Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How many slams? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

How many slams?

(Read 6669 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: How many slams? « Reply #105 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Totally agree with everything you have written, my sentiments exactly. I think we will see even better tennis from Andy. Other players will have respect for him and this aura will gain him points, especially from the lower ranked players. Milos and Berdy will not going into matches believing they can dominate Andy, the former will now have respect for Andy and he will be hoping he isn't drawn in Andy's side of the draw, and arrogant Berdy will not be cocksure.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #106 on: September 19, 2012, 03:44 PM »

clap clap clap Good post teejay!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #107 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51 PM »

@Aileen
I don't believe in "luck."
Players make their own.
eg Why did Lopez serve a double at set point? Nothing to do with "luck" it's because Andy's return game intimidates other players.
also re Berdych match, again nothing to do with "luck," Andy handled the conditions better, is all.
Ii agree bbh - Andy came through those matches because he was the better player and had the belief and determination to do it - something we haven't always seen from him in the past.  How many times have we seen Rafa and Fed struggle in the early stages of a Major only to come through and win it in the end?
I wasn't intending to denigrate Andy's great achievement of which I am as proud of as everyone else.   What I was really implying is that his inconsistencies, his serve is a good example, could have cost him but fortunately (probably a more appropriate word than "lucky") they didn't because he had the tactical ability, as well as the will to win, to dig himself out of trouble.  Fed, Djoko and Nadal also don't tend to have the sometimes rather alarming mid-match slumps that Andy has, and this is something he has to get to grips with because this is where he does make things difficult for himself.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: How many slams? « Reply #108 on: September 19, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Totally agree with everything you have written, my sentiments exactly. I think we will see even better tennis from Andy. Other players will have respect for him and this aura will gain him points, especially from the lower ranked players. Milos and Berdy will not going into matches believing they can dominate Andy, the former will now have respect for Andy and he will be hoping he isn't drawn in Andy's side of the draw, and arrogant Berdy will not be cocksure.

Thanks. I think that point you make about the effect on other players is significant. I've never really been one who attaches too much importance to what 'the locker room' thinks. You know the sort of thing I mean, when there was negativity in the spring about Andy's back issues, there were a few comments about what was being said in the locker room. Well, what a way for Andy to prove a few points. It feels to me as if Andy has said a huge 'up yours' to the lot of them.

I do think Andy can walk in to the locker room with his head high now, of course, but as you suggest, the difference will probably be over the net, which is where it really counts. I don't see anyone looking forward to playing Andy now. Players below him will be likely to meet him with real trepidation, which could be the difference on key points, and even those above him in the rankings will know now he isn't going to go away without a fight.

It was interesting to see Djokovic saying after the final that he knew he wasn't dealing with the same Andy Murray as before. That speaks volumes for how far Andy has come, but it also speaks for how Djokovic could see Andy's progress and what that might mean for the future.

In terms of Raonic and Berdych, they could still be tricky in best of three set matches, because of being such big hitters. If Raonic was to get a head start in a best of three match he might well be hard to stop, but sure, I do think he is fully aware now of what he is dealing with with Andy, and that won't do him any harm at all. I still think the look on Raonic's face during the latter stages of that match on Ashe was priceless. That has to go down as the funniest match of the whole tournament lol.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #109 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40 PM »

I wasn't intending to denigrate Andy's great achievement of which I am as proud of as everyone else.   What I was really implying is that his inconsistencies, his serve is a good example, could have cost him but fortunately (probably a more appropriate word than "lucky") they didn't because he had the tactical ability, as well as the will to win, to dig himself out of trouble.  Fed, Djoko and Nadal also don't tend to have the sometimes rather alarming mid-match slumps that Andy has, and this is something he has to get to grips with because this is where he does make things difficult for himself.

Well i agree with that in some respect, but the reason that Rafa, Fed and Djoko don't have mid match slumps is because they have belief and confidence, which comes with winning grand slams. Hopefully now that andy has won big this summer, he won't be having any more slumps either Smile
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: How many slams? « Reply #110 on: September 19, 2012, 06:43 PM »

Well i agree with that in some respect, but the reason that Rafa, Fed and Djoko don't have mid match slumps is because they have belief and confidence, which comes with winning grand slams. Hopefully now that andy has won big this summer, he won't be having any more slumps either Smile
My sentiments exactly.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #111 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23 PM »

I think you could argue that Andy was lucky to get to the final, given that at times he didn't play his best tennis. However, I don't see it quite like that.

Disagree 100% that anyone could argue Andy was lucky to reach the final. Andy won every match in 3 or 4 sets so how was he lucky? Sure he had some tough matches and he had to dig deep especially against Lopez but no-one could argue Andy didn't deserve his final spot.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #112 on: September 19, 2012, 08:27 PM »

I can see Andy and Joker winning a barrowload of Slams in the next 3-4 years. Fed and Nadal both could be on the wane and after them who is there? IMO the only guy would be Del Potro. He's a year or two younger and has won a Slam already. No-one else has a chance imo. Raonic would have to vastly improve to have a shot.
[ Last edit by BigNose September 19, 2012, 08:35 PM ] IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #113 on: September 19, 2012, 08:31 PM »

I can see Andy and Joker winning a barrow-load of Slams in the next 3-4 years. Fed and Nadal both could be on the wane and after them who is there? IMO the only guy would be Del Potro. He's a year or two younger and has won a Slam already. No-one else has a chance imo. Raonic would have to vastly improve to have a shot.
Agreed + Delpo isn't going to get any better than now.  2009 USO was a bit of a fluke.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: How many slams? « Reply #114 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33 PM »

I've always said the future was Murray/Djokovic.

Now I say: Let the Murray/Djokovic era begin...
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #115 on: September 19, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Agreed + Delpo isn't going to get any better than now.  2009 USO was a bit of a fluke.

It wasn't a fluke because he had been on a great run in North America before that final. Andy stopped him by winning the final in Montreal. But he was definetly touted as a dark horse when the USO started. It is possible he will never reach these heights again though. The top guys may have him figured out ie.keep him moving and keep it away from his forehand!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #116 on: September 19, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Agreed + Delpo isn't going to get any better than now.  2009 USO was a bit of a fluke.
It wasn't a fluke because he had been on a great run in North America before that final. Andy stopped him by winning the final in Montreal. But he was definetly touted as a dark horse when the USO started. It is possible he will never reach these heights again though. The top guys may have him figured out ie.keep him moving and keep it away from his forehand!
I don't think it was a fluke either and it would have been interesting to see how many more Slams Delpo might have won had he not been out for so long with a wrist injury, something he's still clawing his way back from.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: How many slams? « Reply #117 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Disagree 100% that anyone could argue Andy was lucky to reach the final. Andy won every match in 3 or 4 sets so how was he lucky? Sure he had some tough matches and he had to dig deep especially against Lopez but no-one could argue Andy didn't deserve his final spot.

BN, if you'd bothered to read what I said, rather than picking on one line, you would see that I agree with you, though God help me for that.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #118 on: September 19, 2012, 10:16 PM »

BN, if you'd bothered to read what I said, rather than picking on one line, you would see that I agree with you, though God help me for that.

I did read what you said. And you stated something as fact that is a load of nonsense. This is your nonsense statement:

"Hi All,

I think you could argue that Andy was lucky to get to the final, given that at times he didn't play his best tennis. However, I don't see it quite like that. "

And I pointed out that nobody could seriously argue Andy was lucky to get to the final.
[ Last edit by BigNose September 19, 2012, 10:21 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #119 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18 PM »

In terms of Raonic and Berdych, they could still be tricky in best of three set matches, because of being such big hitters. If Raonic was to get a head start in a best of three match he might well be hard to stop, but sure, I do think he is fully aware now of what he is dealing with with Andy, and that won't do him any harm at all. I still think the look on Raonic's face during the latter stages of that match on Ashe was priceless. That has to go down as the funniest match of the whole tournament lol.
I agree.  Andy certainly took the wind out of Raonic's sails.  I'm quite glad though because I'd been starting to think Raonic was getting a little bit too cocky.  Now, of course, he realises that that big serve of his CAN be neutralised - and that might encourage him to work harder on other aspects of his game.   In fact Andy may have done him a favour.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »