Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How many slams? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

How many slams?

(Read 7083 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: How many slams? « Reply #150 on: September 21, 2012, 07:17 AM »

I have a really strong feeling that next year is going to be Andy's year... pray
Hope it turns out to be like that but one thing I am very sure of is that the Wimbledon is gonna be Andy's..
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: How many slams? « Reply #151 on: September 21, 2012, 09:43 AM »

Like the new avatar Aileen - seems like Andy's win has inspired a few updates! 
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #152 on: September 21, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Del Potro could never compete even before the injury. His H2H against the top guys is terrible (I think Andy is 5-1 up, with the one loss coming on the clay). He's never even won a Masters. The USO was where it all came together for him, with him finding his best form as the other top guys waned (Nadal was still recovering from his long injury lay-off). Murray on the other hand has been knocking on the door for four years now and has won 8 Masters in his career, reaching 4 Slam finals.

Del Potro is the best of the rest in my opinion, apart from Ferrer perhaps, and he may win more Slams in the future depending on what happens with Rafa and Federer, but he'll never be on the same level as the top four and he never has.

I hope you are right but Delpo  has had a rapid rise since his return from injury being now ranked 8th and 6th in the race and Andy has not played him since his return
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #153 on: September 21, 2012, 01:09 PM »

I hope you are right but Delpo  has had a rapid rise since his return from injury being now ranked 8th and 6th in the race and Andy has not played him since his return
I wouldn't call it rapid. It's taken him the best of two years to get back to the top 10 and he's still not even where he was before the injury.

Andy having a 5-1 H2H, having not played since his return, surely speaks volumes. Seeing as DelPotro is nowhere near that level right now. Andy dominated him when he was at his best. You just have to look at Djokovic beating him with ease to see that Del Potro is just nowhere near that level, right now, and probably ever.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #154 on: September 21, 2012, 01:29 PM »

Totally agree about the roof.  I still maintain Andy would have had a fighting chance if the match had been able to continue outdoors, although I reckon they should have closed the roof from the start given that the organisers knew heavy rain was on its way.  The excuse that "this is an outdoor tournament" was pathetic in the circumstances.

I don't think it was purely down to just the roof. Andy came close to breaking Fed in the 2nd set when the Swiss looked a bit lacklustre, but came through to snatch it in the end. Having the rain delay gave Roger the chance to speak to Annacone about adjusting their tactics so combined with that and the slippery grass were factors that helped the Swiss in the end.

Andy has a great shout winning AO, Wimbledon and even the FO next year. He's lost to Gonzalez, Berdych, Rafa and Ferrer - not exactly a bad bunch of claycourt players.

With the slam win and burden lifted, Andy can now focus on winning matches rather than thinking about not delivering that slam to end the 76 year drought.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #155 on: September 21, 2012, 01:32 PM »

I don't think it was purely down to just the roof. Andy came close to breaking Fed in the 2nd set when the Swiss looked a bit lacklustre, but came through to snatch it in the end. Having the rain delay gave Roger the chance to speak to Annacone about adjusting their tactics so combined with that and the slippery grass were factors that helped the Swiss in the end.

Andy has a great shout winning AO, Wimbledon and even the FO next year. He's lost to Gonzalez, Berdych, Rafa and Ferrer - not exactly a bad bunch of claycourt players.

With the slam win and burden lifted, Andy can now focus on winning matches rather than thinking about not delivering that slam to end the 76 year drought.

But to win it he needs to beat these sort of players, AND then Rafa, Djokovic and/or Federer as well.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: How many slams? « Reply #156 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36 PM »

I couldn't give a toss about Wimbledon.  He just won the US Open.  shush  please   people are talking about him getting to number 1 and winning Wimbledon  - no pressure eh?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #157 on: September 21, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Someone said that Fed, Djoko and Nadal all won their maiden slams against guys who'd never won a slam, is this right?  Does this make Andy's maiden even more impressive?  Wonder how many guys in the open era have taken their maiden slam off a existing slam holder. Can't be bothered to check, but perhaps someone out there knows?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #158 on: September 21, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Like the new avatar Aileen - seems like Andy's win has inspired a few updates! 
My old one was a thistle too, and so was the one before it.  I like thistles.  Hope they bring Andy luck. Smile

That's pretty much what I was inferring.  Had the match continued outdoors then I think Andy could have taken, although maybe in 5 sets.  Not only was he the fitter of the two players but he'd really have got the crowd going.  Did Andy not manage to speak to Lendl?  I don't think he did, which seems a bit strange. Think

But to win it he needs to beat these sort of players, AND then Rafa, Djokovic and/or Federer as well.
And focus on beating them on a regular basis, not just in Slams, although the Big Four might become the Big Three before very long, and Nadal will probably still be worrying about his knees - something that could dent his confidence, especially after this latest lay-off.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: How many slams? « Reply #159 on: September 21, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Someone said that Fed, Djoko and Nadal all won their maiden slams against guys who'd never won a slam, is this right?  Does this make Andy's maiden even more impressive?  Wonder how many guys in the open era have taken their maiden slam off a existing slam holder. Can't be bothered to check, but perhaps someone out there knows?
That's right.....and the defending champion at that!  Whistle
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: How many slams? « Reply #160 on: September 21, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Yep. Nadal beat Puerta, Djokovic beat Tsonga and Federer beat Philippoussis.

Murray on the other hand has had to play Federer, Federer, Djokovic, Federer, Djokovic.

Del Potro won his Slam beating Federer in the final. Not sure about other Slam winners in the open era.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #161 on: September 21, 2012, 05:17 PM »

Yep. Nadal beat Puerta, Djokovic beat Tsonga and Federer beat Philippoussis.

Murray on the other hand has had to play Federer, Federer, Djokovic, Federer, Djokovic.

Del Potro won his Slam beating Federer in the final. Not sure about other Slam winners in the open era.
Thanks for that TMH - I 'm mulling an Autumn project  to track all slam winners and their opponents!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: How many slams? « Reply #162 on: September 21, 2012, 05:23 PM »

Since 1987, 15 men have won a grand slam title and never managed to repeat the feat. New US Open champion Andy Murray is determined not to become the 16th one-slam wonder and his emotional return home last weekend could spur him on to great things

Article at http://www.thetennisspace.com/murray-determined-not-to-be-one-slam-wonder/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #163 on: September 21, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Since 1987, 15 men have won a grand slam title and never managed to repeat the feat. New US Open champion Andy Murray is determined not to become the 16th one-slam wonder and his emotional return home last weekend could spur him on to great things

Article at http://www.thetennisspace.com/murray-determined-not-to-be-one-slam-wonder/
Thanks for posting Elena.

I don't think Andy will be a one-Slam wonder unless fate is very unkind to him.  Apart from his own ambitions, he doesn't like letting his supporters down - and realising just what huge support he has now is only going to fuel his desire and self-belief,
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: How many slams? « Reply #164 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17 PM »

^ I agree his stubbornness was also a drawback, and one that infuriated me too, and Maclagan certainly wasn't the man to kick it out of him, and kick him out of his comfort zone as well.  No wonder his team were constantly being referred to as "Yes men", but I suppose we have to accept that at that time Andy probably wouldn't even have considered Lendl as a coach.  Perhaps it was a period of his career that he was destined to work through before he could go on to achieve his goals.

Hi Aileen and all,

I wonder, to be honest, how much of Andy's reluctance to change his game was down to stubborness and how much of it was fear, to a point. What I mean is, looking at it from Andy's point of view, he was winning a lot of matches with his defensive game, and had been winning for some time. Maybe he was afraid to change, maybe he feared he wouldn't be able to play a more aggressive game. We'll never know what his thinking was back then. All we know now is that he is balancing his great defensive skills with a more aggressive game, and it is paying off. I'm sure there is something to the point that Lendl talking to Andy about making changes carries more weight than it would have done from Miles Maclagan, but I wonder if that is down to Andy having trust in Lendl. Andy isn't daft. He must know that if Lendl is asking him to do something, he knows it works, because he has been there and done it. With the best will in the world, and with all due respect, no one can say that about Miles Maclagan, not really.

I suppose we could look back and wonder what could have happened if Andy had approached Lendl earlier. The thing is, maybe Lendl wouldn't have wanted to come back to the game before now. I think Lendl's involvement with Andy has come at the perfect time. Andy is more mature now, in fact I think he has grown up right in front of us over the last year or so. I wonder if he realised as well that he needed to make changes? I suspect so, in which case he was going to be more open to change. Maybe this is the right time for Lendl too. Maybe he has the time and patience for Andy now. I think they work so well because they simply get each other. The overlap of their experiences in trying to win majors is fascinating.

I'm a bit of a believer in the idea that anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I think that applies to Andy. Don't get me wrong, I wish he was already the multi-slam winner I am convinced he is destined to be, but I do think everything happens for a reason. Maybe Andy did need to go through the mill to get that first one. The point for me though, is that Andy has put himself on the line in majors again and again since he got to that first final in 2008. I think it is safe to say that every year since then he has been in a good position in at least one of the majors, and sometimes more than one. It takes strength of character and not a little courage to put yourself in a position again when you have gone through the pain of losing. That's why I always believed that one day the door would open to Andy, and now that door is wide open, and I can't see it closing again, not for a good long while.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »