Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  In the eyes of the Bookies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

In the eyes of the Bookies

(Read 1568 times)
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 11:06 PM »

the only thing is that bookies dont just do odds on what they actually think the score will be.they weigh up how much they would lose and whos most likely to be bet on.so the fact that most ppl would back andy and tim means they wont give great odds cos if andy and tim do win (which is certainly not unlikely although not as certain as the odds may make it appear) they would lose a lot of money
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 11:14 PM »

Quote from: "top_spin"
Thanks for explaining...

although err... I don't think i'll ever understand it.  Rolling Eyes Quite confusing.

Lol.... ditto  Whistle
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 11:15 PM »

Quote from: "iaintheviolaplayer"
the only thing is that bookies dont just do odds on what they actually think the score will be.they weigh up how much they would lose and whos most likely to be bet on.so the fact that most ppl would back andy and tim means they wont give great odds cos if andy and tim do win (which is certainly not unlikely although not as certain as the odds may make it appear) they would lose a lot of money

I was thinking the same thing!
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 11:17 PM »

yeah they make up their odds in a very complicated way.
for anyone even more confused i apologise, but as an example, if andy or tim were playing federer in the final of a tournament (especially wimbledon) then the bookies odds would prob indicate that andy or tim would win (or greg for that matter) whereas in all liklihood they would lose
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 11:20 PM »

Absolutely  yes
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 11:22 PM »

thanks. im glad i got that right cos i was almost confusing myself
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 11:23 PM »

I'm not sure either, but it sounds right!
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 08:57 AM »

Quote from: "iaintheviolaplayer"
yeah they make up their odds in a very complicated way.
for anyone even more confused i apologise, but as an example, if andy or tim were playing federer in the final of a tournament (especially wimbledon) then the bookies odds would prob indicate that andy or tim would win (or greg for that matter) whereas in all liklihood they would lose

Not really, if Tim or Andy where playing Federer in the Final, the odds would be for Federer to win because he's the better player and Tim or Andy have no chance.  Though if Federer was playing a better player, the odds would be very close.  It doesn't matter that people would bet on them because they are British, a betters sole reason for betting is to earn a profit.  Not be supportive.
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

In the eyes of the Bookies « Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 02:36 PM »

yes but that follows the same way for the bookies.in all liklihood there would be very short odds on both of them but the odds on the british player WOULD be shorter than they should be in relation to how likely the players are to win.note that this would only be the case in britain though as outside of britain there would be less biased betting.so in fact it does matter that ppl would bet on them cos theyre british because this does happen an awful lot.the bookies have to find good odds to minimise their losses in the case of an upset and to tempt ppll to actually bet.btw although it may sound like it im not an avid gambler (i dont actually gamble at all) i just know how the industry works both from having been told and from common capitalist business sense
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »