Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

How would your life be if Murray didn't exist?

(Read 3439 times)
dex
Futures Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #60 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05 PM »

Andy, Djokovic, Del Potro and Tsonga are my favourites. I want all these guys to win unless they are playing Andy.

Watching Andy is only one of my obsessions. I am equally into Formula 1 and have been for years. Then snooker in the winter months keeps me going.  But I also go fishing and cycling and best of all, hill walking in Scotland which I’ve been doing since the 1970s’.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #61 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58 PM »

The only sportsmen other than Andy that I've followed to this extent was Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley in the NBA. I haven't followed the NBA in the same way since, more of a casual fan of the game now.

I'm sure they'll be another player that I will follow after Andy hangs up his racquet (most likely Dimitrov), but like MJ and CB, they'll won't another AM. It'll be a sad sad day when Fed/Rafa/Nole/Andy are done. This really will be the tennis golden era.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #62 on: August 18, 2013, 10:59 PM »

I would be less bitter Think
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #63 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04 PM »

I would be less bitter Think

lol
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 12:50 AM »

When Andy retires I will follow Laura Robson more if he never played wouldn't have spent hours watching screaming at TV sounding like mad woman
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #65 on: August 22, 2013, 12:54 AM »

When Andy retires I will follow Laura Robson more if he never played wouldn't have spent hours watching screaming at TV sounding like mad woman

Those hours are worth it in the end :p
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #66 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39 AM »

^ very true!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08 AM »

Now there's a woman I can identify with!
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Now there's a woman I can identify with!

thanks guys xxx
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 09:52 AM »

I would'nt be half asleep this morning having been up since 2am listening to the match against Istomin I need my head testing
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #70 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34 AM »

I would'nt be half asleep this morning having been up since 2am listening to the match against Istomin I need my head testing

Yep Wink we all do!  although I didn't stay up for it I awoke about 4 and curiosity got the better of me after checking scores so I watched last set then straight back to sleep. Feel OK this morn thankfully.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #71 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35 AM »

I was in no hurry to find the score this morning, got up  had a shower and dressed before putting TV on and checked the txt on BBC, tennis headlines "Andy battles into Quarters". I made myself a cup of tea and savoured the moment before opening up the item to get Andy's details and score.

12 months ago, I was waking in the middle of the night and putting the telly on to check to score on txt. to find that he was down a set and maybe a break. I'd switch off try and sleep a little, then repeat the process of checking the score line...

Now Andy is a two time grand slam winner I am more relaxed, if he does not win the USO this year he'll still start next year as the Wimbledon Champion.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #72 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34 PM »

I probably wouldn't be a tennis follower at all, nor indeed would I have become (somewhat belatedly in life) a tennis player.

I used to follow Tim Henman at Wimbledon, supporting the British player.  Angiebabez said something similar earlier in the thread, about supporting the Brit, and someone took offence at this notion - I don't understand why.  Why wouldn't we support a home-grown player?  But I didn't really follow the tour other than that.

Then, as Tim's star began to wane, along came the young man from Dunblane - not only British, but Scottish no less!  And with such natural ability and flair!  What a terrfic player he was, and is, to watch.

I became hooked in 2008, after the first Master's win, and then his first GS final, in New York.  I wasn't too worried or disapponted after that first GS final loss to our Swiss 'friend', because I felt that it wouldn't be too long until the 70-odd year wait for a British GS champion would be over.  Little did we know that four long, long years would pass, and three more finals would come, and go, before the dream was realised.

My son was growing up during these years, becoming a teenager.  We both followed Andy from that point on.  Then the boy started to play a bit of tennis, and I thought I'd have a go at it myself.  Now, I play at least three, four times a week.  I sure as Hades ain't particularly good at it, but I love it!  It's very social, I've made friends, it helps me keep fit.  We even take balls and racquets when we go on holiday and actively seek a hotel or resort with courts.  Our favourite holiday place near Marbella has clay courts, and that is truly terrific fun.

I'd have had none of this if it hadn't been for Andy.

Then, there is the pure unadulterated drama, tension, and euphoria of following a sporting hero as he achieves the summit of his sport.  The Olympic gold medal - who could ever forget that final ace to take his revengr from the Fed for the Wimbledon disappointment of a month earlier!  The US open last year - that final return from Djokovic, drifting long over the baseline at around 02.05 in the morning. Or 07 July 2013 - that final game.  Good God - I honestly don't think I'll ever experience anything remotely like this again. I've said this before elsewhere on this forum, and I'll say it again - this is the greatest single sporting achievement by a British sportsman, and the greatest sporting moment, of my entire lifetime.  Bar nothing.  And I ain't no spring chicken.

During this time, I've attended three Davis Cup matches in Glasgow, and have had terriffic experiences, including seeing Andy play "live."  Fantastic!  Without Andy, I probably wouldn't have even noticed that the event was on locally.

How would my life be in Andy didn't exist?  There's a simple, one word answer.

"Poorer."

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #73 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24 PM »

Great post once again mickeypops! Your story is somewhat similar to mine, I too toke up tennis in my forties after being inspired by Andy. Your right what a great way to keep fit/make new friends and get out and about in the fresh air when weather permits.

I'm also not that great even with continuous coaching for a year but heck who gives a feck if your enjoying it eh Wink I now play tennis probably as often as I watch it and this is all down to Andy.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: How would your life be if Murray didn't exist? « Reply #74 on: September 04, 2013, 05:53 PM »

That's exactly how I feel about playing Angiebabez.  To begin with, I was a little shy, everyone seemed so much better than me and when there were social evenings where the coach rotated partners every 20 minutes or so, I would be embarrased that my poor skills would be an annoyance to my partner.  But not a bit of it!  I can honestly say that everyone in the club I attend has been brilliant.  Over the last couple of years I've slowly got a little better and can begin to hold my own with at least some of my partners.  Of course, the club has its "superstars" but they're great people, not at all snooty which is what you fear when you start out.

Like you, I was inspired by Andy.  I bet you're the same as me.   Everyone once in a while, very occasionally, you see the ball come over the net at you, your mind's eye sees where you want it to go, you strike the ball so sweetly, and it skims over the net, the topspin brings in down in the court, leaving your opponent for dead.  Just like Andy!

What a feeling!

MP
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »