Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 7 (18.9%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (56.8%)
Raonic in 2. - 6 (16.2%)
Raonic in 3. - 3 (8.1%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] Go Down Reply
Author

BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic

(Read 9745 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1020 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41 PM »

I think he just has a confidence problem with crossing the finish line. If you look at his wins recently they have mainly been when he comes back after losing the 1st set, so his mindset will be different to when he actually wins the 1st set. Proof of this is his losses here and the one to Dimitrov where in both he was playing better from the start.

This was often the case in Australia too - probably comes from being so long away from playing and crossing the finish line. Despite the losses his play is progressing, it just all needs to click into place in asustained way. It will come.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1021 on: March 14, 2014, 09:56 PM »

I have the match DVR'd but I haven't watched it. I don't like to watch losing matches.   I'm sad that Andy lost and I hope things get better for him.  I would have loved to see him play this weekend, something to look forward to, but oh well....  lots of good players went out so I guess it's no biggy.  Glad to read some positive posts.

Have a good weekend everyone!!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1022 on: March 14, 2014, 09:59 PM »

Be fair Tessie, Raonic is a three-trick pony. Wink. Big serve, big forehand, and very little going on between the ears. It seems to me as if he plays a sort of hit and hope game, which, as far as I'm concerned, is painful to watch. He's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Judging by what I've read, Andy was disappointed he lost. He readily admitted he wasn't good enough in the third. My take on it is that in the second he saw the finish line and rushed himself too much. Maybe that indicates that the confidence isn't where he wants it just now. I'm not going to worry just yet. It won't be long before the flashes of brilliance we've seen become the norm again. As long as Andy doesn't get down on himself too much he'll be fine.
   Interesting take on what was in some senses a fascinating game. Andy seems at a loss as to why he lost from such a strong position, and Milos is reported ( don't have the source) to be surprised he won. Perhaps it was a perfect storm for Andy - unpopular tourney, unpopular time of day, poor judgement at critical points, and damn bad luck.  Perhaps Miami will be a better test of where he really is just now. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1023 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01 PM »

Be fair Tessie, Raonic is a three-trick pony. Wink. Big serve, big forehand, and very little going on between the ears. It seems to me as if he plays a sort of hit and hope game, which, as far as I'm concerned, is painful to watch. He's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Judging by what I've read, Andy was disappointed he lost. He readily admitted he wasn't good enough in the third. My take on it is that in the second he saw the finish line and rushed himself too much. Maybe that indicates that the confidence isn't where he wants it just now. I'm not going to worry just yet. It won't be long before the flashes of brilliance we've seen become the norm again. As long as Andy doesn't get down on himself too much he'll be fine.
lol  I think we can add big ego to that.  He's in danger of becoming insufferable if somebody doesn't sit on him soon.  Thinks his serve is the greatest thing around.  Maybe though his loss to the Dog might have disabused him of that idea!

I'm not worried about Andy right now.  It's not as though the signs of the superb tennis we know he can play have disappeared because they definitely haven't.  He did seem downhearted and a bit puzzled as to why he went into meltdown in the 3rd set, but said he thought it could be due to lack of confidence - or maybe you could be right.   I don't think he'll get down on himself, at least not for too long though because he won't be allowed to as Lendl and his team will see to that - and then there's Kim and his beloved doggies to console him.  Also he really enjoys Miami and of course he can enjoy all the usual home comforts while he's there, so that will be a big plus.

Anyway I've long since learned that what players say in interviews so soon after a defeat is best forgotten, and I think it's a little unfair that they're expected to give them because initial feelings of disappointment will usually go away fairly quickly once the heat of battle is over.  I'm not applying this to major defeats btw but to the more minor ones such as this, and losing a R4 match because you've played a duff 3rd set isn't exactly a crisis, although if some on here were to be believed it was tantamount to total disaster. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1024 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13 PM »

lol  I think we can add big ego to that.  He's in danger of becoming insufferable if somebody doesn't sit on him soon.  Thinks his serve is the greatest thing around.  Maybe though his loss to the Dog might have disabused him of that idea!

I'm not worried about Andy right now.  It's not as though the signs of the superb tennis we know he can play have disappeared because they definitely haven't.  He did seem downhearted and a bit puzzled as to why he went into meltdown in the 3rd set, but said he thought it could be due to lack of confidence - or maybe you could be right.   I don't think he'll get down on himself, at least not for too long though because he won't be allowed to as Lendl and his team will see to that - and then there's Kim and his beloved doggies to console him.  Also he really enjoys Miami and of course he can enjoy all the usual home comforts while he's there, so that will be a big plus.

Anyway I've long since learned that what players say in interviews so soon after a defeat is best forgotten, and I think it's a little unfair that they're expected to give them because initial feelings of disappointment will usually go away fairly quickly once the heat of battle is over.  I'm not applying this to major defeats btw but to the more minor ones such as this, and losing a R4 match because you've played a duff 3rd set isn't exactly a crisis, although if some on here were to be believed it was tantamount to total disaster. Rolling Eyes
Well said I agree with all three paragraphs. All will be well.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1025 on: March 15, 2014, 06:57 AM »

@TJ
Raonic's parents are both engineers and apparently he reads and reads when off court. In fact, during the match Fleming and Petch were suggesting he "thinks too much." 
So,  there probably is something "between the ears." 
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1026 on: March 15, 2014, 08:45 AM »

Raonic looks a little dumb, to my mind, which might be misleading. Reflects his game style.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1027 on: March 15, 2014, 08:56 AM »

Oh, if only criminals  looked like criminals...think what we'd all save in police wages.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1028 on: March 15, 2014, 09:46 AM »

Oh, if only criminals  looked like criminals...think what we'd all save in police wages.
   Very Happy  Didn't you know their eyes are set wider apart?  Seriously I'd be more concerned about the chubbiness factor in Raonic's case. Fewer words, more yards I'd say!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1029 on: March 15, 2014, 10:07 AM »

Very Happy  Didn't you know their eyes are set wider apart?  Seriously I'd be more concerned about the chubbiness factor in Raonic's case. Fewer words, more yards I'd say!
Oh.....I thought their eyes were too close together and eh.......shifty looking!  Wink
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1030 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25 AM »

@TJ
Raonic's parents are both engineers and apparently he reads and reads when off court. In fact, during the match Fleming and Petch were suggesting he "thinks too much." 

I knew his parents are engineers. I don't know, maybe he does over think, but his game style does look a bit hit and hope a lot of the time, as if there is no thought to it.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1031 on: March 15, 2014, 03:49 PM »

@TJ
Was just going to say the same.  He's supposed to be pretty bright.  And, while I dislike him and his game, I do think he has learned from the drubbing Andy gave him at USO a couple of years ago.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1032 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30 AM »

Raonic looks a little dumb, to my mind, which might be misleading. Reflects his game style.
Sampras always looked half-baked to me, the way he kept his mouth hanging open all the time, and I never did like his game style either despite all the success he had with it, so maybe the two do go together. lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1033 on: March 16, 2014, 04:48 PM »

ditto Aileen - interestingly I thought he looked better now he's older when he was playing Agassi on World Tennis Day. Seemed to have learned to close his mouth. Finished watching my recording of that last night and it was lovely to see Agassi still hitting the ball so well.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: BNP Paribas Open 2014 R4: Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic « Reply #1034 on: March 16, 2014, 08:07 PM »

ditto Aileen - interestingly I thought he looked better now he's older when he was playing Agassi on World Tennis Day. Seemed to have learned to close his mouth. Finished watching my recording of that last night and it was lovely to see Agassi still hitting the ball so well.
I used to wonder if maybe had a breathing problem, so if he had it could have been sorted out.  I'm sorry I missed WTD though because I always liked Agassi.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »