

Paddy Power thinks he'll win four altogether. But "three" and "five" are not far behind.

Interesting that the odds of him not winning another are 10/1. I also think it's pretty unlikely but I assumed that was me being biased!
[ Last edit by notnek September 12, 2012, 12:12 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #46 on: September 12, 2012, 12:20 PM »

I'm going for 8 Slams.
IP Logged
andychamp21

Re: How many slams? « Reply #47 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Paddy Power thinks he'll win four altogether. But "three" and "five" are not far behind.

Interesting that the odds of him not winning another are 10/1. I also think it's pretty unlikely but I assumed that was me being biased!

I'd say they are probably about right, almost tempting for some.

He'll definitely get more though !!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: How many slams? « Reply #48 on: September 12, 2012, 03:05 PM »

Just looking at my very early posts on here. In October 2005, I wrote: 'My long-term prediction is a world high of number 2 and a couple of grand slams.'

Looking good so far.
IP Logged
andychamp21

Re: How many slams? « Reply #49 on: September 12, 2012, 03:17 PM »

One concern is that the weight of expectation has suddenly shifted. It was always can he sneak a slam, can he get one? Now the BBC are running with Can Murray Dominate Tennis?

Give him a chance!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: How many slams? « Reply #50 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41 PM »

I don't think Andy will put that pressure on himself to be a dominating force in tennis and a multi-grand slam winner. He's had the goal of just winning a slam for such a long time that I think he will be almost entirely satisfied with managing that and everything from here on out is simply a bonus.

It doesn't matter what other people think at the end of the day, only if Andy can look back on what he's achieved and be proud and I think whatever happens now he can do that. I heard him say in one of his post-final interviews that "at least whatever happens now I can retire happy". That's actually the one question I wanted to ask Murray after he won the Olympic Gold: "Can you die happy now you've won this Gold Medal" and I think he would have been lying had he said "yes" then but if you asked him now he could "yes" and mean it because winning his slam was always the aim.
[ Last edit by laundry September 12, 2012, 03:48 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #51 on: September 12, 2012, 04:23 PM »

I don't think Andy will put that pressure on himself to be a dominating force in tennis and a multi-grand slam winner. He's had the goal of just winning a slam for such a long time that I think he will be almost entirely satisfied with managing that and everything from here on out is simply a bonus.

It doesn't matter what other people think at the end of the day, only if Andy can look back on what he's achieved and be proud and I think whatever happens now he can do that. I heard him say in one of his post-final interviews that "at least whatever happens now I can retire happy". That's actually the one question I wanted to ask Murray after he won the Olympic Gold: "Can you die happy now you've won this Gold Medal" and I think he would have been lying had he said "yes" then but if you asked him now he could "yes" and mean it because winning his slam was always the aim.

Mmmm I'm not so sure about that Laundry.  Andy likes to have a goal.  He said after the USO last year that he set himself the goal of getting to number 3 by the end of the year.  I think he will set himself a goal now - either reaching number 1 or winning Wimbledon.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: How many slams? « Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 04:31 PM »

It doesn't matter what other people think at the end of the day, only if Andy can look back on what he's achieved and be proud and I think whatever happens now he can do that. I heard him say in one of his post-final interviews that "at least whatever happens now I can retire happy". That's actually the one question I wanted to ask Murray after he won the Olympic Gold that "Can you die happy now you've won this Gold Medal" and I think if he answered honestly he would have been lying to say "yes" but if you asked him now he could "yes" and mean it because winning his slam was his main aim.

Hi Laundry and all,

I can see where you're coming from, but I sort of disagree. What I think Andy has done is prove to himself that he can take on one of the 'best' and win, and I think it will drive him forward.

I agree completely that if Andy never won another he could eventually retire knowing that he had done it once, and that would obviously give him more satisfaction than being considered 'a nearly man' or 'the greatest never to win a slam,' assuming he'd retired without winning one, but I just think Andy's competitive nature won't be sated until he feels he really has reached his potential.

I think the pressure he will deal with now will come from within. The one thing that has come through to me over and over during these last few days was Andy saying that he will never again have to go through being asked when he is going to win his first major. Obviously, he won't have to deal with pundits who suggest he won't win one either, because he has now, so those external pressures will be gone to an extent. However, I do think he will go all out to win more, because I suspect now he will understand that he is good enough to do it. I really think he has doubted that in the past, he has said as much, which is as heartbreaking as it is honest, from such a talented player.

The interesting thing to see will be how Andy deals with being in this different position. I really do think we watched him in that final go through every emotion possible. He certainly looked like he was battling doubts and all those demons that have stood in his way before. For me his complete masterstroke was to go to the loo before the fifth set and essentially give himself a talking to. When he came out to court again he looked like a new man. To me he looked like a man who was ready to fight again, and he did. I really do think that the way he drove himself on, knowing that he needed to win just one more set, will take him through a lot in the future. I hope so.

I wonder in retrospect how significant those wins against Lopez and Cilic were in the scheme of things. Now sure, I realise there is a whole world of difference between being in a tight spot with Lopez or Cilic, compared to being two sets all in a major final with a multi slam winner, but with Cilic especially Andy had his back right to the wall. I knew somehow he would come through, but in reality there, he was close to going out. Andy found it within himself in that tight situation to gather himself and come through, and he did the same in the final against a much tougher opponent, with all due respect to Cilic. I really do think now those struggles against Lopez and Cilic were worth it, because it meant that when he really had to dig deep he was ready to do it. I think that is another thing that bodes so well for the future.

I can't help feeling that another win, wherever it comes, might feel more real than the US. When he won Andy looked stunned, as if he really couldn't believe that he had done it at last. I think next time, and I'm convinced there will be a next time, and very soon, he will really believe it.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 04:49 PM »

I certainly would like to hope that he'd win more slams. I think he is capable of it.

I won't put a number on it. He's achieved a Slam, in the arena where he first had a shot at it. I don't think he will achieve a Career Grand Slam unless his clay court tennis improves or someone kills Rafa. Which doesn't diminish anything he's done or anything he will do. I know he is capable of going all the way when it comes to the AO or Wimbledon, though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50 PM »

I also noticed earlier that yet again in a tie-break (certainly for the last three, I can't recall the three against Lopez) he fell behind, 2-5, 3-5 down, before coming back to take it. Amazing how he kept on managing to do that, even against Djokovic. Seems to start them sloppy then it takes him to go within two points of losing the set before kicking into gear (that backhand return against Berdych was stunning).
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: How many slams? « Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 05:04 PM »

I wasn't suggesting that Andy won't be driven, of course he will and of course he will have new goals and what to get as much as he can from here. But I don't think he will be putting the same kind of pressure on himself to achieve these things as he did with winning a first slam. After the US Open win he said the main emotion he was feeling was "relief" because of the kind of pressure he had on himself but I think after his next slam win his emotional reaction will tilt heavily more towards elation instead of relief.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: How many slams? « Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 05:21 PM »

Lots I hope.. but right now I don't care.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 07:23 PM »

I will be ecstatic with his career if he never wins a slam again. Smile

The weedy boy we all watched at Queens 2005 still feels like yesterday and I cannot believe where he is today. In many respects his career is complete for me, he's a bloody grand slam champion.  Anything extra is just pure indulgence for me and I would trade in any number of AO/RG/US for Wimbledon, I want him to do it at home!
IP Logged
pggtips
Futures Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Ditto all those who are sanguine with him winning the 1, personally I was chuffed just to see him win a match at the big W, now there is Jamie Baker, Jamie Murray & Colin Fleming winning matches at Wimbledon while Andy is getting to slam finals.

Now that Andy has won a major, his runner-up spots now go in his favour, rather a one-off champion like Johansson or Gaudio, he sits alongside Ivanisevic, Stich, Roddick and Ferrero (and I forgot Moya too) as well as other guys like Cash and Korda.

Just delighted really, it's an amazing achievement.  cmon yeah

I will answer the question though.

hmmm  w00t

Say 7 more finals, winning 4 of them
[ Last edit by pggtips September 12, 2012, 07:55 PM ] IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #59 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01 PM »

Like so many here I'm really, really happy with this one. I wouldn't dare make a prediction but I would be ecstatic if he won the AO and Wimbledon.  I'm not greedy, once will do for each!  Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »