Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray at the moment the second best tennis player?
YES - 17 (70.8%)
NO - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment?

(Read 4397 times)
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Hmm! Interesting debate. I'd tend to agree with the argument that rankings reflect year round results and so based on Andy's results in the past 12 months - yes! Otherwise you coould give an argument for djiokovic not playing like a no 1 based on his Madrid loss, Federer not no 3 etc. If we are in an era of a big 3/4/5 (whatever your personal preference is, mine is 4) then they are all going to hit peaks and troughs at different times creating results that don't match their rankings. They are also up there to be shot at by lower ranked players who will always come out swinging freely esp ifthey think the surface gives them a chance. The top players will be hopingto win whilst leaving something more in the tank for the next round. Sometimes these 2 combined works against them and upsets happen. I think the rankings are an accurate reflection. Rafa has picked up lots of points in lesser events and probably is also going all out to pick up whatever points he can while his knees are allowing him to in case he has to take any more time out. I have the feeling Andy and Djokovic are biding their time - they played like the top two in the Australian swing and are having a wee bit ofa  hiatus till the time of year that suits their game best - which is basically June - December - though Nole with a decent claycourt game has a good shot at RG so that will also be on his radar
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Good posting!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Also, as was previously mentioned, struggles on clay never stopped Sampras being no 1. Likewise Becker and Edberg. Becker never won a clay title and only once reached the French semis. Edberg's record wasn't too much better.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Good posting!

Thanks. I do try! hug
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

The three most important words in this question as to whether Andy really is the no 2 player in the world are "at the moment"   Yes he is at the moment. Who knows how long he'll be in this position noone can look into the future I hope he'll be there for a long time until he's ready to challenge Djokovic  for the top slot
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Also, as was previously mentioned, struggles on clay never stopped Sampras being no 1. Likewise Becker and Edberg. Becker never won a clay title and only once reached the French semis. Edberg's record wasn't too much better.

I didn't realise Becker had never won a clay title. You learn a new thing every day lol. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though, given the way he played.

I don't think Andy's issues with the clay will prevent him getting to no.1. It would clearly be 'easier' to do it if he didn't have a few weeks of the year where he doesn't perform quite as well (relatively speaking that is), but I think he can make points up on the surfaces he plays well on. Then again, I still think Andy will work the clay out at some point. There are people who said Andy would never win a major and he did. I think he can prove people who say he can't play on clay wrong too.

One of the things I forgot to mention about the last year for Andy is the two Masters finals he got to in 2012. Sure, he didn't win either of them (he did have match points in Shanghai though), but still. The fact that he put himself in a position to win another Masters so soon after winning the USO speaks volumes for him as a person and for his level of play now. In Shanghai Djokovic had to dig right in to his bag of tricks to beat Andy, and as for Federer, I still think that was funny, but I'm rotten lol.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Who can say how long Andy will remain number 2 in the rankings. It is obvious that he's not that great on clay courts but every point he wins counts. Do not forget Nole he can beat Nadal on clay and on hardcourts. Will Nadal play on hardcourts and be competetive, that is the big question. So let's just wait and see how the future tournaments pan out. I think Smugfed is out of the competition unless he plays in most tournaments.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Agree with all your postings Westie.  Andy's No 2 rating has got him there by sheer hard work and physical fitness along with a natural talent whereas Nadal has had to take time off for various physical ailments over the years resulting in not playing tournaments which could affect his participation in the clay court season.  Btw Lendl was always uncomfortable on grass and never won Wimbledon, I wouldn't like to well him he was not worthy of a No 1 spot! Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Agree with all your postings Westie.  Andy's No 2 rating has got him there by sheer hard work and physical fitness along with a natural talent whereas Nadal has had to take time off for various physical ailments over the years resulting in not playing tournaments which could affect his participation in the clay court season.  Btw Lendl was always uncomfortable on grass and never won Wimbledon, I wouldn't like to well him he was not worthy of a No 1 spot! Whistle

Iris, I'll tell him if you like, but can I stand (well, sit in my case lol) behind you while I'm doing it?

If I remember rightly Lendl was one of those players who always thought grass was for cows lol.
IP Logged
Moozza

Nadal will never return to #1. Monte Carlo was proof of that. Roland Garros will be further proof.

And yes, Murray is the rightful #2. Rankings are not based on two months of the year. They are based on 12. In the last 12 Murray has won a Slam, made two further Slam finals, won the Olympics, a Masters, made a Masters final and the WTF SFs.

Nadal always has a strong first half of the year. He is one of the two best players on clay in the world, no doubt about it. He usually struggles a bit more in the second half. Is he better than Murray on Grass or Hard? We'll find out, but Murray's achievements in the last 12 months are easily worthy of the #2 rank.

Let's not get carried away based on half of the clay season, please.

This guy has it right.

People are focussing too much on what is happening right now. Sure Nadal is doing better now but that's pretty much down to the fact we are currently playing on what is by far Nadals best surface and by far Murrays weakest. The clay season is only a small part of the year and Nadal has yet to really prove himself off it since his return.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

If Andy's form was considerably down compared with the previous year's clay season, then you could argue that it's only a matter of time before he drops his points, but actually, he's slightly ahead on clay compared with last year, so while he doesn't pick up points at a great rate during the clay season, it's not a reason to say he's playing below the form that got him to #2.

You could make a case that Fed isn't really the #3 player, because he's steadily losing points in every tournament compared with last year, so if this trend continues, he's going to become lower ranked.   Then again, I reckon his form will pick up a little bit for the rest of the clay season.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

I was aying today that Sharapova used not to be good on clay but now she has improved so much RG last year etc.  So there is hope for our Andy.  The ranking points are gained whatever surface you are on.  So if you are very good on two it does not matter is you have one lessd good.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Iris, I'll tell him if you like, but can I stand (well, sit in my case lol) behind you while I'm doing it?

If I remember rightly Lendl was one of those players who always thought grass was for cows
lol.

I thought it was the Spanish players who thought that back in the 90s when some of them were about to boycott it?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Although Andy's obviously not the second best on clay, he's earnt his ranking position over a 12 month period and I'm sure once the clay season is over he'll be back to making more finals again. Rafa's comeback would have looked a lot different if he'd played Doha, AO, Dubai like he usually does - I doubt whether he'd have reached the final in all of these events. At the moment his season is progressing as expected, reaching all the clay finals. What was more impressive was his IW run, although it is the one hardcourt Masters that suits his game the most.

We don't yet know whether he'll even play a full season though - will his knees stand up to that? Or will he just focus primarily on the clay season? If his knees are still a problem, then I imagine playing on hardcourts aren't going to do them much good.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

No Andy isn't realistically No.2 - he's No.1 - in my world at least and always will be!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »