Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, LIVE - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How many slams? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

How many slams?

(Read 7023 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: How many slams? « Reply #120 on: September 19, 2012, 11:32 PM »

Now he's got the large chimp off his back, how many slams are we predicting?

I'm going with four, only because he's started relatively late. I'll say one more US, an Australian and a Wimbledon.
 I know I'm coming to this late, but I'm going with 8, same as Lendl. I also think now he's done the Olympics he's going to go all out for a golden career slam, like his hero Agassi, which means RG in there somewhere, as well as AO and Wimbledon obviously .  Can't say if he'll do it, but its gonna be fun watching!
[ Last edit by Fiverings September 19, 2012, 11:37 PM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #121 on: September 19, 2012, 11:35 PM »

Not sure Andy did anything really, i think Raonic is just being overhyped by the media because tennis is crying out for the next big thing, and he is just ahead of a really poor quality bunch. Bernard Tomic was disgusting in the USO, i think Goffin is a little bit frail and needs beefing up, and after that there really isn't much else, maybe Jack Sock or Grigor Dmitrov but not impressed with them either.

Raonic has been beaten this year by the likes of Isner, Wawrinka, Querrey heck even lleyton Hewitt beat him at the Aussie open. Watching him against Andy, it was obvious that his serve was going to get found out after a few games, and Andy is too good a returner to be bothered by a serve, that leaves a decent forehand but because he tries to run around so much to get on his forehand due to his backhand being a bit rubbish, this makes for a lot of UE's.

Even If Raonic dumps his coach and gets a beter all court game, i still don't see him being up there with the best, he's just too slow and i think that if he finds himself unable to break through within the next couple of years, he will just end up being the next Karlovic. At most i would say he will be on a par with John Isner, but if you think about it, Isner being in the top ten just goes to show the huge gulf there is now in tennis between the top 5 or 6 and everyone else. Sure, any of those outside the top 6 can cause upsets on their day and maybe have a few decent runs in slams but i really cannot see them beating the top guys when it matters.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #122 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28 AM »

Not sure Andy did anything really, i think Raonic is just being overhyped by the media because tennis is crying out for the next big thing, and he is just ahead of a really poor quality bunch. Bernard Tomic was disgusting in the USO, i think Goffin is a little bit frail and needs beefing up, and after that there really isn't much else, maybe Jack Sock or Grigor Dmitrov but not impressed with them either.
Tomic wasn't even trying when he played Roddick.  It was almost like he didn't want to be the player to beat him in his last tournament.

I notice you've made no mention of Dolgopolov.  Any thoughts on him?  He's another player who seemed to promise much but who tends to fade from time to time.  He does though suffer from an unpleasant liver condition known as Gilberts Syndrome, which can cause fatigue, muscle weakness and abdominal pain - in fact Dolgo once said that often he can't eat for 2/3 days at a time - so possibly that's part of the reason, but not all.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #123 on: September 20, 2012, 12:45 AM »

I agree.  Andy certainly took the wind out of Raonic's sails.  I'm quite glad though because I'd been starting to think Raonic was getting a little bit too cocky.  Now, of course, he realises that that big serve of his CAN be neutralised - and that might encourage him to work harder on other aspects of his game.   In fact Andy may have done him a favour.

Yep... Andy gave Raonic a lesson in terms of both on-court play and off-court respect. Which is what he needed ... given his pre-match comments.

The guy has a great serve.... no one is doubting that... his shots can also carry good weight.... but like all big servers he puts so much emphasis and focus on the serve ...he can be virtually stationary on the baseline. Too basic a game to challenge and win a major against the top 4. He has some potential but I cant see him winning against the top guys until they pass their prime. I would actually say Bernard Tomic has the most potential, he has a better all round game....but he currently lacks the mental determination to reach his potential.

The most current threat to the big 4 is ....and i hate to say it... Berdych. Who I just dont like at all.... his manner and sportsmanship are terrible. His game is a threat tho... and he does seem determined to challenge. Altho, Murray would have taken his arrogance down a notch you would think.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #124 on: September 20, 2012, 12:59 AM »

Tomic wasn't even trying when he played Roddick.  It was almost like he didn't want to be the player to beat him in his last tournament.

I notice you've made no mention of Dolgopolov.  Any thoughts on him?  He's another player who seemed to promise much but who tends to fade from time to time.  He does though suffer from an unpleasant liver condition known as Gilberts Syndrome, which can cause fatigue, muscle weakness and abdominal pain - in fact Dolgo once said that often he can't eat for 2/3 days at a time - so possibly that's part of the reason, but not all.

Yeah he's another tipped for great things but as yet nada, maybe that illness you mentioned is the reason - all in all i am quite happy to not see a breakthrough player until andy retires Smile i like the top 4 now, and soon maybe it maybe just a top 3 or even 2 if rafa doesn't come back as he would like, that leaves Andy and Novak to share the spoils. But then who knows, one of those younglings may come out next year and really cause some trouble, but i really don't think the current crop will do so.

And to ABF, yeah Bedrych is looking to step up a bit but if so he really needs to get the mental side of his game in order, he's worse than Andy used to be for mental frailty.

Poor old Tsonga, i actually would not mind one iota if he managed to get a slam under his belt, i think he deserves it as on his day he is quite awesome. And Ferrer too, but i think his age is against him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #125 on: September 20, 2012, 01:48 AM »

Poor old Tsonga, i actually would not mind one iota if he managed to get a slam under his belt, i think he deserves it as on his day he is quite awesome. And Ferrer too, but i think his age is against him.
I feel really sorry for Ferrer.  He's such a gutsy player who just never gives up, yet he's never won a Masters let alone a Slam and, as you say, time is not on his side.

Federer's going soon.  Of that I am convinced.  If not at the end of this year then definitely at some point next year.  Meanwhile I think Nadal's going to have his work cut out if he wants to get back to being the player he was after a six-month lay-off, and that's assuming that he is fully fit by the start of next season, although if his knees cause too many more stops and starts over the next couple of years, then he might well be forced to call it a day for that reason alone. 

However we don't know which young players may be lurking way down in the rankings who could pop over the next few years and get to the top.  I can't believe this won't happen since it's a natural part of the ongoing tennis cycle.  I'd love to think that at least one Brit might be among them, but I'm resigned to the fact that players like Murray are born not made, no matter how many tennis academies Britain might ultimately provide.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #126 on: September 20, 2012, 09:48 AM »

Isner being in the top ten just goes to show the huge gulf there is now in tennis between the top 5 or 6 and everyone else. Sure, any of those outside the top 6 can cause upsets on their day and maybe have a few decent runs in slams but i really cannot see them beating the top guys when it matters.

I don't think there is a top 5 or 6. There is a top 4. Even 5 or 6 tend to get knocked out the Slams at unpredictably early rounds. But the top 4  rarely lose now before the semis. When they do lose it is inevitably to each other.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #127 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51 AM »

I feel really sorry for Ferrer.  He's such a gutsy player who just never gives up, yet he's never won a Masters let alone a Slam and, as you say, time is not on his side.

Yeah its surprising how few of the top 10 players have won a Masters. Just goes to show how difficult it is to do just now. Even Tim only won 1 in his whole career. Puts Andy's 8 (so far) into perspective.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: How many slams? « Reply #128 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02 AM »

Gilbert's syndrome ought to be benign - many people have it, including me! lol
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: How many slams? « Reply #129 on: September 20, 2012, 10:06 AM »

I don't think there is a top 5 or 6. There is a top 4. Even 5 or 6 tend to get knocked out the Slams at unpredictably early rounds. But the top 4  rarely lose now before the semis. When they do lose it is inevitably to each other.
Generally you're right. But there are frequent execeptions of course - Rosol, Berdych, Ferrer, have all done the business with the big 4 before slam semis this year. So its not inevitable, there's no room for complacency whatsoever at the top - but the big guys know that. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How many slams? « Reply #130 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07 AM »

5 or 6, but not the french. I would love for Andy to win The Golden Slam, but I just don't see it happening.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #131 on: September 20, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Agreed + Delpo isn't going to get any better than now.  2009 USO was a bit of a fluke.
I wouldn't call it a fluke. More that it all came together for him at just the right moment - his form, the momentum, his best tennis, bit of luck from opponents. It was however still a fantastic tournament from him and the final was one of the epics.

However he has never been on a level with the top four, and Andy has always been a league ahead despite the Slam count. Just look at the H2H. And since his injury he's not yet got back to that level yet (that, and a mixture of everyone around him improving since 2009). He's on to finish #6 this year though and with Ferrer at 30, I think it's only a matter of time before the he's the best of the rest again.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #132 on: September 20, 2012, 11:06 AM »

You forget Ryan Harrison and his younger brother Christian. I think Harrison and Tomic are the most promising (Tomic clearly has some mental issues right now, but the talent is there), but I agree, I don't see either of them or anyone else for that matter being able to reach the top of the game. This really is an incredible era, with three players separated by a single year becoming three of the greats, and only one player outside of those three being able to compete with them.

Looking a bit further on there is Quinzi who has big potential, but he's only 16 now so it would probably be a good few years yet. Then there is Kozlov (who is only 14). But then again, the Juniors only tell so much. Donald Young was far more dominant than Quinzi at the same age and look at him now.

Also, why top 6? There's a top 4 and a second group of 4 (Ferrer, DelPo, Berdych, Tsonga), and then the next bigger group (with Tipsarevic maybe somewhere in between). But top 6?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #133 on: September 20, 2012, 11:40 AM »

I should'nt write off Delpo too soon He suffered a really bad wrist injury and they take a long time  before a player can truly trust it again I'm always glad if he is'nt in Murrays quarter.
 Reading these letters it seems that it won't be long before we are worrying whether Andy will be a" one slam pony"   I prayed he would win one slam he did.Now I am just going to enjoy his performances as long as he wants to grace the tennis scene
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #134 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Reading these letters it seems that it won't be long before we are worrying whether Andy will be a" one slam pony"   I prayed he would win one slam he did.Now I am just going to enjoy his performances as long as he wants to grace the tennis scene
I must admit I'd die a happy woman right now knowing that Andy has at long last won his maiden Slam, and an Olympic Gold to boot, and is well and truly up there with the Big Boys, but I know from what Andy has said that he has his eye on winning more Slams and that his ambition is to become No.1, something which really would be the icing on the cake.  In a way though he has now shifted one expectation to another, which, although infinitely less burdensome, is inevitably going to raise its head at some point in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, despite claiming earlier that I wouldn't make any predictions, I've done a bit more thinking based on comments on this thread, and now feel that 5 Slams (in total, that is) isn't an unrealistic figure.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »