Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  If the cap fits! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

If the cap fits!

(Read 3244 times)
dumachu5

If the cap fits! « on: October 28, 2005, 01:08 PM »

First message  :? so go easy!

Does anyone else think that Andy should lose the cap? I don't mind it, but I am struggling to remember any Grand Slam champion that wore a cap other than Hewitt, Roddick and Courier.

Maybe he is just a bit shy at the moment.
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Welcome « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 01:14 PM »

I think he feels comfortable in a baseball cap, so I wouldn't criticise him personally. If his hair gets any thicker though, he won't be able to wear it!   wink

I criticised him earlier about walking on to court with his personal radio playing. To me that shows he isn't focused and I'm pleased he's stopped that....no doubt he was given advice.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

If the cap fits! « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 01:32 PM »

I think he looks alot better with the cap on because it covers up his hair and makes it look less bit lol, and he suits it that way.

As for the ipod, I think he shuda kept with it.  Music can be inspiring and motifating, and I think it showed his youth aswell.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

If the cap fits! « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 05:01 PM »

Quote from: "alc.aka.amyc"
I think he looks alot better with the cap on because it covers up his hair and makes it look less bit lol, and he suits it that way.

As for the ipod, I think he shuda kept with it.  Music can be inspiring and motifating, and I think it showed his youth aswell.

I agree, there was a recent article , if I can remember correctly, with research showing that listening to music to motivate you can improve an athletes performance by 20%, it also mentioned Murray.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

If the cap fits! « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:17 PM »

lol whatever works works. i'm sure there was a damn good reason he got rid of it Smile

but i do agree that music has the power to completely change your mood Very Happy
IP Logged
cutiepie

If the cap fits! « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 05:26 PM »

i read that Andy has ditched the ipod cos he was told its not very grown up Idea
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

If the cap fits! « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 05:29 PM »

Quote from: "cutiepie"
i read that Andy has ditched the ipod cos he was told its not very grown up Idea

lol, what?! whoever told him that is a fool Wink it is the height of cool! damnit i am damn cool with  my i-pod mini!!  8)
throwing your racquet is not very grown up, but lots of players do it and it helps relieve frustration.....
IP Logged
cutiepie

If the cap fits! « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 05:58 PM »

i agree! still he is young and impressionable and i guess he figures if older and more experienced people tell him something he should bare it in mind Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

If the cap fits! « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 06:45 PM »

Music can motivate you in the locker room, but once you move on the court, you need to be aware of the environment and your opponent and even the umpire!...and that is using your senses, as an advantage to winning the match. How many players in the top 20, do you see listening to ipods on the way out to the court? Wise people have told him it's not the best thing to do and I agree.  Smile Learn from the best.
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

If the cap fits! « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:14 PM »

8)  I'm with David on this one. Music before and after the match, iPod firmly left in the locker room.

I'm racking my brains here, but who was the player who used to have bits of paper with words of inspiration on them? Sampras, Agassi, Venus?

Frown My mind's gone a total blank.

Whatever, or whoever, that seems like a sensible tactic. Smile
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

If the cap fits! « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 11:16 PM »

Embarassed  Oops, sorry. Welcome dumachu5

I suppose you have tickets to see Andy as you live in Aberdeen?

No fair. Frown
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

If the cap fits! « Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 12:18 PM »

I'm racking my brains here, but who was the player who used to have bits of paper with words of inspiration on them? Sampras, Agassi, Venus?

I don't know that one. The only ritual I remember was the 'meditation' that Arthur Ashe used to do in between games.

iPod firmly left in the locker room.

I would also call it bad manners towards your opponent, when walking out, on to the court. I remember one of Andy's matches, when the umpire and his opponent were waiting for him to do the toss up at the net and he appeared in another world, listening to the music. They both chuckled when he finally got off his seat and wandered over.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

If the cap fits! « Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 12:24 PM »

Quote from: "Tally"
8)  I'm with David on this one. Music before and after the match, iPod firmly left in the locker room.

ok...beginning to see what you mean about the ipod Very Happy

i'm pretty sure Venus used to do that thing with bits of paper - i seem to remember her doing it at Wimbledon a couple of years ago Smile
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

If the cap fits! « Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 07:06 PM »

It was both Sampras AND Venus. (so I've been told on another forum) I do remember Sampras now. Aggi too IIRC.

Embarassed  Whoops, not important. I just love trivia. But I have the match where Pete pulled out a note from his bag and turned his flagging energy around on vid. I must watch it again soon. Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

If the cap fits! « Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 11:14 PM »

"I'm racking my brains here, but who was the player who used to have bits of paper with words of inspiration on them? Sampras, Agassi, Venus?"

Wasn't it one of the Williams's sisters?

Andy should stick to what he's comfortable with - as he gets older, he may not wear a hat, it might be just a phase that he's going through - whilst he's playing brilliant tennis, and as 'the hat' has no bearing on how he plays, then who cares about the hat!  wthell
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »