Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How many slams? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Reply
Author Topic: How many slams?  (Read 6051 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: How many slams? « Reply #180 on: September 22, 2012, 08:43 PM »

Yep, janetx and we all know what winning does to confidence and that losing leaves  you "wounded" and in need of a holiday Whistle
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: How many slams? « Reply #181 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46 PM »

Indeed. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #182 on: September 22, 2012, 11:52 PM »

I agree with you Alis.  Brad Gilbert once described Andy as a "tactical genius", which is fine, but unless a player has the right mental attitude he will only be able to go so far, and that was what happened with Andy.  I believe it was the 2010 AO defeat that started the downward mental spiral.  It certainly knocked the stuffing out of him and it's taken someone like Lendl to get him back to believing that he deserves his place in the top four, and Andy proved it not only by winning Olympic gold but finally winning his maiden Slam.  He knows he still has to work on certain aspects of his game, but now that particular monkey has been taken off his back, he can focus fully on doing just that.

If ever there was any luck in tennis it had to be during the Murray/Berdych match.  I'm not denigrating Andy's performance but there's no doubt that gale force wind played it's part in that match.  Andy coped magnificently but that didn't stop balls heading close to the outside lines from being blown either out or in!  The comms I was listening to were quite impressed!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: How many slams? « Reply #183 on: September 23, 2012, 06:48 AM »

Yes, but......Andy had already beaten Berdych earlier in the year on hard. Also, Andy's serve was as much disrupted as B's. Still not convinced, I think you make you're own luck.
Even with net cords, you're playing so you skim the top of the net, lots of skill there.
I suppose.......Wink if your opponents all drop out on the way to the final, that could be called "lucky," but that often seems to be countered by being less match sharp.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: How many slams? « Reply #184 on: September 23, 2012, 09:47 AM »

I think the Gods have been smiling on Andy at this year Olym and USO.

1. At the Olympic, good old Delpo keeping Fed out on court for so long serving to stay in the tournament 12 times must have drained Fed enormously.

2. At the USO, having the extra day off before the final really helped Andy to recover and be at his best for the final. The swirling wind helps to move the ball around making it difficult to position correctly and increased Berdych error count as the guy likes to hit it big. A defensive slice has much bigger margin for error so Andy versatile style is at a great advantage.

However, at the end of the day, I would say that Andy made his own luck by thrashing Raonic before being hit by rain and being mentally strong and coming back and win all those 5 tiebreaks. To come out and win the 5th set after being pulled back to 2 sets all indicates a focused and strong mind even with torn toe nails and the body hurting. At last, Andy has gained the mind of a Champion, fully focused on the task at hand.

I am looking forward to enjoying many more GSs and other titles in the future.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #185 on: September 23, 2012, 04:34 PM »

Good comments Philip. Smile

I suppose.......Wink if your opponents all drop out on the way to the final, that could be called "lucky," but that often seems to be countered by being less match sharp.
Well Andy's path has been smoothed in the past by threatening opponents dropping out or being unexpectedly beaten, and it's done him no favours.  He certainly didn't exactly shine in the Miami final after Raonic and Nadal pulled out.

IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #186 on: September 24, 2012, 03:35 PM »

If ever there was any luck in tennis it had to be during the Murray/Berdych match.  I'm not denigrating Andy's performance but there's no doubt that gale force wind played it's part in that match.

Cobblers. Its an outdoor tournament. Sometimes its windy, sometimes its not. Sometimes its hot. Sometimes its cold. The players just have to adjust their play to suit the conditions. There was no luck involved.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: How many slams? « Reply #187 on: September 24, 2012, 03:39 PM »

Well said, Big Nose. The elements affect both players, the one who can use them better to his advantage will reap the benefits
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: How many slams? « Reply #188 on: September 24, 2012, 03:41 PM »

What!? I guess you understand that if a player beats several higher ranked players on the way to a QF or SF he's there on merit. ie. he's proved himself the best player (so far). Better than the higher-ranked players he's beaten. So if Andy ends up playing this guy in a semi-final how is Andy lucky?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: How many slams? « Reply #189 on: September 24, 2012, 06:31 PM »

Well said, Big Nose. The elements affect both players, the one who can use them better to his advantage will reap the benefits
I was only referring to the aspect of "luck", not commenting on either player's performance.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: How many slams? « Reply #190 on: September 24, 2012, 06:53 PM »

What!? I guess you understand that if a player beats several higher ranked players on the way to a QF or SF he's there on merit. ie. he's proved himself the best player (so far). Better than the higher-ranked players he's beaten. So if Andy ends up playing this guy in a semi-final how is Andy lucky?

I don't believe in "luck." Didn't u read back? I was being facetious.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »