Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  In the eyes of the Bookies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: In the eyes of the Bookies  (Read 1399 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

In the eyes of the Bookies « on: January 15, 2006, 06:12 PM »

I bought the Sunday Express before I went to work today and there was a article on Andy, and it was so negative towards him I was shocked because they are usually supportive.  Anyway, I checked the odds on the tennis at work because they have price for each match of the first round at the Aussie Open, and this is what I found:

Murray vs Chela
Murray to win - 8/13
Chela to win - 6/5

I worked it out and the odds are favourating Murray to win, so while newspapers are saying he'll most definately loose, bookies reckon he'll win.

And the Henman match (which newspapers are also saying he'll loose) is as follows:

Henman vs Tursunov
Henman to win - 8/11
Tursunov to win - EVS

Also works out as bookies favorating Henman to win!

Got a few more prices on one or two players but I won't bore you, but I will say this ... Federer is 1/100 to win his match against Istamin who is 16/1 to win.
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Re: In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 06:29 PM »

Quote from: "alc.aka.amyc"
I bought the Sunday Express before I went to work today and there was a article on Andy, and it was so negative towards him I was shocked because they are usually supportive.  Anyway, I checked the odds on the tennis at work because they have price for each match of the first round at the Aussie Open, and this is what I found:

Murray vs Chela
Murray to win - 8/13
Chela to win - 6/5

I worked it out and the odds are favourating Murray to win, so while newspapers are saying he'll most definately loose, bookies reckon he'll win.

And the Henman match (which newspapers are also saying he'll loose) is as follows:

Henman vs Tursunov
Henman to win - 8/11
Tursunov to win - EVS

Also works out as bookies favorating Henman to win!

Got a few more prices on one or two players but I won't bore you, but I will say this ... Federer is 1/100 to win his match against Istamin who is 16/1 to win.

That's interesting. I think Andy can do it!

Oh! and the odds on Federer  shocking It's just not worth ANYONE backing that for what it would give back lol
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:30 PM »

That's really interesting, thanks  goodjob
Although, i have no idea what any of those odds mean.... so thanks for making it clear  goodjob
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:39 PM »

I thought I'd better add a little narrative for those who have no idea on betting odds (that was me 10 months ago!)

To help out a little bit I'll put on stakes on and the winnings back:

Murray £1 to win @ 8/13 = £1.61

Chela £1 to win @ 6/5 = £2.20

Henman £1 to win @ 8/11 = £1.73

Tursunov £1 to win @ EVS (1/1) = £2.00

Federer £1 to win @ 1/100 = £1.01 (not worth the bother like Tennis-Player said)

Istomin £1 to win @ 16/1 = £17.00
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 06:58 PM »

Hmmmm.... i think i get it  Think  But i guess it's just one of those things that i'll never fully understand  Whistle
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 07:12 PM »

Yea. im bit in the dark here to, Annie. (what a suprise.. it's us 2 again) Wink

I sort of get it Rolling Eyes ..the prices made it a bit more clearer probably.  dontknow

But i'll go with the bookies. Smile hopefully the damn press is wrong and Andy will win!!  goodjob
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 07:16 PM »

Just been checking up on Chela. He's had a very wobbly few months, so hopefully his confidence will be zilch.

And as we all know, Andy isn't short of that commodity. Very Happy

I'm getting more and more optimistic about this one.

Oh and if you get to watch it, check out Chela's serve. The action is seriously weird  retard  though a few Argentinians serve the same way.  #-o
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 07:38 PM »

Quote from: "top_spin"

I sort of get it Rolling Eyes ..the prices made it a bit more clearer probably.  dontknow

But i'll go with the bookies. Smile hopefully the damn press is wrong and Andy will win!!  goodjob

Lol.... go us!!  goodjob  But i've never understood the whole thing..... an ex once tried to explain it to me.... but i still don't get it  dontknow

Let's hope Andy can win it!!  goodjob
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 08:11 PM »

Quote from: "Banannie"
Quote from: "top_spin"

Lol.... go us!!  goodjob  But i've never understood the whole thing..... an ex once tried to explain it to me.... but i still don't get it  dontknow

Let's hope Andy can win it!!  goodjob

It's really very simple. Just think of it like this - The first number before the slash tells you how much you'd get back when placing a bet at the amount that's after the slash. That might sound quite confusing but take a look at these examples and I'm sure it'll make it a lot clearer...

Examples

Let's say if someone has odds of 2/1. That means that for every £1 you bet, you'd get £2 back in winnings if they won. In the same way, at odds of 16/1, for every £1 you put on you'd get back £16.

In the Federer match, odds of 1/100 means that for every £100 you put on you'd get back £1 in winnings.  shocking  

Also remember that you get back your stake.

So if I placed £1 on someone to win at 4/1 then I'd get back £4 in winnings plus my £1 initial stake.

That make it any clearer? Smile
IP Logged
h_o_l
Futures Level

I jist push stuff araaaahhhhnnd

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 08:22 PM »

Omg id never understood that before! cheers...
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 08:36 PM »

Quote from: "Tennis-Player"

Errrrmmm..... kinda, thanks  goodjob
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 10:03 PM »

Thanks for explaining...

although err... I don't think i'll ever understand it.  Rolling Eyes Quite confusing.
IP Logged
h_o_l
Futures Level

I jist push stuff araaaahhhhnnd

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 10:07 PM »

so when sum 1 says thats 100/1 thats a realy unlikely bet because ud get £100 in return! its all becoming clear...
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 10:32 PM »

Quote from: "Tennis-Player"
It's really very simple. Just think of it like this - The first number before the slash tells you how much you'd get back when placing a bet at the amount that's after the slash. That might sound quite confusing but take a look at these examples and I'm sure it'll make it a lot clearer...

Examples

Let's say if someone has odds of 2/1. That means that for every £1 you bet, you'd get £2 back in winnings if they won. In the same way, at odds of 16/1, for every £1 you put on you'd get back £16.

In the Federer match, odds of 1/100 means that for every £100 you put on you'd get back £1 in winnings.  shocking  

Also remember that you get back your stake.

So if I placed £1 on someone to win at 4/1 then I'd get back £4 in winnings plus my £1 initial stake.

Wow, thanks, I understand now!!!
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 10:43 PM »

Quote from: "h_o_l"
so when sum 1 says thats 100/1 thats a realy unlikely bet because ud get £100 in return! its all becoming clear...

Yes they would if they put a £1 stake (plus they'd get their £1 back so it would be £101).  If the stake was £2 the winnings would be £202.  But your right, the higher the odds, like 100/1 the less likely it is to win.

Like, Andy to win the Australian Open title is 66/1, and Tim is 100/1.  So Andy is more likely to win it compared to Tim.  Sorry if this confuses you anymore.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »