Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray at the moment the second best tennis player?
YES - 17 (70.8%)
NO - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment?  (Read 3086 times)
sickboy1888
Junior

Got to say if you asked me that question 2 months ago I would have said he was by far the second best player in the world and would be for the next few years if not even the number 1.

Now I got to say that Nadal is back to such a level that I fully expect him to be number 2 then number 1 by the end of September time officially and if I am being honest he is at the moment the worlds number 2 in all but name. 

He is only a few ranking points behind Novak at the moment in the Race rankings and its only the fact the Novak won the Oz Open that he wasn't fit to play that allows him to be still be ahead of that.

On a positive vibe mind I reckon the 3 of them are now opening a gap between themselves and the rest (Especially once Andy gets off this silly clay) and don't think any of the rest including Federer are going to be close to them by the time we get to the O2.Expect this year could be the start of the Big 3 for a while  yay

Any thoughts?
[ Last edit by sickboy1888 May 11, 2013, 11:36 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

At this point in time no it certainly doesn't seem like he is, although only I think because we are in the clay court season which is never gonna be his favourite or best. And I think ultimately may be what stops him ever claiming the number 1 spot Frown but I dearly hope I'm proved wrong. That said once we get back on to grass/hard court season we all may have a completely different view on this. Nadal has still to prove his worth on other courts properly yet. (Since his injury time out of course)
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Nadal has still to prove his worth on other courts properly yet. (Since his injury time out of course)

I got to be honest and say if it was only the Clay Courts that he was doing well in then I would have reserved judgement but remember he won a Masters title on Hard Court a week before Andy won his. So I fully expect Nadal to challenge for Hard Court Titles and even Wimbledon throughout the rest of the year

The only thing that could stop him is his knees?
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

The rankings say he is but he is not playing like a world no 2. The surface yes is a major factor, but also his game has staggered/regressed even on HC, and he is playing big points badly.

i'm not too concerned I have full faith that Andy will get himself together when it really matters.

Novak has had indifferent performances this year , but somehow i doubt he'll be losing to the likes of Haas and Dimitrov at RG, he'll peak when it matters. the true top players do.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

I got to be honest and say if it was only the Clay Courts that he was doing well in then I would have reserved judgement but remember he won a Masters title on Hard Court a week before Andy won his. So I fully expect Nadal to challenge for Hard Court Titles and even Wimbledon throughout the rest of the year

The only thing that could stop him is his knees?

Yeah that's true but correct me if I'm wrong but there wasn't any other top players in that tournament? Was there  confused
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

t to De
Yeah that's true but correct me if I'm wrong but there wasn't any other top players in that tournament? Was there  confused

Sorry but you are wrong.

Indian Wells

R64 Ryan Harrison (USA)  73  W 7-6(3), 6-2 Stats
R32 Leonardo Mayer (ARG)  64  W  W/O 
R16 Ernests Gulbis (LAT)  67  W 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 Stats
Q Roger Federer (SUI)  2  W 6-4, 6-2 Stats
S Tomas Berdych (CZE)  6  W 6-4, 7-5 Stats
W Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)  W 4-6, 6-3, 6-4

All the Top 4 Players played that tournament. It was a Masters after all. Andy and Novak both lost to Del Porto.

If anything the week later when Andy won was a slightly weaker field as Federer and Nadal both skipped Miami
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Yeah sorry I was getting totally mixed up with tournaments, time for my bed methinks Smile
Mmm only time will tell I suppose but I for one hope nadal doesn't flourish anymore on grass especially. He has bloody won enough  lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Nadal will never return to #1. Monte Carlo was proof of that. Roland Garros will be further proof.

And yes, Murray is the rightful #2. Rankings are not based on two months of the year. They are based on 12. In the last 12 Murray has won a Slam, made two further Slam finals, won the Olympics, a Masters, made a Masters final and the WTF SFs.

Nadal always has a strong first half of the year. He is one of the two best players on clay in the world, no doubt about it. He usually struggles a bit more in the second half. Is he better than Murray on Grass or Hard? We'll find out, but Murray's achievements in the last 12 months are easily worthy of the #2 rank.

Let's not get carried away based on half of the clay season, please.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter May 12, 2013, 12:56 AM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

The rankings say he is but he is not playing like a world no 2. The surface yes is a major factor, but also his game has staggered/regressed even on HC, and he is playing big points badly.

i'm not too concerned I have full faith that Andy will get himself together when it really matters.

Novak has had indifferent performances this year , but somehow i doubt he'll be losing to the likes of Haas and Dimitrov at RG, he'll peak when it matters. the true top players do.
Really?

I respectfully disagree.

Forget the clay, he's never been great on clay.

First few months of the season, Murray lost just two matches.

W Brisbane
F Australian Open
QF Indian Wells
W Miami

2nd in Race ranks, marginally behind Djokovic, well ahead of everyone else.

The results speak for themselves. The Miami final was poor for the most part, but only because both players served so poorly. Murray was certainly NOT poor for the whole tournament. You don't win a Masters playing crap.

The clay season comes around, and people forget how good Murray is. Then grass comes around, and people claim he's the best in the world. There's a middle ground. The clay season is just two months. Once we're back on to Grass, Murray will prove once again why he's ranked #2 in the world.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Worth noting that Nadal has only played either the top two once since returning.

He got thrashed.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Worth noting that Nadal has only played either the top two once since returning.

He got thrashed.

He beat Federer 6-3 6-4.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

I am not for one minute saying that Andy is not a much better player than this time last year. My point is that Nadal has come back so much stronger than myself and most people thought he would.I just feel that already he has proved himself as perhaps number 2 or even number 1 player in the world.

I know the rankings are based over a year etc and I know its not Andy's or Novak's fault that Nadal missed 6 months of last year but come on even having a average second 6 months last year Nadal would be number 1 by now.

To put into context I actually heard a tennis debate on Talksport just after the Oz Open Final and before Nadal's comeback that it was highly likely that Andy and Novak would be contesting the FO Open final in May as no one else in the world were close to them at the time and they would both be most likely be number 1 & 2 in the world for the next few years as Fed was near the end and Nadal would never be the same player as he was before the injury. yay

How 3 months have changed that's idea totally... confused

As a note to cheer us up someone mentioned the rankings are based over 12 months and this is correct but lets be honest from July last year all the way to the end of the US Open we all thought and quite rightly so that Andy was the number 1 player at the time as he had finished runner up in Wimbledon and won both they Olympics and US Open.  cmon yeah yay yay yay yay yay clap clap clap

It does swing in roundabouts
[ Last edit by sickboy1888 May 12, 2013, 02:09 AM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

I'm not so sure about Nadals dominance, he has certainly done well but he has looked beatable, a few of his matches have been too close to comfort and only his exceptional ability on clay has got him out of trouble, he certainly has been pushed harder by some players than he used too, Gulbis for example, Ferrer 2 days ago, Dimitrov. His results are evidently pointing to a strong comeback but they only tell half the story, let's see how he handles his first major in a year and then how he does in the grass/hard court season before pronounicing him the second best player in the world, i still think he's a bit behind Andy and Novak, let's see if Rafa could handle Andy on a hardcourt over 5 sets, personally i doubt he could keep up.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

I'm not so sure about Nadals dominance, he has certainly done well but he has looked beatable,  i still think he's a bit behind Andy and Novak, let's see if Rafa could handle Andy on a hardcourt over 5 sets, personally i doubt he could keep up.
He may have looked beatable at times but he didn't lose where as Novak,Andy,Federer and Ferrer for that matter have been inconsistent in last 3 months.
But for now Nadal's constitency has been nothing short of remarkable since he has returned.he not failed to make a final since he returned of nay tennis event. Even at his best Andy ash never had the consistency

Yes that will be a big test on a Hardcourt and 5 sets...That's when the true test will tell
[ Last edit by sickboy1888 May 12, 2013, 02:15 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Nadal will never return to #1. Monte Carlo was proof of that. Roland Garros will be further proof.

And yes, Murray is the rightful #2. Rankings are not based on two months of the year. They are based on 12. In the last 12 Murray has won a Slam, made two further Slam finals, won the Olympics, a Masters, made a Masters final and the WTF SFs.

Nadal always has a strong first half of the year. He is one of the two best players on clay in the world, no doubt about it. He usually struggles a bit more in the second half. Is he better than Murray on Grass or Hard? We'll find out, but Murray's achievements in the last 12 months are easily worthy of the #2 rank.

Let's not get carried away based on half of the clay season, please.

I disagree, Nadal has a huge chance of making World Number 1 in the second period of this year. He's already picked up a **** load of points from the golden swing, picked up points from Indian Wells, lost a little in Monte Carlo but defended Barcelona, and will presumably replace the Monte Carlo points he lost with the Madrid title. Nadal is still a threat, whether we like it or not. Right now he's playing better than Andy, he's ahead of him in the race, and has more titles than Andy this season 5-2. Nadal has also reached 7 finals from 7 tournaments, one of which includes hard court, his worst surface, oh and we mustn't forget he won that beating Federer and Del Potro on the way to the title, not bad scalps on a hard court, at all. I honestly don't see how you can write Nadal off and claim he'll never be World Number 1, the guy is ALWAYS a danger and having 7 months off will work in his favour in terms of point collecting. Don't be surprised if Nadal ends the year as World Number 1 and this is a serious prediction. I see Nadal being back at number 1 before Murray ever makes number 1. No offence to Andy as much as I'd love him to be world number 1, his clay results will always hold him back from reaching his goal, espescially with consistent point collectors like Nadal and Djokovic around.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »