Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  If Andy wants to beat Rafa consistently he needs to treat him like he does Djoko 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

If Andy wants to beat Rafa consistently he needs to treat him like he does Djoko

(Read 2136 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

For me, quite a lot of the struggle for Andy has been in his head, and not with his tennis.  I really do think he will now have the confidence to to beat anyone.  Rafa is the one who needs to be a little afraid the next time he meets Andy. 
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

There's no shame in losing to Nadal, everyone has a bad h2h against him.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

There's no shame in losing to Nadal, everyone has a bad h2h against him.
Totally - but I don't think Rafa will be an issue any more for Andy.  Just don't see it.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

I can't wait for them to meet - preferably when Nadal's fully fit. I just don't think Andy fears anyone right now.

I suppose you'd have to favour Rafa on clay though - probably....
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Good posting!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

For me, quite a lot of the struggle for Andy has been in his head, and not with his tennis.  I really do think he will now have the confidence to to beat anyone.  Rafa is the one who needs to be a little afraid the next time he meets Andy. 

That's exactly what I was suggesting. I think Andy's issue hasn't been his tennis as such, but his belief in himself. I don't think the belief is an issue now, not against anyone.

As I said before, I sense that Rafa has always been aware of what Andy could do, and has known he's needed to play his best for that reason. I think Rafa will be very wary indeed when they meet again.

I have to admit that the thought of Andy playing Rafa (or Fed for that matter) used to frighten the life out of me. It doesn't frighten me now. I'm not suggesting it's easier, but Andy just looks so different out there now, gives off such confident vibes. It makes the thought of these match-ups quite fascinating.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

I agree TJ Rafa is very wary of Andy always has been since AO 2007 probably, he knows how good Andy could be, and now is.

Rafa used to be stonger mentally in the big moments, but I can see those roles being reversed now. Rafa has shown vulnerability even on clay so on a HC I can imagine it will be andy's match to lose.

Once Andy starts beating Rafa regularly who knows maybe they won't be such good friends....Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Apparently Andy and Rafa will be practising with each other over the weekend.
Really feel Andy likes/respects Rafa far too much.
Come on Andy, time to whack him.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Fear not.  Andy will be using it as a chance to assess how he's playing, and if he has any limitations to his movement. cmon yeah

And trolling all of the fans who get worked up about whether or not their favourite is the most loved by or gets along with other players.  lol
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

I think it's a good thing for Andy to practise with Rafa - he gets a high-level practice session that way without the stress of a match. I remember him practising with Rafa before Monte Carlo in 2011 and then almost beat him in their match there - so it could be a good omen.

I don't think Andy's friendship with Rafa is the reason for his record against him. Rafa was simply better than him at the time - more mentally strong and better able to last in the long rallies. But even then, they were pretty evenly matched on hardcourts. It's the matchup I'm most looking forward to seeing now - hope it happens in Montreal.
IP Logged
Miss Cellany

I've observed that most of the time when Andy loses its because he's allowed the opponent / umpire / line calls to intimidate him, annoy him or otherwise "get into his head" and break his concentration. Andy is an intelligent player and his game relies very heavily on him spotting his opponents strategy and shots and countering with a tactical play. If he's lost concentration he cannot do this effectively and he loses, or scrapes through by the skin of his teeth.

Recently he has been FAR better at keeping his cool and ignoring distractions. I applaud him for this and hope this can continue in future as it allows us to see his brilliant tennis that is so riveting to watch.

I don't think its because he respects Rafa so much that he loses often to him; I think its more like he is intimidated by Rafa's undeniably great record and skill... but he shouldn't be, because Andy DOES have the ability to beat Rafa, if only he can keep his head Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »